EW Reveals 7 Season Plan

Westeros

Even with GoT being reduced to 7 seasons, we will still get WoW hopefully mid-late 2015. And D&D probably will have it in their possession already, so s6 scenes may still come across as exactly as they are in the books. However we all know that we wont get DoS out before s7, as I recon GRRM, may do what someone has already posted and sit down and write with D&D scripts of how things are going down, and we will most likely get the same ending as he has already given them the broad strokes, but the finer details wont so we have to wait for the book for that.

As for omitting fAegon and thus JonCon would be heavily affecting Tyrion's character development, and we dont know how important he will be in WoW (which I think he will play a big part). As we dont need to see everything he does, but like I said in previous post hear it through conversation between other characters. The Greyjoy uncles have already been mentioned, just not which ones. They could easily show Euron's plans in the begining and later see Vic at Slavers Bay thus not taking up to much screen time. Doran, Arianne are very important, but doubt we will see Myrcella cope as their may not be enough time. Obviously D&D know more than us, and know how each characters importance to the story is, but I feel that Euron, Vic, Doran, Arianne, fAegon and JonCon will have a massive influence of the end game as Aegon and JonCon are tied to what Varys wants. But for people to make as if omitting fAegon as a fact is speculation at its highest

he threw a fit over that stuff? I must have missed it since iirc he didn't sound that mad in the commentary he does for the show.

Yeah I've never seen him angered by how the show's going. He seems constantly cheerful even when critiquing.

Anyway, having seasons of varying length would be a good thing if they're only doing 7. ASOS strikes me as the sort of the book that definitely needed more than 10 but didn't need 20, and trying to have a big character-defining endpoint only halfway through the material didn't work in all cases. TWOW could be the same.

^ That isn't the impression I've taken from nearly any of the panel discussions he's been a part of, and I've pretty much seen all of them.

In any case, I have to imagine that the seven season plan is, in fact, a pretty firm estimate (but still an estimate) as of right now. Because the fact of the matter is that they've likely already sat down with Martin to have an in-depth discussion of where this is all going, so that they could figure out how to outline the fifth season. Many - if not all - of the scripts for next (next) season have probably already been through a first draft, by this point. I think they'll have a better idea if it's going to go seven or eight seasons the next time they meet with George to have the discussion to that's been alluded to in the interview.

Ultimately, I think they're also waiting to see just how big this show can get, in order to determine whether or not re-negotiating the contracts of all of the actors who have been around since the first season (those who are still on the show, anyway) will be economically viable. Because this show has made a lot of careers, and given some previously established actors and actresses considerably more industry clout.

Personally, I think this coming season will pretty easily eclipse both the third season of the show, and The Sopranos, to become the most-watched series in HBO history. And considering that season four is also likely to be the best season yet, they'll have a lot of positive momentum going into a fifth season that could be difficult to adjust to initially (if we're to assume that the Dornish & Iron Isles story lines, as well as the plot thread involving Connington & fAegon are going to be introduced - which, tentatively, I am).

But going back to the contract negotiations... If we're to assume that anyone who hasn't died yet in the novels is going to make it to the final season (which may not be the case, obviously), then all of these characters/actors will be looking at a pretty substantial pay raise if the show goes to eight seasons* (to varying degrees, that is)...

Bran/Isaac

Sansa/Sophie

Arya/Maise

Jon/Kit

Tyrion/Peter

Cersei/Lena

Jaime/Nikolaj

Bronn/Jerome

Littlefinger/Aidan

Varys/Conleth

Theon/Alfie

Gendry/Joe

Catelyn (or Stoneheart)/Michelle

Jorah/Iain

Dany/Emilia

Loras/Finn

Rickon/Art

Myrcella/Aimee

Barristan/Ian

Osha/Natalia

Illyrio/Roger

* Now some of these aren't main cast, so the same rules wouldn't apply, but I wanted to compile a (fairly) comprehensive list of everyone who has been cast for the show that is still alive in the books. Especially since some characters have/are going to be re-purposed to fulfill other roles within the series.

