EW Reveals 7 Season Plan

Westeros

Pod could be scared that if Tyrion is convicted, he will to. I thus feels people want him dead, or that he needs to find Sansa to help prove Tyrion's innocence and thus goes with Brienne to try find Sansa.

Isn't the thing about Pod his loyalty and his courage? I can't see him ditching out on Tyrion out of self-preservation. I could see him trying to track down Sansa to assist Tyrion in his defence, although that would sort of mean he and Brienne would be at cross-purposes, since Brienne's instructions were to do pretty much the opposite of drag Sansa back to King's Landing, which would presumably be Pod's aim in trying to find Sansa before Tyrion is convicted and disappears.

Frontloading part of or even most of Brienne's AFFC arc in Season 4 makes me wonder what the heck they'll have her doing in Season 5.

Maybe an animated series? (In which I do all of the voices).

I kind of wish sophisticated animated series aimed at an older audience were more of a thing in North America, much like certain anime are in Japan. As it is, I can't see it happening anytime soon.

Pod could be scared that if Tyrion is convicted, he will to. I thus feels people want him dead, or that he needs to find Sansa to help prove Tyrion's innocence and thus goes with Brienne to try find Sansa.

Do you think, they may make a movie of GoT?like 3 hrs for final , cause I remember Kit being asked about whether I movie would be made, and he said possibly, but obviously this could not be true unless it came directly from D&D, as they have the final say along with HBO whether a movie would be made. It would be pretty awesome having a 3hr movie after the 7th season of the ultimate end game (doubt it will happen). But would prefer an 8th season. But its not all set in stone, and a number of things can happen in 2 years so you never know. As mentioned in above post GoT looks like to be the most successful show on HBO, so why couldnt another season be negotiable, if True Bloods can get 7 seasons then you can bet GoT can get 8.

Isn't it complicated tho?

We don't know what options George sold. Remember he rejected at least one film offer, and he has said that the film concepts he heard did not fit his expectations of the elaboration he wanted. At the time he may not even had ADWD finished.

Anyway he could very well have retained the movie option under that the restriction that could not be exercised while HBO was in production. I don't know what that contract might have said about HBO doing a film or films out of the later novels.

Also we don't know if he has a revert clause for options when HBO is finished.

I think even if GRRM had the film rights there is no one who could meet his specifications.

Isn't it complicated tho?

We don't know what options George sold. Remember he rejected at least one film offer, and he has said that the film concepts he heard did not fit his expectations of the elaboration he wanted. At the time he may not even had ADWD finished.

Anyway he could very well have retained the movie option under that the restriction that could not be exercised while HBO was in production. I don't know what that contract might have said about HBO doing a film or films out of the later novels.

Also we don't know if he has a revert clause for options when HBO is finished.

I think even if GRRM had the film rights there is no one who could meet his specifications.

I don't think a movie would suit ASoIaF anyway, I don't know, it just doesn't feel right somehow; a TV show adaptation is the most fitting medium they could find imo

My thoughts, very briefly:

I'm pretty sure that all characters will be reaching the end of their ADWD timeline by the end of S5. With one battle , either snow or fire, ending season 5 and the other beginning season 6. We might even see S5 cover some ADWD cliffhangers like Jaime and Brienne, perhaps even Theon.

If Aegon is mentioned in some detail this season, with the story of his lineage and death covered, then I would expect to see him cast next season.

Starting S6 it's a swift gallop towards the end with S6 covering material from both book 6 and 7. in face, I wouldn't be surprised to see some book 6 in S5. For show lovers all this is a good thing, much better than a stretched out tedious story over 8 or 9 seasons. For book readers spoilers galore.

Isn't the thing about Pod his loyalty and his courage? I can't see him ditching out on Tyrion out of self-preservation. I could see him trying to track down Sansa to assist Tyrion in his defence, although that would sort of mean he and Brienne would be at cross-purposes, since Brienne's instructions were to do pretty much the opposite of drag Sansa back to King's Landing, which would presumably be Pod's aim in trying to find Sansa before Tyrion is convicted and disappears.

