GOODKIND VII, The sword of truthiness

To bring newcomers up to speed:

Yeard= Pony tail + Beard.

Yeardi= The Grand master of us all, Terry Goodkind.

Chicken that is not a chicken = In fifth book our heroes encounter a chicken that is really an evil spirit manifested. It even lets out the chicken equivalent of a MWAHAHAHAHA!

Goats are Noble = Book 6? Can't remember, but it stars a noble goat, and one of the cheesest passages ever written.

Richard's Thing = I think Goodkind meant this to be his righteous anger, that enables him to control the sword. However GK relates to it as his "thing" rises up at which point he kicks the face of an 8 year old girl in.

GioG = Goodkind is our God. A parody site that is quite funny. (Even if I can't access it on my computer !!!)

BBHN = Blessed Be His Name, as in 'Goodkind (BBHN) said..."

WLHHTU = We love how he touches us, as in 'Goodkind (BBHN,WLHHTU)'

G*dk*nd = Goodkind (for those who do not take the Lord's name in vain) as in G*dk*nd (BBHN, WLHHTU)

QOTD = Quote of the Day, random or requested quotes/scenes from SoT, as provided by the Mad Moose

I think we're still waiting for a QotD from G*dk*nd's (BBHN, WLHHTU) newest installment 'The Phantom Menace'

ETA: Link to GioG site

Sorry I crossed the line in the last one with an overly personal comment. The intent was merely to point out the difficulty in reading the posts, I won't let it happen again. (Usually I am far more friendly than that)

Sorry I crossed the line in the last one with an overly personal comment. The intent was merely to point out the difficulty in reading the posts, I won't let it happen again. (Usually I am far more friendly than that)

Your punishment will be to read Pillars of Creation. Sorry, its the rules.

I'm listening to another part of the interview (couldn't finish yesterday, I'm not that strong :P ), and I have to type yet another gem:

TG: What scares me is people who actually believe they're doing the right thing. That's the ...uh ..... worst examples in human history is you know, Aydolf Hitler believed that the jews had to be exterminated, you know, he wasn't doing it because he woke up and said " yanno I think I'll be a bad guy, I'm gonna pick some people to exterminate. He actually believed what he said. And these people in this book, uh, use some of the mechanisms that are archetypal, uh, story elements from history, but they believe in what they do and they have philosophy behind what they do. So the difference between what I'm doing and what's traditionally done<in traditional fantasy> is there would be a bad guy because he's bad. And he's just this boring bad and he's just bad . The difference with what I do is that the bad guys have a cause and they're fighting for something.

Absolutely no comment. :lol: On all levels.

eta: there was an interesting bit yesterday about how Israel should deal with its neighbours, I just might have to write it too

Pillars of Creation is a stiff punishment :unsure:

:lol:

Hey, I don't make the rules I just....wait a minute. I do make the rules. Hmm, the punishment stands and the rest of you will stay out of the matter unless you want to join him. ;)

Hey, I don't make the rules I just....wait a minute. I do make the rules. Hmm, the punishment stands and the rest of you will stay out of the matter unless you want to join him. ;)

I read it already! more fool me.

Like confession, it has to exonerate me of all sins for at least a year !!!! :uhoh: right? right?

so I'm like 100 pages into Stone of Tears and about ready to take my own eyes out.

a terrible point I'd completely forgotten: Additive and Subtractive Magic. :lol:

thank god richard hasn't run into any multiplicative, or even worse, divisive mages yet!

...he doesn't, does he? :leaving:

It seems the QotD has had the opposite effect of what was intended. People are actually starting to read TG, and that's very depressing. I feel like I've been handing out free samples of crack at a school yard. Shame on me. :cry:

so I'm like 100 pages into Stone of Tears and about ready to take my own eyes out.

a terrible point I'd completely forgotten: Additive and Subtractive Magic. :lol:

thank god richard hasn't run into any multiplicative, or even worse, divisive mages yet!

...he doesn't, does he? :leaving:

The two magic types should be additive and preservative.

Conservative and liberal...?

surely thats Conservative and "Commie-Mutant-Traitor"

After reading the great report on the Bakker signing in London, I'm now wishing that I ldidn't live so far from the big smoke - sounds like it was cool, and I'd love to have heard him talk about G--dK-nd (BBHN).

is there a linky you could post for a transcript, or something? I want to hear what the non believer had to say about the prophet whom the Arabs simply called al-Yeardi (BBHN).

I always plan on taking the weekends off from the QotD, my mind needs a break. But since it’s a new thread….Here we go with the Terry Goodkind Quote of the Day.

For those of you who aren’t in the know (blessed art thou), Richard’s ancestor Alric Rahl created a spell thousands of years ago to protect the D’Haran people from dreamwalkers. Everybody who swears allegiance to the house of Rahl gets this protection and in order to keep it there are regular devotions said all over the place.

“Master Rahl guide us,†the crowd all began together, if not all quite in harmony, as they bowed down and put their foreheads against the floor.

