EW Reveals 7 Season Plan

Westeros

Remember when they introduced Dontos in season 2? That was even more of a setup for his book storyline. But after that, they just forgot that he existed.

Dontos has been confirmed to return in S4.

Remember when they introduced Dontos in season 2? That was even more of a setup for his book storyline. But after that, they just forgot that he existed.

Dontos has been confirmed to return in S4.

Exactly! Also remember Ser Selmy, disappeared from the show after leaving the Red Keep like a boss in Season 1...only to make a very dramatic re-appearance in Season 3, where he became a key feature to Dany's storyline.

Exactly! Also remember Ser Selmy, disappeared from the show after leaving the Red Keep like a boss in Season 1...only to make a very dramatic re-appearance in Season 3, where he became a key feature to Dany's storyline.

That was identical to the books.

We may or may not see the Greyjoys, but the fact that the show mentioned Theon having uncles in season 1 means nothing beyond that they exist. The show has kept its options open in numerous instances in the past (as with Shireen, for instance).

Similar in every relevant detail. We were discussing characters disappearing and reappearing. Barristan disappeared and reappeared in the show, having been absent in a manner identical to how he is absent from the books, i.e., by not being in them.

I think in the final few seasons you need to know from GRRM what the main plot is going to be about and drive towards that. Is the main direction more about the battle with the others? Is it to do with Dragons? Both? Is the main point who sits the throne, and does that even matter if an invasion of others are coming?

Way too many arcs and sub-plots happening that sometimes I feel it would even be difficult for the books to wrap them all up entirely in 2 more novels.

It kind of sucks that the shows will spil the ending for the books. But then, maybe Martin wont write the books in the same direction and completely alter the ending and such. So I wonder how much the shows are influenced by the books or if the audience reaction to the shows will determine the way Martin ultimately decides to take things with the books down the road.

It kind of sucks that the shows will spil the ending for the books. But then, maybe Martin wont write the books in the same direction and completely alter the ending and such.

Martin's been writing this series since 1991, with a particular ending in mind. I could much more readily see him giving up on the series entirely rather than alter what he's been working toward for 25 years so substantially as to be unrecognizable.

Barristan disappeared for a book and then reappeared in the narrative. They dropped his disguise, but that's irrelevant for what was being discussed.

Barriston disappeared in aGoT, but we have many characters referencing him thereafter while in the show none IIRC. So he may physically drop out of the narrative, but he does not completely.

Also he shows up at Qarth coming from Illyrio rather than in the show at Astapor coming from :dunno:.

As for the Greyjoy nuncles. Yes, they mentioned them in season 1, but that was one line and before they knew how important or unimportant they'd be for the end-game. IIRC, GRRM did not share broad strokes of the future plot with D&D before they wrote season 1.

They obviously are going to have to drastically cut or completely remove some plot lines, but if they know the broad strokes of the future or if they decide to go their own way with the story, then I am confident they'll be able to make good decisions with cuts. We'll likely start to know a hell of a lot more about what they plan to do once there are casting announcements for season 5, and speculation until then is just that - speculation - so let's not get too serious or critical or anything.

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/george-r-r-martin-interview

GRRM still seems to be under the impression that, even with the 7-season limit all but confirmed, they will spend up to 2 or 3 seasons adapting books 4 and 5.

He must be keeping some big announcements from us then. There's no other way he could seriously think this when they just announced 7 seasons as the limit the other day.

Martin just doesn't seem naïve enough for me to believe he really thinks the show will take longer to cover Feast and Dance. They did two seasons for one book...and it won't happen again. From here on out it's one season per book or less. Could Martin just be playing up that he is hopeful D+D will drag out the show to more seasons? I just have a hard time believing that he was serious when he said that in that interview. It just doesn't make sense to me.

On the other hand, I can't imagine what there is to gain from Martin saying it. It's not buying him more time. Fans are still waiting. The clock is still ticking. If he was hiding that he was closer to being done with TWOW and just bullshitting people to buy time until he could make a surprise announcement I suppose I could see it. That would be a hoot, playing up the old guy who's in over his head, only to turn around and say, "gotcha bitch! It's done!". I have a hard time seeing him pulling that kind of gag off sadly.