That's a pretty significant number of people, and taking just a few of them into consideration even, could be a significant amount of money.

All that said, I still don't think eight seasons is off the table. If season four performs like I think it will (and it will), and if AFfC & ADwD can be pared down into one excellent season, then maybe the show will get there. Or maybe it's simply that, after having various discussions with Martin about the future of the story and the characters contained therein, they think seven seasons would be sufficient. Either way, I'd expect HBO and D&D to do what's best for the legacy of the series. As a network, HBO has gotten much, much better about ensuring that the majority of their shows get an appropriate ending, and it's in their best interest to have that mentality. Even more so with a show like Game of Thrones.

Just imagine how much money they'll make off of a complete series collection, with added bonus features and content, and then multiply that if the show manages to stick its landing. And that last part is important, because if seven seasons simply isn't going to be sufficient, I highly doubt they wouldn't go for one final season regardless of the expense.

Watch just about any panel discussions he's done with cast members of Game of Thrones. He's sounds like a complete fan-boy badgering them over usually pretty innocuous changes. It's so bizarre, since he was fully aware of the challenges of adapting novels, writing for television, and the fact he signed over complete control to HBO and Benioff and Weiss. If he wanted the definitive adaption, which can never happen, he should have locked up a show runner position on the series and wrote most of it himself.

Yeah, I was told about a really awkward moment on a panel where GRRM told Emilia Clarke he was annoyed she didn't end up wearing the Qartheen gown from the books...

And 7 seasons forces them to have resolution earlier, to not expand unnecessarily. Apparently they feel 7 seasons is enough, you don't hear any talk about them even pushing for an 8th season.

Not now the decision has been made, clearly, but Weiss and Benioff have spent over four years saying their plan was 8 seasons (or at least 80 episodes). In the first two seasons they were even saying 80-90 episodes. The fact is that they have been forced to settle for 7 seasons/70 episodes (though the latter is not yet set in stone), but they clearly wanted more and HBO said no. Even in the Vanity Fair article, which can't be more than a few weeks old, they're still saying 8 (with 7 only floated as a possibility).

So let's not be disingenuous here: they wanted 8 (or even 9) and are settling for 7. That's not a huge problem, this far out, as they can plan for it and be a bit more ruthless in what gets cut and what stays. It might even improve the show with more pace and verve in the final seasons than if they had gone for 8. And of course if they do 7 seasons but get 75 or 80 episodes out of it, it materially doesn't change anything.

I think they'll have a better idea if it's going to go seven or eight seasons the next time they meet with George to have the discussion to that's been alluded to in the interview.

Ultimately, I think they're also waiting to see just how big this show can get, in order to determine whether or not re-negotiating the contracts of all of the actors who have been around since the first season (those who are still on the show, anyway) will be economically viable. Because this show has made a lot of careers, and given some previously established actors and actresses considerably more industry clout.

I think much depends on the coming season as well. If the show truly reaches stratospheric levels of popularity and if, based on additional talks with George, it becomes clear that the show would have to be a bit rushed if it's to be concluded by S7, I'd like to think that HBO would be open to negotiations. Maybe not a full eighth season, but an extended or split one with, say, 3-6 additional episodes. If they can work it out productionwise, I don't see why not. Since they'll be staying within the contractual bounds of 7 seasons, there wouldn't be any additional costs that come with renegotiating contracts. And since it's become something of an industry standard lately, I'm hopeful a deal can be made.

I think much depends on the coming season as well. If the show truly reaches stratospheric levels of popularity and if, based on additional talks with George, it becomes clear that the show would have to be a bit rushed if it's to be concluded by S7, I'd like to think that HBO would be open to negotiations. Maybe not a full eighth season, but an extended or split one with, say, 3-6 additional episodes. If they can work it out productionwise, I don't see why not. Since they'll be staying within the contractual bounds of 7 seasons, there wouldn't be any additional costs that come with renegotiating contracts. And since it's become something of an industry standard lately, I'm hopeful a deal can be made.

the actors(from s1) have a 6 year contract, so they will def renegotiate for the 7 season. maybe an addictional season is less expensive then 2 or more, since their salaries will increase for all of them(esp. Peter, Lena, Emilia, Kit and Nik)

Here is a question.

