EW Reveals 7 Season Plan

Westeros

As I noted elsewhere, if he is at least matching his pace for writing A Dance with Dragons from 2008 onward (and all indications are that he is), then he was probably at 800 to 900 manuscript pages to start the year. If he is actually having an easier time of it, then he might very well be past 1000 pages by now.

That would be awesome.

That would be awesome.

It would keep us from being mostly unspoiled regarding the contents of The Winds of Winter, but it does nothing when it comes to A Dream of Spring. That book is almost certainly going to be spoiled starting in 2017 on HBO.

That ship sailed when it became clear Martin was not going to deliver a book this year. And even then, it would have been very difficult for Martin to keep pace. I am not sure that even matching the pace of writing A Storm of Swords would have been enough. At the very least, it would have required exclusive focus on writing the books and learning to write on a laptop, which Martin has not shown himself prepared to do.

You don't need to be a dick about things. I've been fairly polite here.

Polite, but delusional, since you've joined you've made a lot of posts about how the show runners won't want to screw over Martin by spoiling the books, when 95% of the posters here have been following the books and show production very closely and have come to the opposite conclusion. You said the show won't spoil the books, I said the show sort of all ready has with the unpublished Mercy chapter. You said that it might as well have been published then said GRRM and D&D are working together to coordinate a non-spoiler outcome. You came across a bit snarky with the "Imagine that!" after which I brought up GRRM and D&D's contradictory comments about the length of the show, implying that they're not as coordinated as you imply. You ignored that and again focused on the "published" thing, so I'm not sure you want to really discuss the topic, but instead are trying to convince yourself that the show won't spoil the books, although everything we know indicates otherwise.

It would keep us from being mostly unspoiled regarding the contents of The Winds of Winter, but it does nothing when it comes to A Dream of Spring. That book is almost certainly going to be spoiled starting in 2017 on HBO.

That ship sailed when it became clear Martin was not going to deliver a book this year. And even then, it would have been very difficult for Martin to keep pace. I am not sure that even matching the pace of writing A Storm of Swords would have been enough. At the very least, it would have required exclusive focus on writing the books and learning to write on a laptop, which Martin has not shown himself prepared to do.

I was thinking he does not like WORD (I use WORD, jes!, Microsoft totally 'cluck a duck-ed' us on that one spent a week reconfiguring all there harebrained mods in new Word!)... anyway did he say he used Word Star or something like that. Jez his publisher or maybe even HBO ought have a custom made laptop that works just like his old DOS machine! So many wiz machine heads out there , seems it could be done.

However I don't think every writer actually writes when they travel. One rule the great SF writer Frederik Pohl followed was to write such and such pages or so and so many hours each day no matter when he was, he took his light weight portable manual with everywhere, I don't know if he got a notebook later or not. But that's up to the writer. I take my notebook with me when I travel, but I don't get as much done, even when I have the time, as I do at home on both my desktops and my notebooks.

However in GRRM's case he might have to hire an armed guard to keep anyone from snooping his laptop!

It may not be wise for him to write as he travels!

^ GRRM has tried writing while traveling before and he said he didn't have an easy time with it. He seems to like completely immersing himself in his world when writing. It's hard to do that when traveling. Some might be able to do that. Apparently he cannot.

Polite, but delusional, since you've joined you've made a lot of posts about how the show runners won't want to screw over Martin by spoiling the books, when 95% of the posters here have been following the books and show production very closely and have come to the opposite conclusion. You said the show won't spoil the books, I said the show sort of all ready has with the unpublished Mercy chapter. You said that it might as well have been published then said GRRM and D&D are working together to coordinate a non-spoiler outcome. You came across a bit snarky with the "Imagine that!" after which I brought up GRRM and D&D's contradictory comments about the length of the show, implying that they're not as coordinated as you imply. You ignored that and again focused on the "published" thing, so I'm not sure you want to really discuss the topic, but instead are trying to convince yourself that the show won't spoil the books, although everything we know indicates otherwise.

Yes, I'm delusional because I disagree with a handful of people on a message board. And that justifies being rude to me? That's a great way to promote discussion...

I've actually said we don't know what will be done. I've given my opinion on the situation. That's all it is. An opinion. I've looked at what we know and what other adaptations have done with material. And I've looked at how GoT has adapted material. Sometimes it's faithful. Sometimes it's nowhere near the books.

I've looked at interviews with the showrunners and GRRM, none of which actually say what they're going to do. They have given possible solutions to the issues they're facing but that is all. That's how I've formed my opinion. If it turns out I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. So be it. But none of us know for certain what will be done when the show catches up. We don't know what ADOS will contain. We don't know what D&D have planned. All we can do is speculate.

I've been ridiculed by some for not making massive leaps in logic based on very little information (or no information at all) or because I haven't gone along with a handful of posters that think a certain way.

I've tried to approach this rationally and calmly and without mocking others. I've mostly just been met with hostility and "no you're wrong because you're wrong" type responses. That isn't constructive and it sure as hell doesn't make me think very highly of the ASOIAF fandom.

Like I said, I found the "Imagine that!" statement to be condescending, but I'm not going to escalate things further, however I agree with you that I've seen some disturbing attitudes on these forums. I think these are pretty intelligent books, so it's a shame to see a community that can act so arrogantly. My main issue with your argument is that D&D don't want to "screw over" GRRM by spoiling the books with the show. I don't think this is an issue for anybody, because GRRM willingly sold the rights to ASOIAF(the entire series) to HBO for adaptation. At the end of the day this is a business transaction between HBO and GRRM that made both parties a lot of money. D&D should not be in a position to come up with lesser material because GRRM doesn't want the show to spoil his story, GRRM sold the rights to the story and HBO has every right to use it. I'm sure we can all agree that D&D can't come up with something as good as GRRM has, so it's in their best interest to follow his outline closely.

Archived