NFL 2014 Offseason: free agent frenzy winds down

DanteGabriel

But part of the reason Witten was so productive in 2007 was BECAUSE TO was there. Same with Bryant. BUt, now, Witten is not getting any younger, and those are Tight end years; they catch up fast. I am not saying he'll suddenly be a 34 reception guy, but its more likely a guy declines as he gets older than he improves. I mean, unless he's Barry Bonds or Peyton Manning. Oh, did I phrase it that way?

Or Tom Brady, to be fair. I mean his career numbers post 06 blow away his pre 06 numbers.

I figured when I heard that the Ravens play the Panthers in the upcoming season that it'd be a big influence on his decision. Ah, well. Now I have to hope he doesn't have as much left in the tank as when I was hoping he'd sign with the Pats.

Or Tom Brady, to be fair. I mean his career numbers post 06 blow away his pre 06 numbers.

Yeah, but I put that far more on the changes in the game itself than on Brady's use of PEDs in 2009... wait, what did I just say?

In all seriousness, the rule changes (or "recommitting" to the rules: just translation- stop picking on Mannin's receivers!) after 2004 were very restrictive on defenses; and after 2010 its just a joke. Prior to 2011, the league had TWO 5,000 year passers (Marino and Breese); they've had six since (Breese three more times, Brady, Manning, and Matt Stafford... kinda goes a little haywire at the end there). Brady also got a lot more help in 2007 and the LACK of quality before 2006 is pretty mesmerizing (Reche Caldwell, Jabbar Gaffney, David Patten ... yeah... that all happened).

Manning just had the greatest season by a QB EVER at age 37 and coming off neck surgery. Nothing to see here... move along.... move along....

In a related story (and just to show I am an equal-opportunity basher) the Red Sox just won a World Series. Their best player in the post-season was David Ortiz. In the World Series, Ortiz went 11-for-16 (.688) with a 1.948 OPS (That last one is EASILY a post-WS record).

Ortiz is 37 years old and had been slumping badly for much of the last few years. Nothing to see here... move along... move along...

Bears re-sign Charles Tillman to a one-year deal! They also re-signed DJ Williams and picked up DE Willie Young from the Lions. The defense already looks much improved, so the question remains: if both Haha Clinton-Dix and Aaron Donald are sitting on the board at 14, who do you take?

My vote is Donald. Haha will solidify a position but Donald is the type of DT who can make an entire defense better.

Rock,

Sorry I wasn't trying to imply Brady is or was a PED user. Just that there are definitely examples of players maintaining or exceeding their level of play as they age.

Good point about how the league has changed though. I mean just to add to your point didn't we see more QBs with 5,000+ yards in 2012 (Brees, Stafford and Brady right?) than there had been in the history of the game.

ETA: even though I'm sure PED use is larger than I imagine, it's still hard for me to imagine that someone like Brady or Manning doped up.

Bears re-sign Charles Tillman to a one-year deal! They also re-signed DJ Williams and picked up DE Willie Young from the Lions. The defense already looks much improved, so the question remains: if both Haha Clinton-Dix and Aaron Donald are sitting on the board at 14, who do you take?

My vote is Donald. Haha will solidify a position but Donald is the type of DT who can make an entire defense better.

It's a tougher decision now than it would have been 5 years ago. The Giants won two Super Bowls by dominating the line of scrimmage with a great defensive line. Their secondaries were never that great. Seattle, however, just won a Super Bowl with a dominant, physical secondary and a mediocre pass rush. You are starting to need a safety that can play center field AND play man against increasingly better tight ends.

I follow the Bears and I know they have been waiting for an impact safety since Mike Brown. As a Cowboys fan, I'll be watching what they do because they pick two spots ahead of Dallas and they have almost identical defensive needs. I'd still probably go with Donald but Clinton-Dix could have as big an impact.

Hakeem Nicks has signed a 1 year deal with the Colts! YAY!