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/george-r-r-martin-interview

GRRM still seems to be under the impression that, even with the 7-season limit all but confirmed, they will spend up to 2 or 3 seasons adapting books 4 and 5.

He also continues to sound hopeful that they'll put the show on hiatus and do prequels.

Someone in contact with GRRM please send him the following:

“It feels like this is the midpoint for us,” Benioff says. “If we’re going to go seven seasons, which is the plan, season 4 is right down the middle, the pivot point.”

From a year ago:

we're not going to take a two-year hiatus (to wait for a book). The little kids are growing older, the show's got momentum now, and the show must go on.

"Season 3 is probably the biggest in terms of the number of new characters, number of new stories overall," Benioff explained. "The universe has expanded as much as it's going to, and now it's going to contract... As pieces start to get removed from the chessboard, we'll have fewer on there. We're nearly to the midpoint (of the story), and it'll be interesting to see what's going forward with the endgame."

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/06/09/game-of-thrones-future/

“I don’t think we want to answer specifically what we’re keeping and dropping, but we do take your point,” Benioff said when asked about Book 4's content. “The series has already reached a point where there are so many characters, particularly in season three we’re introducing so many new ones, we run the risk of bursting at the seams as we try to cram every single subplot and all the various characters and it becomes impossible on a budgetary level and it becomes impossible on an episode-basis to jump around every few minutes to 30 different characters and locations. We don’t want to do that, and recognize that as a real risk and we will take steps not to fall into that trap.”

Quipped Benioff’s fellow showrunner Dan Weiss: “Time for negative population growth.”

Jaime talked about him at length in season 2.

Oh, I forgot about that, but IIRC it wasn't really "at length." And that was unlike how Barristan was being talked about in the books (talking about his dismissal or wondering where he was).

So I fail to see how that it was "similar in every relevant detail." Barristan came out of nowhere in the show. But in the books there was a fair amount of emphasis on him.

We both know in our heart of hearts none of that is going to happen.

If he was really out of his alleged Meereen knot funk it wouldn't have taken 6 years between Feast and Dance. And, if he was really back on track, then we would have the next book this year or at worst, early, very early in 2015, like Spring 2015.

But, his statements and his publisher's statements don't really lend much credibility to this hope. And even IF he does get Winds out by 2015, after decades now of super slow writing, there is no reason to think he could get out book 7 in 2 years.

My opinion is that his editor served him VERY poorly on the last two books, on a lot of levels, least of which is timing.

I can recall at least one interview with GRRM where he said that his editor often takes a red pen to his books, chopping out or altering things. And if George doesn't like the changes - which is apparently pretty often! - then he simply ignores the editor's suggestions and puts them all back in again. So I'm not sure that the editor is doing a poor job: seems more that George doesn't want to be told what to do or accept suggestions (many of which might have been perfectly sensible and cut out a lot of padding).

I can recall at least one interview with GRRM where he said that his editor often takes a red pen to his books, chopping out or altering things. And if George doesn't like the changes - which is apparently pretty often! - then he simply ignores the editor's suggestions and puts them all back in again. So I'm not sure that the editor is doing a poor job: seems more that George doesn't want to be told what to do or accept suggestions (many of which might have been perfectly sensible and cut out a lot of padding).

Very possibly. I think the problem may be that once Martin got really famous and successful, it became much harder for his publisher/editor to maintain any sort of discipline over him, and demand better pacing and a willingness to make narrative choices and so forth. I think George's ego might be getting in the way a bit here...

Many of us on this site are fans of the books first and foremost. I've been registered here since 2005, I have been reading since 2000, and there are many others who have been readers for this long or longer. I love the show, but I love the books more. For me, this hasn't been a point of contention, as I am pretty comfortable at this point viewing them as separate things.

So while your point has merit, for many of us long-time readers, watching the show break new ground over the books is going to be a bittersweet moment.

GRRM did promise a bittersweet ending, maybe he is just a mastermind of manipulation and had this all planned...

edit: ninja'd 6 pages ago

Archived