True Detective IX - Cohle Logic

Stubby

I really enjoyed the first three episodes for the flashbacks, but the last 6 minutes of episode 4 still rank the highest for me of any television. Ever. :commie:

all right, all right, all right. Me too. Gonna be that guy who decides to inject himself into the conversation. But did anybody else think Marty Hart was the Yellow King for awhile?

It looks like George R.R. Martin is the Yellow King: http://www.wired.com/2014/04/game-of-thrones-maps-secrets/#slide-id-642503

I actually have that Map Guide. Pretty cool illustrations iv'e been wanting to get framed. But never saw that awesome!

:lol: great. just great.

Edit: sorry for the double post gang still learning the way this all works.

Even though I doubt it will happen, I really really want Cary Fukunaga back directing for season 2. In my opinion the directing was the absolute best quality of season 1, rivalled only by the acting. As if one even needed any more reason to want Fukunaga back, especially after that amazing long take in episode 4, after watching his first film, Sin Nombre, and loving it, the guy really is a master of directing and atmosphere. In my opinion he is the most valuable and irreplaceable part of this show, even more so than Nick Pizzolatto.

• 4 weeks later...

I realize I'm way late to the party, but this was one fantastic show. I'm glad there's only one season with this cast though, both because I feel that another ten episodes of Marty/Rust banter would have watered down the characters and also because a big bad like the Yellow King only work as long as it's unknown.

As to the critique of Childress being an ugly hillbilly; I thought it was made perfectly clear that the powerful people could be monsters too, seeing how was just one part of a greater organization.

Even though I doubt it will happen, I really really want Cary Fukunaga back directing for season 2. In my opinion the directing was the absolute best quality of season 1, rivalled only by the acting. As if one even needed any more reason to want Fukunaga back, especially after that amazing long take in episode 4, after watching his first film, Sin Nombre, and loving it, the guy really is a master of directing and atmosphere. In my opinion he is the most valuable and irreplaceable part of this show, even more so than Nick Pizzolatto.

This is my biggest fear of Season 2. The writing was good, but the directing was absolutely superb.

The more I've had time to dwell on the show the more I'm inclined to agree. While the writing is very strong it wasn't as consistent as the directing/acting. The thing is film still seems to be where Directors want to go - understandable since they have the most power there, TV still seems to be the place where the writers have most clout (especially if they also direct).

One thing that encourages me though is that I suspect Nic has a lot of the scenes written in a cinematic way so that while another director may not be as skilled they'll still execute things in a fairly similar way. A bit like how other shows can have a variety of directors (and even writers) and still maintain the overall look and feel as long as the showrunner(s) have a tight handle on things.

I was hoping we'd have some more info on the sequel by now. Guess they are still shopping for actors.Not sure if I want the Brad Pitt runours to be true or not. I guess if the characterisation is as good in the second season there's a chance for him to shine.

After seeing him in Hannibal, I'd be a lot more excited if Michael Piit was the Pitt in question.

I loved him on Boardwalk but I think its pretty cool how True Detective seems to be bringing these big movie names to TV and I'm a Brad Pitt fan so id be very pleased if all these rumors bear fruit.

I loved him on Boardwalk but I think its pretty cool how True Detective seems to be bringing these big movie names to TV and I'm a Brad Pitt fan so id be very pleased if all these rumors bear fruit.

yeah, good point on the first season casting movie stars. I guess Michael Pitt has been doing TV a bit too long now to count at all.

Angelina Jolie in the show could also be good.

Archived