Cooking Questions 4: More questions about cookery

MisterOJ

So, question for cooking beef fudge.... Do I need to cook the beef before hand, or can I just fold the ground chuck into the fudge mixture? would hate for the beef to be too dry and overcooked, but of course I want that crunchy texture without the walnuts (allergies and all)... 

10 minutes ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

So, question for cooking beef fudge.... Do I need to cook the beef before hand, or can I just fold the ground chuck into the fudge mixture? would hate for the beef to be too dry and overcooked, but of course I want that crunchy texture without the walnuts (allergies and all)... 

"An elegant way to use up leftover roast beef." 

Elegant.

2 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

Trying to do smothered pork chops.  They're browned, in a gravy base and in the oven at 250.  Down here they are supposed to be fork-tender.  I just couldn't put them in without browning them first.  Did I screw up?

IDK. My mom used to make them a lot when I was a kid. I don't think she ever browned them though. But, I don't think that should hurt them much either.

Searing things makes them delicious. Maillard  reaction is our friend. You did it all right except for the overcooking of them.  

I would perhaps just sear my chops, cover them with my gravy and baste them stove top until the meat cooked to my liking.  For me I like pork medium.  

For bonus points one can brine their chops to ensure moistness and enhance flavor.

Oh, and I came to a horrific understanding of life recently.  Almost nobody's mother or grandmother was a good cook. The nostalgia of this matron feeding us is magical.  It has fooled us into these beliefs about their culinary prowess. 

1 hour ago, MercifulChief said:

Oh, and I came to a horrific understanding of life recently.  Almost nobody's mother or grandmother was a good cook. The nostalgia of this matron feeding us is magical.  It has fooled us into these beliefs about their culinary prowess. 

I'll say a big EFF YOU to that. The whole point of cooking these smothered pork chops correctly is so that people don't have to put in their teeth to eat them.  That's how OLD people here remember serving them to their OLD people.

10 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

I'll say a big EFF YOU to that. The whole point of cooking these smothered pork chops correctly is so that people don't have to put in their teeth to eat them.  That's how OLD people here remember serving them to their OLD people.

Old people and their memories.  Give me a delicious and well cooked meal, thanks.

Archived