True Detective IX - Cohle Logic

Stubby

Seriously, can we end the Ginger shit please? The season is over, we're talking about Season 2 and Ginger fucking blows. So tired of it.

As long as there is a proper Gingeresque character for the works to go crazy over in the second season.

As long as there is a proper Gingeresque character for the works to go crazy over in the second season.

This forum is notorious for taking a moderately funny joke and destroying it by constant repetition across multiple iterations of threads. It's soooo tiresome.

because a few posts about Ginger JUST FUCKING RUINS YOUR DAY!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, god forbid people have fun on here.

Ruins my day? No. Makes me want to avoid the thread? Absolutely. If you want to post about Ginger, go the fuck ahead, but at the same time, if I want to post how I'm so tired of the joke that's been in five iterations of this thread constantly, even in season 2 threads, then I will. You post, I post. Deal with it as I have up until this point.

The casting choice that I am the most pumped up about is Vince Vaughn.

Agreed. I can't remember for sure if I've seen any of his dramatic roles before, but there's always a hint of sociopathy bubbling beneath the surface in his comedic roles. I can imagine that some really interesting performances could show up if he lets that part of himself fly free. Like how Robin Williams is disturbingly good at playing murderers.

Agreed. I can't remember for sure if I've seen any of his dramatic roles before, but there's always a hint of sociopathy bubbling beneath the surface in his comedic roles. I can imagine that some really interesting performances could show up if he lets that part of himself fly free. Like how Robin Williams is disturbingly good at playing murderers.

Agreed. Plus, if the role was written with him specifically in mind, it should really fit. It would be inspired casting again.

Agreed. Plus, if the role was written with him specifically in mind, it should really fit. It would be inspired casting again.

Just so long as it was Vaughn in mind, not Vaughn as Norman Bates remaking Psycho in mind...

I have only seen like maybe two episodes of Mad Men, and I had the urge to turn the TV off whenever Elizabeth Moss' character appeared on screen (granted, that was true for just about every other character that wasn't Don or one of the head honchos at the firm). I don't think I've seen her in anything besides that, so pardon me if I hope this is just another rumor and nothing comes of it.

Taylor Kitsch has been in what, a dozen movies? And he has played a minor role in all but a couple, if I'm not mistaken. Plus, from what I've seen of him, he doesn't have the acting chops to pull off this kind of gig. So again, I hope it's just another rumor.

I've mostly seen Vince Vaugh in comedies, but for some reason I think he'd be a good fit for the role of the villain. Like someone above me said, it always looks like he hides a sociopath inside of him in most of his comic characters.

Also: please, please, please get Collin Farrell on this show. He's a terrific actor, one of my favorites, and I would love it if someone threw him a bone that sky-rocketed his career like it did Matthew's.

Taylor Kitsch has been in what, a dozen movies? And he has played a minor role in all but a couple, if I'm not mistaken. Plus, from what I've seen of him, he doesn't have the acting chops to pull off this kind of gig. So again, I hope it's just another rumor.

He's pretty good in Friday Night Lights, truth be told. Not a staggering acting talent, but definitely able to play a troubled soul without coming across as trite or manufactured. He might actually surprise you, given a proper script. I'm more worried about Farrell.

He's pretty good in Friday Night Lights, truth be told. Not a staggering acting talent, but definitely able to play a troubled soul without coming across as trite or manufactured. He might actually surprise you, given a proper script. I'm more worried about Farrell.

Yeah, I think my whole post in general was full of bias. I've only seen Kitsch in John Carter and Savages, both of which are films I'd rather forget, and his talent didn't particularly catch my attention. Friday Night Lights has been on my watch list for a pretty long time, so whenever I decide to actually watch it, I'll be sure to check him out. And hey, I'm open to new things. Before True Detective, I thought of Matthew as the rom-com guy and never would have though he'd bring a character like Rust to life like he did.

I'm also biased towards Farrell, but in this case, in a positive way. I've only watched a few of his movies, but I feel like he really proved his acting capabilities with In Bruges.

How was it a loss for the audience?

Catharthisis/condescension/playing to base.

x defined by view of world...progresses through defined as such, odyssey ends, results contingent on world view, then the audience gets a pat on it's ontological head and is sent to bed.

I wasn't massively disappointed, but I certainly felt that it ended with a whimper ay the end. I didn't buy Rust coming over to the light side, that transformation he had towards the end didn't work for me. And if you can't buy his arc, then the ending falls quite flat. It just seemed very sudden, and I get that he saw his daughter and everything he said to Marty at the end there, but still, going for that happyish ending at the end left me disappointed. That 'light is winning' scene made me cringe. I didn't feel that the show earned that, and it seemed tacked on at the end.

Secondly, when we finally get a peek at the person behind all of it, it just seems like every other story, with some guy in an abandoned house who for some strange reason speaks in different accents ( though the writer went on to explain why that is in interviews) He seemed like a caricature of a character, and a very poor one at that. It felt slightly stereotypical to me.

I also hope we get the two female leads we were promised in the second season, would be disappointed if that does not end up happening.

For me the issue was that the show was about the character and the ending was about the audience.

Yeah, I think my whole post in general was full of bias. I've only seen Kitsch in John Carter and Savages, both of which are films I'd rather forget, and his talent didn't particularly catch my attention. Friday Night Lights has been on my watch list for a pretty long time, so whenever I decide to actually watch it, I'll be sure to check him out. And hey, I'm open to new things. Before True Detective, I thought of Matthew as the rom-com guy and never would have though he'd bring a character like Rust to life like he did.

I'm also biased towards Farrell, but in this case, in a positive way. I've only watched a few of his movies, but I feel like he really proved his acting capabilities with In Bruges.

In Bruges completely changed my view of him, but I worry that maybe it was just a perfect fit. I thought he was the best thing about that Horrible Bosses movie, but it wasn't so much acting as having fun with it all. He really got in the way of Alexander for me.

You should watch Killer Joe with Matthew McConaughey. That will probably get rid of any memory of Matthew the rom-com king ;)

In Bruges completely changed my view of him, but I worry that maybe it was just a perfect fit. I thought he was the best thing about that Horrible Bosses movie, but it wasn't so much acting as having fun with it all. He really got in the way of Alexander for me.

I agree. He was great in 'In Bruges', but that was more because the role was perfectly tailored to him. In most other movies I have seen in him, the best thing I can say is that he isn't very memorable.

Archived