True Detective IX - Cohle Logic

Stubby

I keep thinking back to the scene where Cohle sees the spiral galaxy, or whatever it was... I think the show is saying most people seeing that cosmic insanity would go insane like Ledoux and Childress, but for Cohle that was a moment of clarity and change where he became capable of hope. That hope was due to the self-awareness he achieved in knowing that he, perhaps uniquely due to his philosophy, could look into the face of cosmic insanity and remain sane.

We see that capacity to remain sane earlier too. When Marty is distraught and kills Ledoux, Ruste remains rational and knows exactly what to do "to make this look right", covering up the murder, despite being every bit as appalled as Marty is.

And the whole 6-minute sequence in the projects, again he remains sane and rational despite the craziness of the situation and being very high.

Just watched the final episode. Can someone explain to me why painting the house green = green ears? Why the hell would his ears be green lol

I thought it meant that he would still have had green paint on him when he was chasing that little girl through the forest, the one that escaped. She described him as having green ears. Marty made the connection that the green paint would have explained it, IMO.

You know when you have a paper due and you didn't do it until the last minute and you're sleepy and you just want to be done so you just make shit up and use Google for filler? Yeah, that's what I think happened..

Agreed. Weird they didn't find a way to use the muffs. :dunno:

it makes sense that it was originally intended to be that, but couldnt find a way for them to go from the idea of earmuffs to finding the specific guy wearing earmuffs.

it makes sense that it was originally intended to be that, but couldnt find a way for them to go from the idea of earmuffs to finding the specific guy wearing earmuffs.

That's my thought on it. Rust would have made the leap much sooner if he had seen them when he first met Errol at the school - he's too observant. They could have placed the muffs in the abandoned classroom for Rust to find when he was there in '02, like Errol just forgot them in the clutter of Traps. This would have been more logical and more in keeping with the rest of the 'hidden clues'.

However, this would have also made it even more unbalanced toward Rust being the sole reason they solve the case, so tada! magical thinking so Marty would have some input.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished the last four episodes. This really was a great series and I look forward to next year (although I hope I'll be able to follow it from week to week then, because I would have loved to take part in all the crazy discussions).

Anyone who hasn't seen Pitt in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is not only missing one of his best performances, but also one of the most under-appreciated movies of the last several years. It's great, he's great in it, and if he did decide to join up for a season of True Detective (however unlikely that is), then I'd be more than down for it.

:bowdown: One of my all time favorites!

I keep thinking back to the scene where Cohle sees the spiral galaxy, or whatever it was... I think the show is saying most people seeing that cosmic insanity would go insane like Ledoux and Childress, but for Cohle that was a moment of clarity and change where he became capable of hope. That hope was due to the self-awareness he achieved in knowing that he, perhaps uniquely due to his philosophy, could look into the face of cosmic insanity and remain sane.

We see that capacity to remain sane earlier too. When Marty is distraught and kills Ledoux, Ruste remains rational and knows exactly what to do "to make this look right", covering up the murder, despite being every bit as appalled as Marty is.

And the whole 6-minute sequence in the projects, again he remains sane and rational despite the craziness of the situation and being very high.

That's a very good explanation. I wondered about that sequence in Carcossa, but your explanation is more than satisfying.

Going full historical western would be a good way to differentiate it from the previous season.

I'm a big Western fan (though more of the Spaghetti Westerns) and I really hope they don't go that way with TD.

"hard women, bad men, and the secret occult history of the U.S. transportation system"

Ah! They're going to do a period piece with trains and Pinkertons and all of that...yeah... :P

I hope they do something with truck drivers in the modern age (anywhere from 1970 to the present day perhaps). As a foreigner I have always been intrigued by the truck drivers in the US and their world would be suited for a show like TD. I remember a program about serial killers on National Geographic (IIRC) where they talked about a case where a truckdriver/serial killer had been able to escape the cops for so long because he travelled from city to city throughout the country.

Also, I read this an interview that Pizzolatto did with buzzfeed:

Let’s assume there’s a second season. Since you’ve said you don’t like serial killer stories, I wonder what other sort of crimes there are that can sustain an eight- or ten-episode anthology?

NP: Oh, all kinds of conspiracies suggest themselves. Especially if, like me, you’ve been reading about the last 40 years of Southern California government.

Anyone familiar with stories from this period on which a season of TD could be based?

Archived