Frontloading part of or even most of Brienne's AFFC arc in Season 4 makes me wonder what the heck they'll have her doing in Season 5.

I'm predicting that they'll have Jaime and Tyrion talk before Jaime sends Brienne off, and Tyrion will offer to have Pod go on the quest as well in case Cersei tries to accuse Pod along with him. I'm honestly surprised they didn't bring Gendry into the mix.

As for Brienne in S5, I stand by my belief that she will be doing nothing until she turns up in Jaime's arc in the last couple of episodes. They'd be fools not to take the opportunity to trim so story arcs down for S5.

Considering Game of Thrones is likely to surpass The Sopranos as the most successful HBO series of all-time this coming season, I would be very, very surprised if they aren't still making money off of the show in twenty years' time (and beyond). If anyone re-makes this show, it would be HBO. And that simply wouldn't make any sense. Anyone expecting another adaptation within the next fifty years, even, is kidding themselves. Not happening.

I'd love to hear someone make a legitimate argument for this idea that isn't based in wishful thinking.

It is a rare sight indeed, someone who actually use rational thinking on these forums

I don't think that's terribly likely. Perceived declines in quality quite often don't affect ratings at all (Dexter sucked for about four seasons but kept getting more viewers). And condensing AFFC and ADWD into more or less one season will cure 90% of the problems people had with them.

Agreed

There are some strong storylines in AFFC/ADWD. Cersei, Arya, Jon primarily, but other characters can also easily have a good quality season like Sansa, Theon, Brienne (whilst cutting out most of the start of her storyline) and Jaimie. Done well S5 could be a better season than S2 or S3.

HBO is going to keep a vice-like grip on the rights. Comic book fans have been wishing for years that Sony would relinquish the Spider-Man rights to Marvel for a proper adaptation. Same with Fox and the Fantastic Four/X-Men movies, but for those studios that's just giving money away.

I'm actually kind of (foolishly?) optimistic that we'll get WoW sooner than we think, but it does appear that the books will at least finish the story. Not only that, we'll be getting spoilers as soon as season 4 with foreshadowing, and any potential mention/inclusion of supporting characters.

I don't think a movie would suit ASoIaF anyway, I don't know, it just doesn't feel right somehow; a TV show adaptation is the most fitting medium they could find imo

Heck.

If Peter Jackson can make 3 three hours films out of the Hobbit (Peter didn't seem the Geroge Lucas type!).

Jackson could make 100 4 hour movies out of ASOIAF! :)

HBO is going to keep a vice-like grip on the rights. Comic book fans have been wishing for years that Sony would relinquish the Spider-Man rights to Marvel for a proper adaptation. Same with Fox and the Fantastic Four/X-Men movies, but for those studios that's just giving money away.

I'm actually kind of (foolishly?) optimistic that we'll get WoW sooner than we think, but it does appear that the books will at least finish the story. Not only that, we'll be getting spoilers as soon as season 4 with foreshadowing, and any potential mention/inclusion of supporting characters.

Uh, just when were the graphic novel rights sold?

Before the HBO deal?

Has George ever said "Till Hell freezes over" before I would take on a co-writer.

(He knows a number of ace good writers, some of whom have had influence on Song.)

Before the HBO deal?

Has George ever said "Till Hell freezes over" before I would take on a co-writer.

(He knows a number of ace good writers, some of whom have had influence on Song.)

What are you getting at, that GRRM will have both novels published before 2017? Even if that's the case, starting this season we're going to start figuring out the end game by which characters/plots have been deemed important enough to be included in the 7 season structure.

What are you getting at, that GRRM will have both novels published before 2017? Even if that's the case, starting this season we're going to start figuring out the end game by which characters/plots have been deemed important enough to be included in the 7 season structure.

Well, it's hard to tell George's mind these days...

