R+L=J v 75

Stubby

Take it as you will, mates. From WiC fan coverage of Season 4 premiere:

Isaac was wearing my favorite outfit of the night, I even took pictures of his shoes. I asked him if he would like to have Bran’s powers in real life, “HELL YES!” even if that meant taking on the negatives of those powers, “Yea, ya know it’s not all bad, right? That’s not so bad?” he said. I can’t spoil anything for the unsullied but our conversation then got crazy and long and involved lots of jumping around and waving our hands and talking about a Tower in the South of Westeros.

That happened.

I really CANNOT wait for this season to start!!!

Just a quick thought.

Jon has dreams that are not wolf dreams like Bran or Aryas. They seem more prophetic. That would seem to be a Targ trait.

What could possibly relate to Jon Snow in the Stark crypts of winterfell other than L?

Why would Jon have ever gone there in the first place? He apparently knows what they look like.

Ned took flowers to lyanna when he could. I wonder if he took Jon along.

I am still stuck on the idea that Ned promised L he would raise Jon as his son. (I dont see Robert as a threat or Ned hiding if Robert was.)

Well lets see the etemology before we identify the author's mistake.

gun (n.) ---Old Norse Gunnhildr, woman's name, from gunnr + hildr, both meaning "war, battle http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=gun&searchmode=none

wale (n.)----Old Norse völr "round piece of wood, http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=wale&allowed_in_frame=0

Dictionaries came after modern "guns" were in wide spread use around 1520. Wheel lock guns were in use by 1509 whih were an improvement over the 1400 matchlocks.

War or battle plank would have been an apt description of the top of a ship well before the invention of firearms.

gunwale would seem to be an anachronism.. until one looks to see if the term "gun" predates the use of firearms (cannon). It does so it isn't. GRRM did not make that particular mistake.er

Look at how quickly "google" founded in 1998 became a verb meaning to search for something on the internet. Look now at how quickly we have forgotten the dewey decimal system that was used for over 100 years. Will the next generation ever associate a search to giant boxes of cards or know that googol used to be a number?

Am I mistaken, or misreading this info I got from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gunwale

Origin of GUNWALE

Middle English gonne-wale, from gonne gun + 1wale; from its former use as a support for guns

First Known Use: 15th century

Just a quick thought.

Jon has dreams that are not wolf dreams like Bran or Aryas. They seem more prophetic. That would seem to be a Targ trait.

What could possibly relate to Jon Snow in the Stark crypts of winterfell other than L?

Why would Jon have ever gone there in the first place? He apparently knows what they look like.

Ned took flowers to lyanna when he could. I wonder if he took Jon along.

I am still stuck on the idea that Ned promised L he would raise Jon as his son. (I dont see Robert as a threat or Ned hiding if Robert was.)

He could hear her still at times. Promise me, she had cried, in a room that smelled of blood and roses. Promise me, Ned. The fever had taken her strength and her voice had been faint as a whisper, but when he gave her his word, the fear had gone out of his sister’s eyes. Ned remembered the way she had smiled then, how tightly her fingers had clutched his as she gave up her hold on life, the rose petals spilling from her palm, dead and black. After that he remembered nothing. They had found him still holding her body, silent with grief. The little crannogman, Howland Reed, had taken her hand from his. Ned could recall none of it. “I bring her flowers when I can,” he said. “Lyanna was… fond of flowers.”
- AGoT, Eddard I

While not explicitly stated, that is possibly, maybe even probably, implied here. Ned's thinks about Jon indirectly; blood and roses + Promise me. Then he says that he brings Lyanna flowers when he can. Once you make the connection between Jon and blue roses, it makes sense to read the passage that way.

Am I mistaken, or misreading this info I got from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gunwale

Origin of GUNWALE

Middle English gonne-wale, from gonne gun + 1wale; from its former use as a support for guns

No, you're not misreading anything, its just a very common mistake fed by circular sourcing. The ultimate origin of the term, like so many other seafaring ones does indeed to be Scandanavian in origin and has nothing to do with the mounting of guns, which were in any case parked on the deck.

What the term actually refers to is the strengthened strip around the top of the hull where fighting men could stand in order to jump on to the decks of other warships.

