Small Questions v 10026

Stubby

The 'point' of the list is to show justification for asking the question. There are almost no enduring marriages among the players, and that's passing odd.

So, back to original question, have you noticed?

Actually no. See, in our world the saying is "until death us depart" and that's true for more than half of them. I wonder if Ramsay and Lady Whent should have read Lady Hornwood? Than it is nine even.

Now when you compare lucky and unlucky marriages, that's a point Grrm has said he has taken from what you can observe in the world around you: most marriages aren't lucky, no matter if they were arranged or out of love and the partner's own choice. In that world and in this one.

To save the day, statistically, married people are happier people, strangely enough even if the marriage is among the unhappy ones.

I did not say any of these marriages were not successful in themselves*

It was more of an observation from where we are , post Book 5 [This part, I did not make clear], and the current state of these marriages. Dany/Drogo: Death. Tywin/Joanna: Both dead. Ned/Cat: both killed. Rob /Jeyne: Death.

I had said it was possible thst there were probably happily married peasants, and somewhere along the way everyone took it as having said there are no happy or successful marriages, etc, in general.

No. Not what was meant, just poor wording. We're after book 5. We'll say that's the 'present'. If I go back through a list of these marriages, none have endured for one reason or another. Death, murder, magic, etc. So, during the present, we have but few of our main players still with their partners.

Again, I'm sure some of these couples may have been happy, but their ends were not. Given how many characters we meet and how many weddings we hear about, it's astounding how most of them turn out.

Life and love are all about losing and suffering it. Nothing ever ends well :-/ or it would not end.

Cat & Ned were very sucessfull. They had a long and very good time together. So had their many children as their family. We also know even that model family was not without troubles, but that's the way of the word. What more can anyone ask of life?

On the other hand, the weddings in the books are a running joke, haven't you noticed?

Speaking about Tywin and Joanna's marriage... Tywin hated how "weak" Tytos was, weak in the sense that he let things happen, he wanted to please everyone (like marrying Genna to Emmon Frey). But would it ever have occured to Tywin that this was also the reason he was allowed to marry Joanna (the love match)? Had Tytos been like Tywin, he would have ordered a marriage for Tywin (likeTywin himself did for Cersei, and was doing when Jaime took the white). Tywin got to marry the woman he loved, because his father allowed it. But had Tytos been the strong man Tywin wanted him to be, it most likely never would have happened.

Ah, dear irony.

To also fall back on Gared from yesterday... During the Hand's tourney in 298 AC, Sansa mentions how the Royce's visited Winterfell 2 years past, when Waymar went to take the black. From Winterfell to Castle Black takes about 3 weeks, and the Royces stayed at Winterfell a fortnight. It's even possible the Rocyes stopped at Last Heart before going to the Wall (since they would have passed it anyway), prolonging their trip to the Wall. All together, from the moment the Royces arrived at Winterfell, until the moment the reached the Wall, most likely some 2 months passed. Sansa makes the claim somewhat late in the year (though it won't exactly be 2 years past, it gives a general idea). Gared was beheaded about half a year before.

When Waymar and Will die, Waymar has been at the Wall almost half a year.

2 years ago - half a year = 1,5 year before Gared got beheaded, the Royces visited Winterfell.

± 3 months after the visit, Waymar arrived at Castle Black and took the black. This leaves 1,25 year.

Six months after taking the black (1,25 - 0,5 = 0,75 year) Waymar died.

Am I wrong to say that Gared managed to stay undetected for roughly 6 to 9 months?

That, or George is just shit with geography and traveling times. I'm somewhat leaning towards the latter.

Haha, probably, though it would fit nicely with "They had been losing a lot of men during rangings the last 2 years" as said by Jon in early 299 AC. It would make Gared/Will/Waymar one of the first groups to have gone missing, I think.

In aCoK, Bran V, when the Walder Freys learn the death of their uncle Stevron :

"Sadly, no victory is without cost." Maester Luwin turned to the Walders. "My lords, your uncle Ser Stevron Frey was among those who lost their lives at Oxcross. He took a wound in the battle, Robb writes. It was not thought to be serious, but three days later he died in his tent, asleep."

Big Walder shrudded. "He was very old. Five-and-sixty, I think. Too old for battles. He was always saying he was tired."

Little Walder hooted. "Tired of waiting for our grandfather to die, you mean. Does this mean Ser Emmon's the heir now?"

"Don't be stupid," his cousin said. "The sons of the first son come before the second son. Ser Ryman is next in line, and then Edwyn and Black Walder and Petyr Pimple. And then Aegon and all his sons."

I don't understand the last sentence. At first I thought Big Walder spoke of Aegon Frey's sons, but he has none. So it should be Stevron Frey's other sons than Ryman and Aegon, but he has only Walton left, according to the Appendix. So who are these sons ?

In aCoK, Bran V, when the Walder Freys learn the death of their uncle Stevron :

I don't understand the last sentence. At first I thought Big Walder spoke of Aegon Frey's sons, but he has none. So it should be Stevron Frey's other sons than Ryman and Aegon, but he has only Walton left, according to the Appendix. So who are these sons ?

Either this is a mistake, or it is meant to show us how little the Frey's care for their half-siblings (and they don't, this is a thing expressed on several occasions, even by Frey's themselves)

You are right. Aegon was Lord Walders second born son, but he has no sons of himself. After Aegon comes Walton, with his own sons Steffon and Bryan.

Although Roose doesn't expect his brood by Fat Walda to inherit anything; he as much as says Ramsay will kill them all. Roose seems to accept that Ramsay will run his house into the ground...

Or he is using Ramsey's ruthlessness to his advantage until his trueborn heir is born. Then, he will kill him. Rack up some lands before getting rid of him.

Not likely but, I can't really make sense of him not caring about his house. He seemed to have so much pride in his firstborn son.

Or he is using Ramsey's ruthlessness to his advantage until his trueborn heir is born. Then, he will kill him. Rack up some lands before getting rid of him.

Not likely but, I can't really make sense of him not caring about his house. He seemed to have so much pride in his firstborn son.

I tend to agree. I think Ramsay's days are numbered no matter what happens at Winterfell. But he is kin and I think Roose is trying to avoid becoming a kinslayer.

It would also be usefull for Roose if "Arya" becomes pregnant with Ramsay's child before he dies.

I tend to agree. I think Ramsay's days are numbered no matter what happens at Winterfell. But he is kin and I think Roose is trying to avoid becoming a kinslayer.

There are theories about Roose having written the Pink Letter to Jon in the hopes of getting Jon to kill Ramsay.

Archived