True Detective IX - Cohle Logic

Stubby

Same just idk he seems to have a lot of "haters". I've always enjoyed him

When it comes to people like Pitt and Clooney it seems as if a lot of the complaints I hear are about their public persona overwhelming whatever character they choose to play. Which is odd since Pitt especially has done some pretty different characters.

I can definitely see Brad Pitt in this series. He's played a variety of odd characters and has also starred in some of the darkest movies in the last 20 years: Seven, 12 Monkeys, Fight Club.

When it comes to people like Pitt and Clooney it seems as if a lot of the complaints I hear are about their public persona overwhelming whatever character they choose to play. Which is odd since Pitt especially has done some pretty different characters.

Aren't they both supposed to be pretty all right guys anyway though?

Imo Pitt is more than alright. Fight Club is probably my favourite movie, and he was great in it.

Outside of Moneyball (and FC), nothing's really stood out as a great performance. He has been consistently very good (not great) though.

Anyone who hasn't seen Pitt in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is not only missing one of his best performances, but also one of the most under-appreciated movies of the last several years. It's great, he's great in it, and if he did decide to join up for a season of True Detective (however unlikely that is), then I'd be more than down for it.

It's not that they're not alright people (though I hear some snide things about Clooney) it's that they're everywhere. They're very famous dudes so people build up an image in their minds of them and carry it into movies and if the character in the film isn't that distinct it seems to be seen as "Brad Pitt or George Clooney in X" (Gravity for example). A shame, he has had some distinct roles.

It's not that they're not alright people (though I hear some snide things about Clooney) it's that they're everywhere. They're very famous dudes so people build up an image in their minds of them and carry it into movies and if the character in the film isn't that distinct it seems to be seen as "Brad Pitt or George Clooney in X" (Gravity for example). A shame, he has had some distinct roles.

That's kind of why I'd like to see Ed Norton in True Detective. He's every bit as talented as all these guys, but comes with none of this persona business. He definitely wouldn't be bigger than his character, something that can't be said about Pitt.

Plus I just think Norton and this dark, moody atmosphere is a hand-in-glove fit.

Anyone who hasn't seen Pitt in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is not only missing one of his best performances, but also one of the most under-appreciated movies of the last several years. It's great, he's great in it, and if he did decide to join up for a season of True Detective (however unlikely that is), then I'd be more than down for it.

Yes!!

How about both Brad Pitt AND Ed Norton for an encore. This short version drama in and out format is perfect for big stars. Can't wait for next season.

I would love Ed Norton. But if that throwaway comment from NP is right then this one will be about the women no? Which actress would I want to play the "hard woman/cop" type he talked about? Glenn Close has already done it. And off the top of my head I can't think of any other female movie stars migrating to HBO.

Thoughts?

Imo Pitt is more than alright. Fight Club is probably my favourite movie, and he was great in it.

Outside of Moneyball (and FC), nothing's really stood out as a great performance. He has been consistently very good (not great) though.

Seriously?

12 Monkeys

Seven

River Runs Through It

The Cohen Bros film where he's the fitness guru (forgetting the name of the film)

The Assassination of Jesse James

These are all great performances on par with, if not better than both FC and MB IMO.

Seriously?

12 Monkeys

Seven

River Runs Through It

The Cohen Bros film where he's the fitness guru (forgetting the name of the film)

The Assassination of Jesse James

These are all great performances on par with, if not better than both FC and MB IMO.

I forgot to mention I haven't seen all his movies. I thought he was good in Se7en, but Spacey stole the show. I'll eventually check out 12 monkeys and Assassination of jesse james, as those are on my backlog of movies.

Something tells me that the second season will have a wider (though still limited) focus, and that we'll be getting characters on 'both sides' of the story. Since we know that "hard women, bad men, and the secret occult history of the U.S. transportation system" is the vague log-line for season two, I think we can also discern that we're going to see the location set out on the west coast (which would also jive with Pizzolatto mentioning that the color palette of the show will also change significantly in season two, to reflect the different mood), but I wonder if it will end up being a period piece...

Probably not, if only because of the increased amount of production time that would entail, but it's possible. If they're shooting in L.A., they'd have plenty of pre-existing back lots to utilize.

The bigger thing is that the rumor about Brad Pitt joining the cast. I thought that was just forum talk, but apparently it's really heading in that direction. Makes me wonder if they'll also go after Angelina Jolie, considering the "hard women" description...

Archived