I don't like to use the show as any source of information or possible foreshadowing, but...

This line of Jon's from the trailers is peculiar:

"All that time I was gone, as if I went to sleep for a year...and when I woke up, the world's fallen apart."

I don't like to use the show as any source of information or possible foreshadowing, but...

This line of Jon's from the trailers is peculiar:

Well.... sounds a bit like a quote from Snowwhite, or Sleaping Beauty :P Might Jon be woken by a kiss, as well?

- Dang, a kiss... why did this never occur to me before?

Well.... sounds a bit like a quote from Snowwhite, or Sleaping Beauty :P Might Jon be woken by a kiss, as well?

- Dang, a kiss... why did this never occur to me before?

The kiss of life. Well, Mel is there, though I wish she is not the one to revive him.

Origin of GUNWALE

quite right

If George was using merriman webster he would be using an anachronism by a few hundred years.

The word comes from the wale's former use to support guns,(firearms)

The upper planks of a boat or ship existed before firearms,

Before firearms "gun" was a word meaning battle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_warfare

The Norse also fought several sea battles among themselves. This was normally done by binding the ships on each side together, thus essentially fighting a land battle on the sea. However the fact that the losing side could not easily escape meant that battles tended to be hard and bloody. The Battle of Svolder is perhaps the most famous of these battles.

the planks on the top decks of those ships can equally be referred to as"wale" and thny were where the battle "gun" took place. To call the upper planks of a viking ship that supported battle could equally be called "gunwale."

The term "gunwale" could have originated in Westeros without the need of firearms and refer to the same part of a ship that the 15th century english version does..

The kiss of life. Well, Mel is there, though I wish she is not the one to revive him.

If there was a frog, it might kiss the Prince and bring him back to life :P

As I am currently re-reading A Song for Arbonne, it only now struck me what an interesting motive we see right in the introduction: a staged abduction of a married young noblewoman who fell for a high-born poet. She dies later in childbirth and the child becomes a hidden heir, while the reveal of her affair causes a strife between her lover and her husband.

Has GRRM ever mentioned whether he likes G.G. Kay?

In the first episode

apparently Daario gives Dany three flowers including a blue rose. (link, in the comments)

He uses the flowers to explain that she should take advice from local people who know the area.

The blue rose is healing and there is a red flower which is poisonous and the lesson is that a local person would know the different but she wouldn't.

Hopefully this is a foreshadowing of Dany not completely screwing up when she gets to Westerous and helping out Team Jon.

If there was a frog, it might kiss the Prince and bring him back to life :P

As I am currently re-reading A Song for Arbonne, it only now struck me what an interesting motive we see right in the introduction: a staged abduction of a married young noblewoman who fell for a high-born poet. She dies later in childbirth and the child becomes a hidden heir, while the reveal of her affair causes a strife between her lover and her husband.

Has GRRM ever mentioned whether he likes G.G. Kay?

He is apparently a fan of historical fiction, (i.e.,probably Sharon Kay Penman, Margaret George, etc), but the book you are reading sounds like something I might be interested in reading.

He is apparently a fan of historical fiction, (i.e.,probably Sharon Kay Penman, Margaret George, etc), but the book you are reading sounds like something I might be interested in reading.

I definitely think you might, and it sort of falls into historical fiction, as well - though fantasy, it is inspired by a particular time and place (medieval Provence with its minstrels) and runs low at the fantastic elements. Instead, the leitmotive is the conflicts of the human heart... oh... wait.. sound like something that GRRM might want to read himself :-)

I definitely think you might, and it sort of falls into historical fiction, as well - though fantasy, it is inspired by a particular time and place (medieval Provence with its minstrels) and runs low at the fantastic elements. Instead, the leitmotive is the conflicts of the human heart... oh... wait.. sound like something that GRRM might want to read himself :-)

Thanks! ^_^

Edit: Okay, so I checked it out, and it's loosely based upon Provence and is referred to as "speculative," historical fiction I think?

That sounds like that might be something that Martin would be into, because I've always felt that he based Bravos and especially the Courtesans on the celebrated Venetian Courtesans, so I woudn't be surprised if he has read aSfA.

Archived