EW Reveals 7 Season Plan

Westeros

I would not be surprised if Aegon was cut entirely.

The possibility grows exponentially if he has absolutely nothing to do with the confrontation with the Others and events in the North. Time will tell on that score.

I don't see Quentyn making the cut, nor should he, really. The sand snakes can be introduced and given their direction in one scene, if we see them at all. I guess that may depend on the Red Viper's reception with the audience. The real Dornish question mark is Arianne. We can skip the tower scene, certainly, but are we still going to have her do the thing with Myrcella? Is Darkstar going to make the cut? I'm leaning towards "no" on most of that, but it will be interesting to see how it's handled.

I don't see how people can complain about 7 seasons being too little when we don't even know what is going to happen in the last two books. Besides, TV shows usually suck when they get dragged out; it is better to force the writers to keep the plot moving.

Feast and Dance should have been one book to begin with, I hope the show does a better job editing than GRRM did. There is so much fat that can be cut out.

Darkstar is an enigma at this point; there is no telling how important he is. The fact is that Martin is sending one of his point-of-characters to keep tabs on his story though, so he is more important than what was common wisdom going into A Dance with Dragons.

Speaking general, the most likely result in regards to the many characters that figure prominently in Dorne and the Iron Islands is amalgamation.

I would hope they will cut and / or introduce certain elements and characters because D&D know from George that a particular arc isn't or is going to affect the resolution of the last book. They could weed out people who don't affect the series' outcome - hoping this means we get less Ros-types being added to the cast, taking up or away time from core characters. Then again, this is HBO....

They are not going to cut out entire stoylines, they will trim them. Plus aegon will probably end up on the iron throne in wow so he has to be part of the story.

7 seasons of GoT indicates otherwise. The audience knows about the Greyjoys through Theon, Yara, and Balon. The audience is about to know the Martells through Oberyn. These families are all ready in the story. Aegon comes out of nowhere, even in the books, he's a highly controversial character and it wouldn't be that hard to cut him out entirely. His storyline would be pretty expensive involving battles in the stormlands. The audience is into Dany taking Westeros, another Targaryen stealing the throne from under her is going to seriously frustate viewers. Since there will only be 7 seasons it's obvious that the show is going to focus on previously established characters and minimize new subplots and characters. It's basically going to keep the story tight where GRRM failed to do so.

If they cut Aegon, then there's no reason to introduce Dorne or any Martell in the plot, I think is safe to say he will make the cut

With 7 seasons I don't think any of the new subplots are guaranteed. What makes the cut depends entirely on the end game that GRRM outlined for the producers.

I don't see Quentyn making the cut, nor should he, really. The sand snakes can be introduced and given their direction in one scene, if we see them at all. I guess that may depend on the Red Viper's reception with the audience. The real Dornish question mark is Arianne. We can skip the tower scene, certainly, but are we still going to have her do the thing with Myrcella? Is Darkstar going to make the cut? I'm leaning towards "no" on most of that, but it will be interesting to see how it's handled.

I think Quentyn will be shown, but probably in only 2 or 3 scenes. He gets the mission in Dorne early in season 5, shows up in Meereen in episode 9 for 10 seconds to get rejected, gets fired-up in episode 10.

They'll probably show the Myrcella plotline for Arianne. Really, the only thing that Arianne was good for was for Doran to lay out the revenge plot. That's probably where she'll get the most screen time.

They'll cut Dorne to the essentials.

With 7 seasons I don't think any of the new subplots are guaranteed. What makes the cut depends entirely on the end game that GRRM outlined for the producers.

Then what is the point of Oberyn this season if not to introduce what happened to Elia and her children? Just a cool chracter to add some spice in King's Landing? If they plan to cut Dorne and Aegon, Oberyn should have been cut as well

7 seasons of GoT indicates otherwise. The audience knows about the Greyjoys through Theon, Yara, and Balon. The audience is about to know the Martells through Oberyn. These families are all ready in the story. Aegon comes out of nowhere, even in the books, he's a highly controversial character and it wouldn't be that hard to cut him out entirely. His storyline would be pretty expensive involving battles in the stormlands. The audience is into Dany taking Westeros, another Targaryen stealing the throne from under her is going to seriously frustate viewers. Since there will only be 7 seasons it's obvious that the show is going to focus on previously established characters and minimize new subplots and characters. It's basically going to keep the story tight where GRRM failed to do so.

They have to show Aegon because of Tyrion if nothing else. There are too many plotlines tied up with Aegon to not show him.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of Aegon's exploits are done off-screen though. You'll keep hearing about him to keep him ever present in the viewer mind, but probably won't see a whole lot of what he does.

It all depends if Aegon, actually takes the IT in WoW. Then it would be difficult to exclude him. But also remember Tyrion will have quite a bit of interaction between JonCon and fAegon. And hope that they dont. If they are only doing 7 seasons, then we could already get the Battle for Ice, and Battle of Slavers Bay already in s5ep09.

Feast and Dance only have enough interesting material for tv for one season if you ask me.

I agree with you there.

As for which storylines will have to be trimmed, I assume that the Ironmen will be cut except Victarion (perhaps merged with Euron?) since he has the Dragon horn - I suspect Ariane will appear but not all the sand snakes. Sarella (Alleras) - if the theory is true - might play an important part later on, so she could be introduced too. I think the whole thing with Darkstar will be cut (or maybe I hope? :P)

I guess it's highly likely that the show will finish before the last book is released. The magazine mentions, if I'm not mistaken, that the actors spent a week in Santa Fe with GRRM where he talked to them about where their characters are headed. The producers probably have an idea as to what happens in the end and I don't think they will jeopardise such an important show by ending ambiguously just because the book is not out.

Then what is the point of Oberyn this season if not to introduce what happened to Elia and her children? Just a cool chracter to add some spice in King's Landing? If they plan to cut Dorne and Aegon, Oberyn should have been cut as well

Oberyn's inclusion probably involves him being a fan favorite and a part of one of the most iconic scenes of the series. The Dorne plot can happen without Aegon, maybe they'll cut Quentyn and have Dorne side with Dany anyway. You guys are making far too many assumptions about what has to be included in seasons 5-7 because you "have a feeling" those characters will be important in the end game.

Aegon has to be included because he'll probably sit on the Iron Throne? Give me a break, none of us know that for certain. We're getting 7 season, prepare yourselves for massive cuts and changes.

Perhaps they will include Aegon but him sitting the Iron Throne isn't much of an indicator to be honest. If he remains on the Iron Throne, for the duration of the rest of the series, that is a different story. If he just holds the seat temporarily, that is hardly important in the grand scheme of things.

Archived