Small Questions v 10026

Stubby

I hate to be a pain in the ass but I don't remember in aCoK or aSoS when anyone mentions the possibility of Robb warging or even interacting that strangely. Can you tell me which chapters you read that led you to believe this?

This bit already convinced me:

Cursing, the Greatjon flung a flagon of ale into the fire and bellowed that Robb was so green he must piss grass. When Hallis Mollen moved to restrain him, he knocked him to the floor, kicked over a table, and unsheathed the biggest, ugliest greatsword that Bran had ever seen. All along the benches, his sons and brothers and sworn swords leapt to their feet, grabbing for their steel.

Yet Robb only said a quiet word, and in a snarl and the blink of an eye Lord Umber was on his back, his sword spinning on the floor three feet away and his hand dripping blood where Grey Wind had bitten off two fingers. "My lord father taught me that it was death to bare steel against your liege lord," Robb said, "but doubtless you only meant to cut my meat." Bran's bowels went to water as the Greatjon struggled to rise, sucking at the red stumps of fingers . . . but then, astonishingly, the huge man laughed. "Your meat," he roared, "is bloody tough."

Somewhere early in AGoT 53 Bran VI

In ACoK we hear the stories about an army of man-eating-wolves or was it wargs reading with Robb... while I wasn't able to find them without putting effort in it, I saw this:

He'd sent ravens to the Eyrie, he meant to wed the Lady Lysa Arryn and win the Vale. He'd bought a ton of silver to forge magic swords that would slay the Stark wargs.

somewhere early in ACoK 30 Arya VII

Earlier this bit shows complete control of the wolf. You might argue, not necessary Robb's control, but control nonetheless:

Yet it was not the sword that made Ser Cleos Frey anxious; it was the beast. Grey Wind, her son had named him. A direwolf large as any elkhound, lean and smoke-dark, with eyes like molten gold. When the beast padded forward and sniffed at the captive knight, every man in that hall could smell the scent of fear. Ser Cleos had been taken during the battle in the Whispering Wood, where Grey Wind had ripped out the throats of half a dozen men.

8th paragraph of ACoK 07 Catelyn I

... and in that chapter, it continues that way with Grey Wind playing the perfect role in a piece on stage, as if it had been rehearsed 30 times.

This is a TWOW spoiler and should not be discussed here. There's a TWOW forum for that.

The question can be asked here, that is no problem. For discussion of WOW contents, you should go to the WOW subforum.

In addition, questions involving the contents of WOW (such as the one asked), should be put in spoiler tags.

Has GRRM mentioned the possibility of Dany passing through the ruins of Valyria on her way to Westeros?

From an interview from 2012

Is there any chance we'll see Valyria?

Well.... there may be. Not a great chance, mind you. The question is, is it going to be a look at Valyria now, or Valyria in the past?

That last bit suggests to me that we could possibly see Valyria in a flashback (like Melisandre's short flashback "showed" us Asshai).

There is any evidence that Cersei actually slept with Osmund K? Or it was just Varys playing with Tyrion's head?

Osney for a certainty. Osmund might be. Varys hints that Cersei is flirting heavily with Osmund, not that she has already slept with him.

Does anyone have any idea's on how Gared (the deserter whose head Ned cut off in Bran I in Game, who was also with Ser Waymar and Will when the Others came in the prologue) got back south of the Wall?

Well we know that Ned was expecting to find a night watch deserter when the men come to tell him they found him in the beginning of AGOT. To me this suggests that he simply rode back to Castle Black, and then did not stop, but just continued south on his horse. Presumably unless there were men all ready to go on a ranging when he arrived he would have had a decent head start before people realized what happened and that they needed to go after him. Since we know he was a skilled ranger it then makes sense that being by himself he was able to get into the wolfswood and avoid leaving a trail.

I once saw it suggested that he used the weirwood door that Sam uses under the Nightfort, but I think we can rule this out for several reasons. First of all as he broke his vows I do not think the magic would have worked for him, just as I do not think it would work for Thorn in Dance. Second of all had he gone threw at the Nightfort he would have been more likely to be found by the mountain clans or men from Deepwood Motte, I doubt he was brought hundreds of miles to Winterfell just so Ned in particular could kill him, this suggests that he was captured in Winterfells territory along the Kings road. I think it is most likely that he stayed close to the Kings road in an attempt to get as far south as quickly as possible.

Well we know that Ned was expecting to find a night watch deserter when the men come to tell him they found him in the beginning of AGOT. To me this suggests that he simply rode back to Castle Black, and then did not stop, but just continued south on his horse. Presumably unless there were men all ready to go on a ranging when he arrived he would have had a decent head start before people realized what happened and that they needed to go after him. Since we know he was a skilled ranger it then makes sense that being by himself he was able to get into the wolfswood and avoid leaving a trail.

