The Most Criminally Overlooked or Underrated Writers Ever List

The Killer Snark

I think Mark Z. Danielewski belongs here. His novel, House of Leaves is the strangest and scariest thing I've ever read. I've heard it described as The Ring or The Blair Witch Project put on paper, which would be superficial. Its way more than a horror novel. I struggle to even describe what it actually is. But, I do know that it is unique and if you take it up I can almost guarantee you wont see its like again. Danielewski has had his fair share of praise, but I rarely see House of Leaves mentioned anywhere outside of Amazon.com.

Boring or irritating, those are the words you should be looking for.

Unique does not equal underrated. And if that is his only book you think is underread he is probably not underrated.

Neither of these threads made if very far, so maybe it is underread?

House of leaves 1

House of Leaves 2

Roger Zelazny are at the top of my list as too often ignored, and brilliant writers.

I'm reading the Chronicles of Amber right now, my first foray into Zelazny, and while the ideas are magnificent the prose is serviceable at best and at times downright terrible. Fortunately the story is entertaining and it moves really fast, but I'm kind of disappointed. I'll probably still give Lord of Light a try at some point, but I'll probably lower my expectations a bit.

Barry Hughart's The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox is always my top candidate for this category. I have made more speculative fiction fans weep after giving them the first two and then telling them he only did three books.

Now I've got a good one : Wang Dulu. He wrote Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. and that is only the fourth book of his Crane Iron Pentalogy. He is so overlooked , he wasn't ever translated. But his work is still great. some deep messages in there and grey characters. No white black morality. But that comes with the region, asian literature is in the writing of complex characters better than western.

Barry Hughart's The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox is always my top candidate for this category. I have made more speculative fiction fans weep after giving them the first two and then telling them he only did three books.

You lost me at 'speculative fiction'

He wrote Twilight.

oh yeah. so criminally overlooked and underrated. It's basically GRRM level. one more level-up and he could co-write ADOS. and why not ? Twilight got big wolves and people made of ice fighting that have to be burned ...oh my god.. the connections! the connections!! :D

Exactly. Listing the likes of Ward Moore (Bring the Jubilee), Richard Marsh (The Beetle, which once outsold Dracula), Robert W Chambers (The King in Yellow) or even Frederick Pohl would be much closer to the point, though even that last one that I mentioned I suspect is too much read.

Archived