George writes an episode a season (is that in his contract?).

So , methinks, he's got season 5 covered, I am thinking they have that blocked out, or they should have!

What about season 6?

He might really have the rough draft totally finished by the end of this year even if the novel does not hit the stores till 2015.

So that would be interesting.

What the hell does he do for an episode of season 7?

Well remember David Milch said he had a deal with HBO to finish Deadwood with two HBO FILMS.

That did not happen.

But reading in between the lines I blame Milch, I think he was only mildly interested. He a fearsome show runner and I think could have made it happen , if he wanted.

No reason , if season 7 was the last, and Dave and Dan knew they were free after the final cut, HBO could add even as many as 5 extra episodes and then 'that's all folks'. Might mean delaying season 7 airing by a couple of months.

I consider this unlikely but ... never know.

Seven seasons is worrying.

My hope was for an eight season show as I felt that had the right balance between giving the story justice and giving a necessity to cut the padding introduced in AFFC/ADWD.

Whether it is a disaster for the quality of the series depends how brave the writers are going to be in converting the material. If they decide to include as many storylines and characters as possible the result will be a disaster as we flit from scene to scene with a couple of minutes allocated to each.

Alternatively if they decide to let the show stand alone as its own creation the restriction of 7 seasons might even be a benefit. Focus on the key characters and cut or drastically reduce the screentime of the rest. Let the show breath and give far more time and character development to the characters we have come to know on the show (which is its own universe).

I want Game of Thrones to stand comparison with the best. Breaking Bad, The Sopranos etc. The great thing about those shows is that they never felt rushed, character development and plot progression nearly always felt natural and never forced.

I would cut out all the Iron Islands story, bar Asha and Theon, most of the Dornish plot line and all of FAegon. Also teleport Tyrion from Kings landing to Mereen and cut out his rather dull travelogue. If they do all that they can do the core story justice in 7 seasons

Whether it is a disaster for the quality of the series depends how brave the writers are going to be in converting the material. If they decide to include as many storylines and characters as possible the result will be a disaster as we flit from scene to scene with a couple of minutes allocated to each.

"Have you cut characters?

DB: We told George RR Martin when we started that if we included every character in the books they’d only get about 45 seconds on screen each, so you can’t include them all. Still, I don’t think there’s a bigger cast in television, and I don’t think there’s a story that asks you to bear in mind so many different stories.

DBW: A lot of it is comes down to where a character becomes really important to the story. Some come in earlier or later, but overall I think it’s true to the story of the books. Still, you need to keep one eye on the current series, because if that’s not right then we’ll never get to hour 75. We try to make sure the experience of watching is as satisfying as possible."

Fewer Martells? Aegon's role limited or eliminated? Fewer Greyjoys? All the fat trimmed from AFFC/ADWD? Brienne and Tyrion travelogues radically condensed? Irrelevant subplots and worldbuilding exposition trimmed or eliminated? More focus on the Dany, Starks and the Lannisters?

Brienne has the whole Nimble Dick sequence which can be dropped entirely. She can just happen across the inn where the BWB are holed up and get take to LS at the climax of the season. Unless Tyrion contracts greyscale, there's no need for the stone men sequence, or anything more than a quick pitstop in Volantis. Dany's story can be drastically condensed. One sand snake rather than three, Euron/Victarion may even be combined?

In all this... I have never figured out what the heck SPRING is supposed to be about?!

As hinted at by George (and I still wonder about it) the elephant in the room is The OTHERS (the Great Other and it's minions?).

Best I can puzzle out is a big 'Mordor'-like invasion of Westeros by the Others, bringing the Big Winter with it.