He's been my #1 free agent hopeful, lots of upside, minimal downside on a 1 year deal (hopefully he works out better than Heyward-Bey)

I hope that going from Eliza to Luck will be a huge improvement for Nicks. Now for a Safety, a CB, and some O-line help.

Browner is good but not great. The dirty secret in Seattle was that they already had benched Browner before this whole drug use stuff in favor of Maxwell and Thurmond. He's very good against physical receivers but often takes really bad angles against faster guys.

Still he's better than whatever they had there.

Hakeem Nicks has signed a 1 year deal with the Colts! YAY!

He's been my #1 free agent hopeful, lots of upside, minimal downside on a 1 year deal (hopefully he works out better than Heyward-Bey)

I hope that going from Eliza to Luck will be a huge improvement for Nicks. Now for a Safety, a CB, and some O-line help.

Nicks with TY gives us a pair of outside threats. With Wayne coming back as the security blanket and Allen returning to bolster the TE position, the passing game should be very good. Now only if Trent Richardson could....

Looks like DRC is not an option , may be his cousin Antonio?

Nicks with TY gives us a pair of outside threats. With Wayne coming back as the security blanket and Allen returning to bolster the TE position, the passing game should be very good. Now only if Trent Richardson could....

Looks like DRC is not an option , may be his cousin Antonio?

My thoughts as well. The receiver position just became one of relative strength, even if Nicks plays at the level of the past 2 years.

As far as Antonio, I'm not sure how I would feel about that. On one hand, I think he's a great #2 CB. On the other hand, his long return at the end of the 2010 Divisional Playoffs set up the infamous 'Why is Jim Caldwell calling a timeout?' debacle...

Browner is good but not great. The dirty secret in Seattle was that they already had benched Browner before this whole drug use stuff in favor of Maxwell and Thurmond. He's very good against physical receivers but often takes really bad angles against faster guys.

I'm now turning my hopes to the Skins signing Thurmond.

As far as Antonio, I'm not sure how I would feel about that. On one hand, I think he's a great #2 CB. On the other hand, his long return at the end of the 2010 Divisional Playoffs set up the infamous 'Why is Jim Caldwell calling a timeout?' debacle...

He is better than what we have. Also please do not remind me of that painful memory :crying:

Sorry I wasn't trying to imply Brady is or was a PED user

That's okay; I was.

Let me put it a little milder: Tom Brady had a torm ACL+MCL in 2008 - an injury that takes 18 months to heal. He was back at playing-strength 12 months later. I'm just saying, if he WASN'T taking PEDs...

Oh, and after the 2009 season, Welker ABSOLUTELY was doing PEDs to get back in time for the 2010 opener.

And I think that's what the Pats wanted; they wanted a guy who was and would play physical; they want a guy to punch the receivers in the throat. Talib covered physically and while Brownr is no Talib, he won't have the same Role Talib had in 2014. In 2013, Vincent Jackson basically tapped out in the TB game against the Pats because Talib was banging on him. THat's what the Pats want out of Browner; they can put Revis on the more explosive, fast guys.

From an ESPN article announcing the signing:

"The rest of the position group is highlighted by Alfonzo Dennard, Logan Ryan and Kyle Arrington."

That has to be the saddest use of the word "highlighted" I have ever seen. They could have added, "Browner will replace the corpse of Steve Gregory" and the article would still be relatively accurate.

He is better than what we have. Also please do not remind me of that painful memory :crying:

I said when it happened that the timeout was not 'Calld' particularly 'well'.... :( Even my puns don't lessen the heartache. The worst part was that we all had an extra 60 seconds to suffer because of the stoppage of play.

That was the night I stopped believing in god or true love.

And now for yet ANOTHER reason to fucking hate Jay Cutler:

http://defamer.gawker.com/reality-star-idiot-kristin-cavallari-refuses-to-vacci-1544086342

From the article:

(F)ormer reality "star" Kristin Cavallari admitted that she and her husband, Chicago Bears quarterback Jay Cutler, do not believe in vaccinating their children due to autism fears.

"Results from a test that was developed to see if not vaccinating your children turns them into overpaid pussies were inconclusive."

Archived