True Detective IX - Cohle Logic

Stubby

Not from any description of the writing process. Or for any reason really.

There's nothing in the ending that indicates there was any confusion or indecision about what that ending was going to be about.

I know this is an old post, but apparently the last few episodes could have been written in a rush given that when they started shooting, they didn't have scripts for the last 2-3 episodes and the shooting schedule was apparently quite intense. Hardly beyond the realm of possibility that it might have been rushed writing process.

The True Detective threads moved far too quickly for me to keep up, but I certainly enjoyed the show. Watched it again these past couple of weeks and it certainly holds up. I'm still disappointed with the last episode, but I still enjoy the show more than enough, I will also say that my disappointment had zero to do with the 'fever pitch' built up by our threads here, as I was barely able to follow them, it just seemed like a let down.

I know this is an old post, but apparently the last few episodes could have been written in a rush given that when they started shooting, they didn't have scripts for the last 2-3 episodes and the shooting schedule was apparently quite intense. Hardly beyond the realm of possibility that it might have been rushed writing process.

The True Detective threads moved far too quickly for me to keep up, but I certainly enjoyed the show. Watched it again these past couple of weeks and it certainly holds up. I'm still disappointed with the last episode, but I still enjoy the show more than enough, I will also say that my disappointment had zero to do with the 'fever pitch' built up by our threads here, as I was barely able to follow them, it just seemed like a let down.

Where's it say this? Everything I've read says he wrote the whole show over the course of a few weeks in the summer.

Where's it say this? Everything I've read says he wrote the whole show over the course of a few weeks in the summer.

Apparently it's one of the interviews that Fukunaga did, though I haven't read one of those. The place I got it from was a Filmcast podcast episode I heard on True Detectiive, well worth your time if you're a fan of the show by the way. Here's the episode if you're interested, Tasha Robinson articulates my disappointment in the show quite well.

Edit: I was able to google and it's an interview with indiewire, here's the link.

When you shoot episodically you stop and you prep the next episode, but we didn't have scripts for the last 2 episodes when we started and we didn’t have schedules or anything, we knew basically when we would have it finished by, but that was it.

So there’s 300-and-something locations in the film and hundreds of speaking roles. Each location has to be vetted multiple times, then you need to bring department heads there to tech scout it. So we were basically shooting and prepping at the same time the last two months of the shoot which meant we had full shooting days—12 to 14 hours—plus four more at lunch or during shooting, scouting with the crew or doing castings or doing something related to the post-production that was happening at the same time… editing during weekends…

I'm very late to this party. I just watched the entire first season for the first time over the past 3 weeks. That was an amazing experience. Hands-down some of the best television ever made. The story-telling, the ambiguous and misleading hints and foreshadowing, the relationships between characters, the atmosphere conjured from the setting, the tension in the final pursuit, the closing scene, the perspective on marriage and people changing, even the imperfect resolution of loose threads.

I read some criticisms in this thread. Some of which are kind of valid and yet none of them took me out of the story or caused me to suspend disbelief. I won't debate them now but I think they were all acceptable decisions by the writer/director to deliver the story.

I'm psyched to hear there will be a second series. Although I hugely enjoyed McConaughy and Harrelson, I am fully on board with having new characters next time. Part of the story was the audience's uncertainty of Rust and of how Rust and Marty's relationship would end up. I would enjoy watching their interaction again but the story would be weaker without that uncertainty. I'm excited to see what the next characters and story will be.

Cohle's Rochester moment isn't IMO a loss in some metaphysical battlefield, but it's a loss for the audience. It's interesting to note that pundits are now suggesting Hillary Clinton has essentially declared because she made the Bible comment.

How was it a loss for the audience?

How was it a loss for the audience?

Nihilistic and cynical Rust > Emotional and spiritual Rust

At least that's how I see it. He was just way more entertaining and fun to watch when he was blathering on about dumb philosophies than when he's considering the possibility of some afterlife near-death experience nonsense.

Nihilistic and cynical Rust > Emotional and spiritual Rust

At least that's how I see it. He was just way more entertaining and fun to watch when he was blathering on about dumb philosophies than when he's considering the possibility of some afterlife near-death experience nonsense.

Except the show was almost done.

I might not be one of those people but I would say that a significant portion of the audience-if not the majority- sees Rust abandoning the Dark Side at the end (when no more drama can be wrung from it) a victory. Nihilists like Rust are fun for a while when you want to get a darker look at the world but I think people find it more cathartic when they come over to the over side. Especially when they're characterized the way Rust is, which makes his philosophical position a result of his psychological wounds.

Raja,

Will you please articulate your disappointment?

I wasn't massively disappointed, but I certainly felt that it ended with a whimper ay the end. I didn't buy Rust coming over to the light side, that transformation he had towards the end didn't work for me. And if you can't buy his arc, then the ending falls quite flat. It just seemed very sudden, and I get that he saw his daughter and everything he said to Marty at the end there, but still, going for that happyish ending at the end left me disappointed. That 'light is winning' scene made me cringe. I didn't feel that the show earned that, and it seemed tacked on at the end.

Secondly, when we finally get a peek at the person behind all of it, it just seems like every other story, with some guy in an abandoned house who for some strange reason speaks in different accents ( though the writer went on to explain why that is in interviews) He seemed like a caricature of a character, and a very poor one at that. It felt slightly stereotypical to me.

I also hope we get the two female leads we were promised in the second season, would be disappointed if that does not end up happening.

Colin Farrell? Meh.

Raja,

Up thread there is a great article on how Rust's rebirth of hope is actually a victory for "the Yellow King". It folds into the repeated juxtipositions and oxymoronic philosophical positions (as compaired to Rust's actions) that are portrayed throughout season one of TD.

Archived