I for one think he can have Winter out next year ... and D&D&B know where its going , say GRRM has fireworks all over the place for novel 6? That covered in seasons 5 and 6? Like SOS.

But then Spring... man GRRM might be spent...taking on a co-author could bring it in under dead line, George has done co-authoring before.

One has the impression he does not cotton to that idea on this project.

the actors(from s1) have a 6 year contract, so they will def renegotiate for the 7 season. maybe an addictional season is less expensive then 2 or more, since their salaries will increase for all of them(esp. Peter, Lena, Emilia, Kit and Nik)

Sort of. The law allows for 6 seasons + a 1-season renewal option at a higher percentage cost, which is predictable, so they should be okay for 7 seasons. It's only after 7 that you have to renegotiate. The renewal option thing isn't always included, which is why it caused problems on The Sopranos and they had to cheat to get to 7 seasons (by filming a double-length final season and pretending it was the same season). I'd be surprised if GoT wasn't under the +1 season renewal clause.

GRRM first met Benioff and Weiss in January or February 2006; they pitched the show to HBO and Showtime in March 2006. The deal was announced in early 2007, but it was actually done in the second half of 2006. So less than a year after AFFC came out, and when ADWD was still forthcoming.

The Hedge Knight came out as a graphic novel in 2002, IIRC, so just before then.

Ok what worries me is if the show ends before Dream of Spring is released, which seems almost inevitable, how exactly will it end? D&D know generally where our characters are going, so will we know the ending of the books before DOS is released? Will the show purposely end differently from the books? Will Martin change the ending in the books because of the way the show ends? Either way it kind of spoils things for us readers. Not good. Not good at all.

I was thinking more along the lines of the show ends before we get winds

Considering Game of Thrones is likely to surpass The Sopranos as the most successful HBO series of all-time this coming season, I would be very, very surprised if they aren't still making money off of the show in twenty years' time (and beyond). If anyone re-makes this show, it would be HBO. And that simply wouldn't make any sense. Anyone expecting another adaptation within the next fifty years, even, is kidding themselves. Not happening.

I'd love to hear someone make a legitimate argument for this idea that isn't based in wishful thinking.

It wouldn't be inconceivable that HBO could sell the 'animation' rights to another company (i.e. Netflix, an animation studio, etc...) a few years down the road and we get another adaption in that format. It doesn't dilute the revenue from their existing product and potentially provides another long term revenue stream if they negotiate a % of the profits from that series and its merchandising - which they would.

@Werthead i didn't know about the +1, i always knew the standard one is 7 years. There was a rumor some time ago about Peter leaving after S6, but he said his contract expires after 6 seasons. and recently Sophie Turner said her contract is for 6 season as well, so i thought GoT would end on S6.

People are also forgetting that actor salaries are rarely fixed throughout the life span of the original contract. They typically include annual year over year increases - especially for veteran 'known' actors (aka Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, etc...). So the casting budget typically increases significantly over the life span of the series.

I have no idea what Peter Dinklage earns for GOT, but lets say he negotiated a 9 episode minimum appearance per season deal at $40,000 per episode with a 15% raise per year (an average rate for a reasonably well established, but not exactly 'star' actor), by season 6, his per episode cost is over $80,000.

Things can get pricey quick.

And just imagine if a group of regulars do what the Sopranos' cast did at one point during its run. A number of cast members basically held out and demanded a renegotiation. Which ended up working and HBO was forced to increase salaries far beyond the original negotiated contracts.

I have no idea what Peter Dinklage earns for GOT, but lets say he negotiated a 9 episode minimum appearance per season deal at $40,000 per episode with a 15% raise per year (an average rate for a reasonably well established, but not exactly 'star' actor), by season 6, his per episode cost is over $80,000.

Things can get pricey quick.

Actually, Peter Dinklage earns 150,000 per episode, the same as Lena Headey. http://winteriscoming.net/2013/08/peter-dinklage-one-of-tvs-top-earners/

That's, what, $3mil just between the two of them.

Archived