I once saw it suggested that he used the weirwood door that Sam uses under the Nightfort, but I think we can rule this out for several reasons. First of all as he broke his vows I do not think the magic would have worked for him, just as I do not think it would work for Thorn in Dance. Second of all had he gone threw at the Nightfort he would have been more likely to be found by the mountain clans or men from Deepwood Motte, I doubt he was brought hundreds of miles to Winterfell just so Ned in particular could kill him, this suggests that he was captured in Winterfells territory along the Kings road. I think it is most likely that he stayed close to the Kings road in an attempt to get as far south as quickly as possible.

He could have gone around by the Shadow Tower; I believe there is a quote that says Wildlings often get past in ones or twos? Maybe there wasnt such a quote but i thought so. Anyway, it seems to suggest that Gared would be able to pass the Wall as one man alone, but had he been in a larger group he would have been seen and apprehended. Also, remember that Gared was an experienced Ranger, so its likely he was experienced at avoiding detection

Yeah, there is such a quote. But that would mean that Gared's presence so close to Winterfell means he went a whole way back... into more populated area... And thus with more danger of being caught.

He was still in his Blacks, so chances are he was seen and declared a deserter precisely because he was entering a more populated area

He was still in his Blacks, so chances are he was seen and declared a deserter precisely because he was entering a more populated area

But as a smart ranger, as you said, wouldn't he be clever enough to make sure he stayed un relative unpopulated area's?

Don't get me wrong, I'll totally believe it if it turns out that Gared had secretly crossed the Wall again.

But they had passed Crasters, and had been riding for 9 days (since leaving the Wall). The way back would be another 8 or 9 days. That means they were nearby Craster/Castle Black, in distance. Eastwatch by the Sea is a large distance, even for one man with a horse. And Gared was a man in panick. Taking the long road to Eastwatch when your brothers would open the gates for you 8 days riding away...

Sounds a bit weird.

Which was why I thought about the Bridge of Skulls.. Any idea where that is located?

It seems that at Castle Black, they have no idea what happened to Ser Waymar (they still consider him as missing, indicating they there has been no chat with Gared.). Which makes it another possibility that Gared returned through Castle Black, but that he didn't get of his horse but simply kept riding...?

Which was why I thought about the Bridge of Skulls.. Any idea where that is located?

Which makes it another possibility that Gared returned through Castle Black, but that he didn't get of his horse but simply kept riding...?

The bridge of skulls is west of the shadowtower.

The second bit there i show I pictured it, if he was really just terrified and not caring about anything other than getting south he may have even hoped off his horse and taken a fresh 1. If you think about it, when something happens quickly it will often surprise you too much to do anything about. if you know Gared or at least knew of him as a skilled ranger and he rode into the stables hoped off his horse and onto another then took off, you would probably be scratching your head as he was 100 yards away.

The bridge of skulls is west of the shadowtower.

The second bit there i show I pictured it, if he was really just terrified and not caring about anything other than getting south he may have even hoped off his horse and taken a fresh 1. If you think about it, when something happens quickly it will often surprise you too much to do anything about. if you know Gared or at least knew of him as a skilled ranger and he rode into the stables hoped off his horse and onto another then took off, you would probably be scratching your head as he was 100 yards away.

Yeah, this could be I guess.

Are all the Stark children wargs/skin changers with their wolves?

To a greater or lesser degree, yes, but the amount of control varies widely.

Yes I know that Lady is dead, but assuming they were all alive and all the children as well, would all the wolves have bonded to the kids as Bran and Summer did?

Bran and Summer are somewhat of a special case.

In addition to the Bran/Summer case, Varamyr Sixskins felt that Jon Snow was a very strong warg as well, though untrained. He notes that warg can feel the presence of other wargs, but seeing as I can't recall that Jon ever felt that Varamyr was a warg (before learning the fact), it might be that some training is needed for that as well.

Sansa, without her wolf, will most likely never get any training.

I had considered making a thread on this, but decided not everyone wouldn't find this as fascinating as I do. Marriage on Planetos. Have you noticed the lack of happily married couples? I'm assuming because these marriages are based on political alliances mostly, but we have:

Daenerys and Drogo

Daenerys and Hizdar

Ramsay and Lady Whent

Tywin and Lady Joanna

Ned and Catelyn

Lysa and Jon

Cersei and Robert

Margaery and Joffrey

Margaery and Renly

Tyrion and Tysha

Tyrion and Sansa

Tyrek and Lady Ermi-something

Robb and Jeyne

Etc...

It could be that there are several happily married peasants about and these are all victims of the Game, but by comparison, I would say that Stannis and Selyse have the most stable marriage in Westeros, and they don't even speak much. Lollys and Bronn are probably securely in the #2 spot.

Lol, everything has been noticed in Westeros. If you search the topic of marriage, you'll likely find threads, AF. :)

Not to say you can't or shouldn't open a thread, see what you come up with on a search and how recent it was, and pick a topic about marriage in general, or specific marriages.

The 'point' of the list is to show justification for asking the question. There are almost no enduring marriages among the players, and that's passing odd.

So, back to original question, have you noticed?

I think most of us have noticed, but that's usually the way that arranged marriages worked, they weren't for love they were usually for connections.

edt Fragile Bird beat me to it. :)

Archived