Small Questions v 10026

Stubby

Anyone else know what all was updated in the app? So far I've noticed the full Tyrion chapter that he had read before and a lot of Targ ladies seem to have been added. Was there anything else big that was supposed to be in there?

A lot of places in Essos have gotten an additional line of information, I've heard.

Much new info on Targaryen ladies?

We'll from what I understand there were some places and people updated. Someone mentioned something about Ifeqevron or something on another thread if that means anything to you? And I. werthead's Atlas of Ice and Fire thread he seems to have updated some stuff about Essoss and the drying of several seas. Try the World of Ice and Fire subforum, there seems to be some further info there

ETA - http://www.westeros.org/ASoWS/News/Entry/World_of_Ice_and_Fire_App_Update_Arrives

Thank-you!

Was Harren the black a Greyjoy?

No. He was Harren Hoare, from a different House of the Iron Islands. He was the last of the Iron Kings and only after his fall (Aegon's Conquest) the Greyjoy family took over under command of the newly established Iron Throne.

The wiki is always your friend :)

Was Harren the black a Greyjoy?

No, Harren was a member of House Hoare. His house died with him and his sons, when they were burned to death inside Harrenhal by Balerion the Black Dread.

Even though it is stated that his house died when Aegon descended onto Harrenhal, it should be noted that Harrens brother at the time of the Conquest was the Lord Commander of the Nights Watch. He lived on for an unknown amount of years.

A lot of places in Essos have gotten an additional line of information, I've heard.

Much new info on Targaryen ladies?

I just noticed a few names added to some of the men, like an Egg daughter but I haven't had time to go through it all yet.

@Florence's Machine, thanks, I'll go through that in a bit

Does anyone know what was the Grand Unified Conspiracy Theory(GUCT), which was mostly invalidated by ASOS? I've seen it mentioned on the Board FAQ (Q. What are some of these acronyms I see being tossed around?)..

Very generally speaking (and exaggerated), it was a theory that blamed everything that happened on Littefinger's scheming. LF was responsible for every possible plot twist, downfall etc. etc.... Some of these suspicions turned out to be true, however, many other ones (like the assassination attempt on Bran in AGOT) not so much.

Edit: slightly elaborated

No, Harren was a member of House Hoare. His house died with him and his sons, when they were burned to death inside Harrenhal by Balerion the Black Dread.

Even though it is stated that his house died when Aegon descended onto Harrenhal, it should be noted that Harrens brother at the time of the Conquest was the Lord Commander of the Nights Watch. He lived on for an unknown amount of years.

Also worth noting that someone calling himself "Harren the Red" briefly retook Harrenhal during the reign of Aenys. He could have been a bastard of Harren or something like that. Or just a random guy who thought the name sounded cool.

The reason I asked earlier if Harren the Black was a Greyjoy was because I read about the Greystarks who once held the wolfsmouth where White Harbor now is. Since the Ironborn once held the area it seemed reasonable to assume that a marriage had taken place between Greyjoy and Stark but they were not the kings back then so I guess not.

Very generally speaking (and exaggerated), it was a theory that blamed everything that happened on Littefinger's scheming. LF was responsible for every possible plot twist, downfall etc. etc.... Some of these suspicions turned out to be true, however, many other ones (like the assassination attempt on Bran in AGOT) not so much.

Edit: slightly elaborated

Thanks. They were right about Jon Arryn though ;)

Was it definitely Ironborn who held the Wolf's Den? I thought it was just pirates/slavers? White Harbour/the Wolfs Den is the wrong side of the continent for.the Ironborn

You're right, no Ironborn held the Wolf's Den, AFAIK. It was mostly slavers/raiders from the Three Sisters or Stepstones who attacked the White Knife. There seems to be confusion because of a certain House of the North, the Greystarks (not Greyjoys!), who back in the day held the castle, until they rebelled against the Starks together with the Boltons.

ETA: There is no mention on the wiki whether the Greystarks were offspring of Starks and Greyjoys. They are just defined as a "cadet branch of House Stark". Those were, simply put, the descendants from younger male-lines of a noble House, i.e. from those younger sons who didn't inherit their fathers seat. Who was the wife of the first Stark son who happened to call himself Greystark? We don't know.

Is it true a dragons power and strength are effected by rain?

I guess no. Unless we are talking about simple scientific oriented effects - like maybe less aerodynamics (weird thermal lifts in flight) or burning fires going out more quickly etc. ... I don't think there is any mention that the physical or magical strength of dragons (in and of itself) is influenced merely by rain.

A cold winter? We have to wait and see.

ETA: @RumHam Thanks for providing the references!

Is it true a dragons power and strength are effected by rain?

From the World of ice and Fire preview pages

"A rainstorm dampened Balerion's fires, but could not quench them entirely."

From the Princess and the Queen:

Outside, the storm was raging. Thunder rolled across the castle, the rain fell in blinding sheets, and from time to time great bolts of blue-white lightning lit the world as bright as day. It was bad weather for flying, even for a dragon, and Arrax was struggling to stay aloft when Prince Aemon mounted Vhagar and went after him. Had the sky been calm, Prince Lucerys might have been able to outfly his pursuer, for Arrax was younger and swifter … but the day was black, and so it came to pass that the dragons met above Shipbreaker Bay.

So it's harder to fly a smaller dragon in a storm, and harder to burn people alive in heavy rain. Other than that I'd say no not really.

Archived