“Master Rahl teach us,†they all said, coming more into unison.

Berdine, her forehead against the tile, still managed to cast a fiery look Verna’s way. Verna rolled her eyes and bent forward, placing her forehead against the tile.

“Master Rahl protect us,†she muttered, finally joining in with the devotion she knew and had already once given to Richard himself. “In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.â€

Verna sourly considered how, if Richard didn’t wisely hurry up and get his hide to the D’Haran army, he wasn’t going to be able to protect anyone.

Together, the assembled throng softly chanted the devotion again.

“Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.’

Verna leaned a little toward Berdine and whispered. “How many times are we going to have to say the devotion?â€

Berdine, looking very much the Mord-Sith, shot Verna a stern glare. She didn’t say anything. She didn’t have to. Verna recognized the look. She herself had countless times used the same look as she peered down her nose at novices who were misbehaving or young wizards-in-training who were being mulish. Verna turned her eyes back to the tile under her, feeling very much like a novice again as she softly spoke the chant along with the rest of the people.

“Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.â€

The murmur of the chanted devotion, in the single joined voice of all the people gathered in the square, echoed through the cavernous halls.

<snip, blah blah blah>

Verna felt so all alone, even among the gathered crowd of so many people. She ached with how much she missed Warren. She had built a wall around her feeling and had shut herself away from such thoughts, as well as those around her, hoping to be spared the pain that always seemed to lurk just blow the surface. Now she was suddenly overwhelmed by the raw misery of how much she missed Warren, how much she loved him. He was the best thing that had ever happened in her entire life-and now he was gone. Tears from her hopeless heartache welled up. She felt so alone.

“Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve. Our lives are yours.â€

Verna sucked back a sob as she remembered kissing Warren for the last time as he lay dying. That had been the most dreadful moment in her entire life. Despite the time that had passed, it seemed as if it had happened yesterday. She missed him so much that it made her bones ache.

<snip>

Pin and longing twisted her insides. Her world was ashes. Nothing seemed worthwhile. She didn’t want to live anymore.

Verna choked back her sobs as she chanted the devotion. It never even occurred to her to wonder if anyone noticed her.

It had all been so senseless, a young man of no ability for anything worthwhile, with no interest in any values, of no use to anyone, including himself, murdering Warren just to prove his loyalty to the cause of the Imperial Order, which was, in essence, that people like Warren had no right to live his own life but instead should sacrifice themselves for the likes of his murderer.

Richard fought to end such madness. Richard fought with everything he had against those who brought such senseless brutality to the world. Richard had given himself over to ending it so that others would not have to lose those they loved as Verna had lost Warren. Richard truly understood her pain.

Verna sank into the rhythm of the chant, allowing it to wash through her. Richard stood for everything she had fought for her whole life-solidity, meaning, purpose. A devotion to such a man, rather than being blasphemy, seemed altogether right. In a way, because of who Richard was and what he stood for, it was actually a devotion to life itself rather than some otherworldly goal.

<snip>

Verna felt a warm shaft of sunlight settling on her as it broke through the clouds. She was bathed in the gentle, golden glow of light. It embraced her with its warmth that seemed to seep down and touch her very soul.

Warren would want her to embrace all the precious beauty of life while she had it.

In the loving touch of glowing light she felt peace for the first time in ages.

The soft flow of the words of the devotion, as she knelt in the warm shaft of sunlight, filled her with a profound calm, a serene sense of belonging unlike she ever had before. She whispered the words, letting them lift away the shards of pain. As she knelt, her head to the tiles, putting her heart and soul into saying the words, she felt free of any and every worry; she was suffused with the simple joy of life, and with reverence for it. As she chanted along with everyone else, she basked in the tender glow of the sunlight. It felt so warm, so protective. So loving.

It almost felt like Warren’s loving embrace.

<snip>

Verna looked up when she felt a hand on her shoulder. It was Berdine smiling down at her. Verna looked around and saw that most of the people were already gone. She alone still bowed forward on her hands and knees on the floor before the pool. Berdine was kneeling beside her.

“Verna, are you all right?â€

She straightened up on her knees. “Yes…it’s just that it felt so good in the sunlight.â€

Berdine’s brow twitched. She glanced over at the drops of rain dancing in the water of the pond.

“Verna, it has been raining the whole time.’

Verna peered around as she stood. “But…I felt it. I saw the glow of the shaft of light all around me.â€

Berdine seemed to catch on, then, and put a comforting hand on the small of Verna’s back. “I understand.â€

“You do?â€

Berdine nodded with a compassionate smile. “Going to devotion in a way gives you a chance to consider your life and along with that it brings comfort in many forms. Maybe one who loves you came to comfort you.â€

Verna stared at the soft smile on the Mord_Sith’s face. “Has that ever happened to you?â€

Berdine swallowed as she nodded. Her eyes brimming with tears said that it had.

~Terry Goodkind, Chainfire

Anybody feel like barfing? I know I do.

Archived