True Detective IX - Cohle Logic

Stubby

First of all, great post. I can fully see how you have brought yourself to this conclusion, and in the end of things, you are right in what you say the show was about.

I disagree with the premise that there wasn't a ton of misdirection in the writing though. The very nature of the characters themselves forced you to try and view the world in a non traditional manner. With hallucinations thrown in for good matter, the writer was asking you to see things from different angles. There were red herring clues scattered throughout the series.

I see this show as a straight forward tale told from a circular perspective.

But those hallucinations and attempts to sway your opinions aren't red herrings. There's no misdirection in any of that. They are trying to get you to, for instance, buy in to Rust's nihilism. To see things from a different angle, as you put it. And then, of course, to then bring you to catharsis along with the character.

But none of that is a red herring or misdirection. None of that is trying to get you to buy in to anything more complicated then what the story presents. It's all just trying to set a mood and get the audience into a certain mindset.

There's a difference between trying to create a distorted window for you to view the series' world through and trying to create the impression of an elaborate complicated plot. It's a very simple plot that tries to set a tone and a mood for the piece and that tone and mood don't create the impression of complexity in plotting. Rust may talk about circular perspectives but the show itself is not told from one. The show is actually really really simple in execution. It's not a Nolan film or anything.

Love this quote:

"Not a single rumour about casting that has been printed anywhere has any truth to it whatsoever. I've seen entertainment reporters say 'my sources say' and there are no sources. There's me and two other guys and they don't even know what I'm doing," he said.

So many liars posing as reporters out there.

:lol:

Love that, hope some real casting deetz drop soon though.

I didn't have a problem with all the theories that were thrown around while the show was airing. I'm even not sure why some people are so worked up about that to be honest. What I do find annoying however, are all the people who bashed the show because their batshit theories were not confirmed. Especially the Maggie did it crowd and the people who thought that the finale is going to be entirely about Audrey's abuse.

One thing that I find funny are the people who were making up all sorts of ridiculous theories during the show and are now saying "OMG! I totally agree all that theorizing was insane man!!!"

But if you step back and rethink everything and just see it as a great little character study with incredible acting and dialogue and filming that was ultimately just a journey through life with our two leads and some kind of spiritual peace for the character of Cohle...at least for this viewer, it ends up quite satisfying indeed.

Completely agreed. One of the best things about the show for me was the realism shown in that the two leads were often lying to themselves or were really not how they wanted the world to view them. We, the audience, could see this in their behavior while they often could not. I thought that was brilliant!

I didn't have a problem with all the theories that were thrown around while the show was airing. I'm even not sure why some people are so worked up about that to be honest. What I do find annoying however, are all the people who bashed the show because their batshit theories were not confirmed. Especially the Maggie did it crowd and the people who thought that the finale is going to be entirely about Audrey's abuse.

One thing that I find funny are the people who were making up all sorts of ridiculous theories during the show and are now saying "OMG! I totally agree all that theorizing was insane man!!!"

Yeah, I enjoyed pondering different theories, but there was an obsessive component that was a little, uh, mental with some of our fellow fans of the show.

They know who they are. ;)

Man, I hate Ginger. One of the stupidest characters I have ever had the pleasure of viewing, entertaining as hell though. Cohle says it himself, something like "You f*cking moron, I should have done this from the start."

Man, I hate Ginger. One of the stupidest characters I have ever had the pleasure of viewing, entertaining as hell though. Cohle says it himself, something like "You f*cking moron, I should have done this from the start."

You just SHUT YOUR FACE RIGHT NOW.

The stuff with Marty's daughter was the one thing I was expecting them to do more with. If they weren't intending to imply some sort of trauma or abuse, I think they missed the mark with what they showed.

The stuff with Marty's daughter was the one thing I was expecting them to do more with. If they weren't intending to imply some sort of trauma or abuse, I think they missed the mark with what they showed.

That was one of the main red herrings that I was referring to earlier. I think that the implications that she was abused was an intentional writing tool. There were several more. I wasn't one of the tinfoil hat people coming up with theories, but I definitely thought that there were several different possibilities in the resolution to the show all the way until the final episode.

I still say that the director is the most unsung hero of this whole thing. It was a visual spectacle.

Hell, there were even moments when the direction was so good that it added to the belief that there was something even more profound going on like that final shot in the abandoned church where Cohle keeps examining the bird catchers while the camera zooms out. It was just a cool final scene but it felt like we were touching the absolute or something.

I completely agree. Along with the acting from MM &WH the direction was the best part of show. I'm not going to lie it concerns me next season could have a significant drop in quality with a new director.

That was one of the main red herrings that I was referring to earlier. I think that the implications that she was abused was an intentional writing tool. There were several more. I wasn't one of the tinfoil hat people coming up with theories, but I definitely thought that there were several different possibilities in the resolution to the show all the way until the final episode.

I think one can still believe that. It's a totally valid reading of the series. It's just they don't really do alot with it. It's never fleshed out as anything more then a background detail about the effects of Marty's neglect.

I still say that the director is the most unsung hero of this whole thing. It was a visual spectacle.

I don't think he's unsung. Fukunaga is justifiably getting mad props over this.

Frankly, the writing is the weakest part of this series. Not in that it's bad, cause it's fantastic. It's just the direction and acting is even better. It's just too good.

I completely agree. Along with the acting from MM &WH the direction was the best part of show. I'm not going to lie it concerns me next season could have a significant drop in quality with a new director.

I'm with you but I believe Fukunaga is consulting so hopefully it'll be ok.

I don't actually mind a different style (I'd actually prefer one) but I really hope the quality remains as high and I really hope they try and stick with one director because I thought it really sold the visual novel aspect of the whole thing.

We just marathoned the whole season. Hadn't heard a thing...avoided it for so long because I thought it was one of those real life crime things which creep me out.

Anyways, nailing fictional mysteries is just about the best thing I do, and got this one pretty cold. Not so much from contextual clues, but from why and how things are presented. Figured the preacher and the lawn mower guy on first appearance, the second mostly due to the way Mcconehey was pulled off him and the need to present the guy sitting down, and he kind of gave me a Maury Chakin vibe. My gf even added that she thought the green ears would be ear mufflers he'd wear to drown out the mower noise, which was a nice thought, though ultimately off. Anticipated lots of stuff, including the revenge sex deal, the bar owner as sniper, the lines about doubts and so forth coming home to roost. Show had some blends of James Ellroy and a touch of Twin Peaks and standard asocial genius/normalizing partner who gets flipped upside down. But really well done for all that. No real surprises, though, but that's rare. Nicely done roles all the way down. About episode 1 or 2 I toyed with the idea that MM or even WH might have recreated the crimes to give himself a purpose, but more in a 'that would be an idea that would sell to a studio' way than a plot-based one.

Was really hoping they wouldn't let up on the nihilism deal, but kinda figured a U.S. show would need it. At least they didn't Wilmot it, but it was still a bit of a let down.

Edit: I had no idea there were all these theories. The wife?

The Ginger obsession on this forum is more baffling to me than all the crazy theories combined. :P

Yep. How this Ginger nonsense took over the TD threads overnight is beyond me.

I wonder if Ginger ever got out of that ditch?

I don't think Cohle would leave him in a state where he could just escape. The implication is that he starved to death in there.

Archived