True Detective IX - Cohle Logic

Stubby

I wonder if we will continue to hear about "the Yellow King" and "Caracosa"?

The only way that happens is if it's Ginger telling the tale. I can see him now, an old man at the old folks home spinning a yarn that no one believes except for the plucky rookie detective who happens upon him.

The only way that happens is if it's Ginger telling the tale. I can see him now, an old man at the old folks home spinning a yarn that no one believes except for the plucky rookie detective who happens upon him.

I think it was also written into the contract that ginger appears in every season

Nictarion,

The Ginger love reminds me off the love for Stannis....needless to say I don't understand it.

This. "True Detective" has some increibly good characterization and interesting (challenging) philosphical positions. Why are we talking about a throwaway two episode character.

Does anyone else think that Rust's renaisance of hope could actually be a defeat? While he held to his nihilism he was a razor cutting through the bullshit he saw all around him. He was a weapon against the "darkness". It seems hope may, oxymoronically, have dulled him and taken him out of the fight making Rust's victory a phyric one .

If so, who was defeated? It isn't like Cohle, for all his crusading, could really make a dent in the darkness. He brought down one serial killer, but the organisation behind that guy remained.

Cohle couldn't save the world on his own anyway, so if he found some peace at the expense of his crusade, I'd say that's a victory for him.

Sure, but he left a decade ago (or whatever timeframe it was). And even if he solved every single case, we would need thousands more like him to make a difference, and really, this isn't a war won by the police anyway. If you want to defeat it, look at the structures enabling it. Cohle is on the punitive end, and what we need is prevention, so good on Cohle if he found some peace ;)

Nictarion,

This. "True Detective" has some increibly good characterization and interesting (challenging) philosphical positions. Why are we talking about a throwaway two episode character.

Does anyone else think that Rust's renaisance of hope could actually be a defeat? While he held to his nihilism he was a razor cutting through the bullshit he saw all around him. He was a weapon against the "darkness". It seems hope may, oxymoronically, have dulled him and taken him out of the fight making Rust's victory a phyric one .

I don't think so. His nihilism was never what was pushing him forward.

Mikeal,

But if this is a "war" and Cohle kept winning his battles isn't Cohle leaving the war a victory for "darkness"?

Not really. He'll still do what he can. And they can't do everything. As Marty says, they got there guy. They did there part.

Shryke,

The contrast and juxtiposition of Cohle's nihilism and his drive to protect people is what I found fascinating. That coupled with the suggestion of the supernatural (via the hallucinations and lawnmower man's seeming knowledge of Cohle) made me wonder if taking Cohle out was the goal at that point.

Why call Cohle "little priest"? It really seems like he could "see" Cohle. I can 't wait to see where they go with this next season.

I think that the ultimate point of the Rust character was that he was not a nihilist. He was a man that had experienced horrible things and wanted to embrace the philosophy but ultimately found that it was diametrically opposed to his nature.

Shryke,

The contrast and juxtiposition of Cohle's nihilism and his drive to protect people is what I found fascinating. That coupled with the suggestion of the supernatural (via the hallucinations and lawnmower man's seeming knowledge of Cohle) made me wonder if taking Cohle out was the goal at that point.

Why call Cohle "little priest"? It really seems like he could "see" Cohle. I can 't wait to see where they go with this next season.

Rust isn't a nihilist though, he only pretends to be one to try and cover up his pain.

I'll be watching this for the first time in a couple of weeks. Just picked up the Blu-Ray. Actually went to get Season 2 of House of Cards but decided that could wait a bit longer, as I only watched Season 1 a couple of months ago.

Cohle's Rochester moment isn't IMO a loss in some metaphysical battlefield, but it's a loss for the audience. It's interesting to note that pundits are now suggesting Hillary Clinton has essentially declared because she made the Bible comment.

• 2 weeks later...

New interview with Nic Pizzolatto in light of his Emmy nomination.

The big news is that one of the intended side characters for S2 has expanded, and he now considers there to be four lead characters.

No one has been cast yet, the show will take place in California (although it may not have anything to do with the transportation system), and he's roughly halfway done with writing the scripts.

Archived