EW Reveals 7 Season Plan

Westeros

Doesn't matter if TWOW gets released this year or not, the part of the story covered by book 7 will never be finished by 2016 so they're still going to change at least the last part of the story around to fit the end that Martin told them about.

I don't for a moment think the television series will get an an actual eighth season (as opposed to an extended seventh), but, for argument's sake, Lena Headey and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau are unlikely to be a concern at that point. I imagine the characters they play will have long since disappeared from the narrative.

Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage and Kit Harington are another matter entirely. It might take something like $15 to $20 million to lock the three of them down for an extra season.

And GRRM can only blame himself.

And all the Sept said, "Amen, Amen and Amen."

Please Mods, allow me to say this:

Dave and Dan will finish the series before GRRM finishes the books.

So non book readers will know how the story ends, not on the author's intent but in their intent. In a sense it makes me angry because TV show watchers have not invested themselves like us book readers have in this series.

But life isn't fair. Don't blame Dave and Dan, Don't blame HBO, blame GRRM for taking about a decade too long to finish this series.

Dave and Dan may not get there the best, but they will get there first and they will win the #GameOfThrones

Vanity Fair has published their full interview with GRRM. He's got a detailed plan for how the show can wait for him to catch up. Of course, it conflicts with what Benioff and Weiss have been saying in the press about 7 seasons and passing him by.

http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/george-r-r-martin-interview?mbid=social_fbshare

I'm not sure where anyone is getting six seasons from... I think that seven seasons is the floor, and that eight seasons (or an extended seventh) is the absolute ceiling.

In any case, I liked this quote from Martin...

Ultimately, it’ll be different. You have to recognize that there are going to be some differences. I’m very pleased with how faithful the show is to the books, but it’s never gonna be exactly the same. You can’t include all the characters. You’re not going to include their real lines of dialogue or subplot, and hopefully each will stand on its own. We have Gone With the Wind the movie and we have Gone With the Wind the book. They’re similar but they’re not the same. There are three version of The Maltese Falcon, none of which are exactly the same as the novel The Maltese Falcon. Each one stands on its own and has its own value and is great in its own way. Rings is a great example. There are Tolkien purists who hate Peter Jackson’s versions, but I think they’re a small minority. Most people who love Tolkien love what Jackson did, even though he may have omitted Tom Bombadil. He captured the spirit of the books.

A sentiment some people don't seem to be able to share.

Good interview, overall, but I think Martin is living in a fantasy world if he thinks (or even thought) that AFfC & ADwD could be adapted in two full (let alone three) seasons without destroying the momentum the show has worked so hard to build up. I almost feel bad for him, actually.

the comprise here would be 8 seasons. split wow over seasons 6 and 7. but that would bring in the pesky contract negotiation issue so the way around that is to call it season 7 part 1 and season 7 part 2. that would hopefully give martin time to finish. season 7 part 1 would be second half of wow airing in the spring of 2017. part 2 which would be dos would air in the spring of 2018.

The season that’s about to debut covers the second half of the third book. The third book [A Storm of Swords] was so long that it had to be split into two. But there are two more books beyond that, A Feast for Crowsand A Dance with Dragons. A Dance with Dragons is itself a book that’s as big as A Storm of Swords. So there’s potentially three more seasons there, between Feast and Dance, if they split into two the way they did [with Storms]. Now, Feastand Dance take place simultaneously. So you can’t do Feast and then Dance the way I did. You can combine them and do it chronologically. And it’s my hope that they’ll do it that way and then, long before they catch up with me, I’ll have published The Winds of Winter, which’ll give me another couple years. It might be tight on the last book, A Dream of Spring, as they juggernaut forward.

:stunned:

I think seven seasons is what will happen, with the very strong likelihood of Seasons 6 and/or 7 being extended by a couple extra episodes to fit it all in.

Since they will inevitably have to make *some* cuts, the question is what?

I think a lot of the Mereen storyline and all the wanderings of Tyrion and Brienne can be seriously truncated for purposes of length and pacing. Notice they've already cut out Dalla, Val, and Aemon Battleborn.

I also think that unless Aegon turns out to be the genuine article and a bona fide dragon rider to boot, (unlikely,) his storyline might well be cut altogether.

I think they'll have to include at least one Greyjoy brother, (most likely Euron,) and that Damphair will be cut for sure.

I also suspect at least some events from TWoW, (like the Battle of Mereen, Battle of Ice, Tyrion meeting Dany, Cersei/Margaery's trials, siege of Oldtown,) will take place at the end of Season 5, if for no other reason then they need climactic events. Frankly I look forward to seeing it because I want to know what happens.

Between HBO and D&D--who have come out and said seven seasons is the plan--and GRRM--who claims even now that AFFC and ADWD can be milked for three seasons, even knowing as he must that Season 4 is already getting into AFFC/ADWD territory and that the showrunners and HBO are firming up on the seven season number--someone's full of it. I'm inclined to think that it's GRRM. As the showrunners become increasingly clear on seven seasons, GRRM's repeated insisting that AFFC/ADWD can be stretched for three seasons sounds increasingly delusional.

GRRM is in Sansa land if he thinks the show will wait for him.

The producers/HBO have specifically ruled out a hiatus and have been very clear about that. It's full steam ahead

GRRM is in Sansa land if he thinks the show will wait for him. Right now the best scenario is he get a draft of TWOW to D&D mid 2015 so at least season 6 will follow the book. But season 7 will be D&D plus whatever GRRM told them.

Probably. BUt I'm hoping he'll also have at least an outline of ADoS to give them, and maybe a few specific scenes as well.

to me the only solution I can see is to split wow and have a two part season 7. at least that gives geoge a sot to finish and I think he will under that scenario.

I'd prefer it if he finishes the books but I'd rather not see him rush and risk comprimising the story he wanted to tell. He sold them the TV rights so I guess they can do what they want. Maybe they use the material he wrote for the 2-5 year skip and go along those lines.

So there’s potentially three more seasons there, between Feast and Dance, if they split into two the way they did [with Storms].

I'd love to hear his thoughts on how Sansa, Arya, Bran's storylines can be spaced out over three seasons (or even two). Or Davos, or Brienne, or pretty everybody else in the cast.

Archived