Trumps all the soap opera at KL, whatever the hell Jamie's story is , well just about everything going on in Westeros right now.

In Essos , somehow we move on with Arya's story and she leaves Braavos , my guess to Slaver's Bay and not Westeros yet.

Three interesting things going on, the NW - Wilding army + Stannis fighting a holding action against the Other's army.

In the East, a big honking battle to break the siege of Meereen , involving (somehow) Danny, Victarion's fleet and Selmy and the Unsullied army in Meereen.

Tryion in the mix , somehow.

That all gets settled ... whew!

Then does the big Ragnarök between the allied forces of Westeros and Essos against The Others happen in Winds?

The Others are defeated or driven back behind the Wall, if not , shaggy dog story!

That at the end of Winds or the start of Spring?

Spring seems an anticlimax, if no Ragnarök , who the wants to see more Machiavellian noodling around for the IT in Westeros, I am already tired of it!

Will Spring be about 100 pages long?

I agree with what I think Werthead is saying, it sounds like everyone is being diplomatic, but it's likely a business decision to go with 7 seasons, and now everyone is making it sound like that is a good thing. They are being professional.

I don't mind as much as I did, I'll watch the show since it will be impossible to avoid spoilers or resist, but keep in mind that something may play out differently or better in the books.

I think book sales may suffer if the ending is as sad as I think it will be. Will people want to go through that twice? It's one thing to read a very subtle tragedy, but for the first time you see the fate awaiting these characters on a show many book readers feel is not very subtle or nuanced, particularly when it comes to characterization?

I think the idea many have stated, for him to take some time off and not write all the final season scripts, that's a bit much, they are the ones setting up and telling the story, even for the one episode a season he normally writes, they tell him what to write, but revise the scripts, go through and add some essential touches, would help.

I don't really get the push for GRRM to write more scripts in the final season, or even all of them as some have been suggesting. If he's stuck with the plots/pacing/storylines that D&D require of him to accomplish what they want plotwise, then there's only so much he can do. 3x07, GRRM's episode from Season 3, was, in my opinion, one of the weakest of Season 3; we can blame that on GRRM for not delivering, or we can blame that on D&D for giving GRRM a bunch of dumb scenes to write, but either way, the fact that GRRM was writing it did not magically transform it into amazing television, or even something noticeably better than what D&D and Bryan Cogman have been writing.

...I'm all for Bryan Cogman writing more scripts, though. He's writing two in Season 4. Maybe that number will be upped in Season 5? One can only hope.

I agree with what I think Werthead is saying, it sounds like everyone is being diplomatic, but it's likely a business decision to go with 7 seasons, and now everyone is making it sound like that is a good thing. They are being professional.

I tend to agree. As another poster said, they'd been bandying about the 80 hour/8 seasons number in several interviews for a while now, and now they tell us that seven seasons was always the plan?

...If the ratings start flagging, and there's a good chance they will once we hit AFFC/ADWD territory, then I think the show will be lucky to make it to seven seasons. Eight is a pipe dream, I think.

...If the ratings start flagging, and there's a good chance they will once we hit AFFC/ADWD territory, then I think the show will be lucky to make it to seven seasons. Eight is a pipe dream, I think.

I don't think that's terribly likely. Perceived declines in quality quite often don't affect ratings at all (Dexter sucked for about four seasons but kept getting more viewers). And condensing AFFC and ADWD into more or less one season will cure 90% of the problems people had with them.

What chance is there that the ratings start flagging at this point, though? We're about to enter what will almost certainly be regarded as the best season of the show thus far. The hype after this season will be tremendous. That means that season six will get renewed for sure after the first episode or two of season five, regardless of any perceived decline in quality during the fifth season. Even if the fifth season is weaker than the previous four, do you honestly expect a substantial audience drop off? I sure don't, and for all we know season five will actually be well-perceived.

Regardless, this show is a lock at this point for seven seasons at minimum. The audience drop off would have to be ridiculous for the show to not get renewed for a seventh season early into the sixth.

Archived