EW Reveals 7 Season Plan

Westeros

It's a little sad that we will now never have a filmed version of ASoIaF that really does justice to the books. This is it.

Why won't we? There will likely be several more filmed versions to come, especially if the next two books are as good as the ones so far. There are multiple remakes of other books and series.

^Well I doubt its even going to be remade for TV, shows that get remade are usually updated from one era to another and very different. For a fantasy setting that kind of reinterpretation doesn't apply. I suppose they could make movies someday but those would be much less faithful to the books by neccesity. Maybe an animated series? (In which I do all of the voices).

^Well I doubt its even going to be remade for TV, shows that get remade are usually updated from one era to another and very different. For a fantasy setting that kind of reinterpretation doesn't apply. I suppose they could make movies someday but those would be much less faithful to the books by neccesity. Maybe an animated series? (In which I do all of the voices).

Excuse me, but I'd at least get to do the Red Viper. I have Spanish blood in me. It's only fitting.

In fairness to D&D, I think they started the show at a good time. In 2011 when the show started George was releasing ADwD. So even from the start there were only 2 books left to do and George had already written until the first battle of WoW as that was originally going to be put in ADwD. They MUST have thought the remaining books would have been released before their show got to the 8th season. They thought they were only going to make the show up until the Red Wedding anyway.

I think it's a couple of years too early for them to make a decision on how they should proceed with finishing the story anyway. I hear a lot of people saying they are almost caught up with Bran's storyline already. They really aren't. Bran will take all of season 4 to get to the cave and will spend all of season 5 training his abilities with Bloodraven and Leaf. The rest of the characters are probably about 3 seasons away from the end of ADwD. Bran's chapters are a bit lacking in action in ADwD anyway so I wouldn't mind if they added in a couple of extra side dangers to keep his story interesting while the others catch up.

Many of us on this site are fans of the books first and foremost. I've been registered here since 2005, I have been reading since 2000, and there are many others who have been readers for this long or longer. I love the show, but I love the books more. For me, this hasn't been a point of contention, as I am pretty comfortable at this point viewing them as separate things.

So while your point has merit, for many of us long-time readers, watching the show break new ground over the books is going to be a bittersweet moment.

Well, he did say the ending would be bittersweet.

Well, he did say the ending would be bittersweet.

Laughed out loud for real at this.

But will D&D be able to write amazing dialogue without the books as a crutch? Once the show eclipses the books that's when we'll know if D&D are really good writers.

It's not as if we have no idea what the dialogue is like when the writers are not taking words from the books. Not only have there been many scenes based on the books including bits of non-book dialogue (Tyrion and Tywin's conversation in 3x10 has both book and non-book dialogue), there have been entire scenes (Cersei/Robert in Season 1, for example) and even entire plots full of non-book dialogue. There are pretty significant chunks of Season 3 which have little book dialogue to speak of. The results? Not surprisingly, it seems like the further away the writers get from book plots, the more the dialogue suffers. When they're working within the framework of scenes based on book plots or slightly modified book plots, or just writing scenes with characters bouncing off each other within book canon (Cersei/Robert was a great example), the dialogue can be pretty good: the Davos/Shireen scenes, based on tweaking canon slightly (Davos learning to read from Shireen) were pretty much perfect, in my opinion. When they're creating something that deviates significantly from the books or from book canon, it tends to go off the rails and the dialogue doesn't tend to "sound" right. Once you take away that protective framework of book plots and really start going off the book reservation seems to be when the dialogue problems really start.

...So if you want to be optimistic, then I guess you could say that the fact that the writers now have a GRRM-approved plot blueprint for every character to take them through the end of the series means that the dialogue will be better, as it will flow from their deeper understanding of the characters' arcs and endgames. If you want to be pessimistic, you could focus on the fact that blueprint or not, the lack of available GRRM dialogue is going to result in a nosedive in dialogue quality overall. It depends on how you look at it, I guess.

Speaking of AFFC/ADWD plots bleeding into Season 4, though, I was wondering one thing:

Brienne supposedly gets tasked with her quest in 4x04, "Oathkeeper." There were pictures taken of filming with Pod and Brienne presumably on the road. Gwendoline Christie also referenced Brienne biting someone's ear off, which could possibly allude to the fight with Biter in AFFC, quite a ways into her AFFC storyline. However, I assume Tyrion's trial doesn't wrap up until later in the season. Pod hit the road to find Tyrion through finding Sansa, but if he meets up with Brienne in Season 4, why would he have left King's Landing before Tyrion's trial was concluded and while Tyrion was very much accounted for? Maybe Tyrion escapes in 4x08 and Brienne meets up with Pod in 4x10, but the timing seems off, since Brienne's search doesn't really get going in earnest until she meets up with Pod.

Feast and Dance only have enough interesting material for tv for one season if you ask me.

This is not true.

If you read dance carefully you will see how much of it is re telling of events that had happened before the chapter started.

Quentyn especially. Tyrion as well. Feast is more in the moment or closer to it(cersei's chapters come to mind) but dance tends to look back a lot more and those parts need to be told in order to keep the chronology intact.

I think that's why GRRM thinks he's got some time to play with but I think with this announcement of a max of 8 seasons.

Well, I think it's probably a forgone conclusion the tv show will finish before the books.

No, I think it's very possible.

Considering Game of Thrones is likely to surpass The Sopranos as the most successful HBO series of all-time this coming season, I would be very, very surprised if they aren't still making money off of the show in twenty years' time (and beyond). If anyone re-makes this show, it would be HBO. And that simply wouldn't make any sense. Anyone expecting another adaptation within the next fifty years, even, is kidding themselves. Not happening.

I'd love to hear someone make a legitimate argument for this idea that isn't based in wishful thinking.

Brienne supposedly gets tasked with her quest in 4x04, "Oathkeeper." There were pictures taken of filming with Pod and Brienne presumably on the road. Gwendoline Christie also referenced Brienne biting someone's ear off, which could possibly allude to the fight with Biter in AFFC, quite a ways into her AFFC storyline. However, I assume Tyrion's trial doesn't wrap up until later in the season. Pod hit the road to find Tyrion through finding Sansa, but if he meets up with Brienne in Season 4, why would he have left King's Landing before Tyrion's trial was concluded and while Tyrion was very much accounted for? Maybe Tyrion escapes in 4x08 and Brienne meets up with Pod in 4x10, but the timing seems off, since Brienne's search doesn't really get going in earnest until she meets up with Pod.

Pod could be scared that if Tyrion is convicted, he will to. I thus feels people want him dead, or that he needs to find Sansa to help prove Tyrion's innocence and thus goes with Brienne to try find Sansa.

Do you think, they may make a movie of GoT?like 3 hrs for final , cause I remember Kit being asked about whether I movie would be made, and he said possibly, but obviously this could not be true unless it came directly from D&D, as they have the final say along with HBO whether a movie would be made. It would be pretty awesome having a 3hr movie after the 7th season of the ultimate end game (doubt it will happen). But would prefer an 8th season. But its not all set in stone, and a number of things can happen in 2 years so you never know. As mentioned in above post GoT looks like to be the most successful show on HBO, so why couldnt another season be negotiable, if True Bloods can get 7 seasons then you can bet GoT can get 8.

Archived