Cat Selling Clams

KellieBom

Did anyone notice that the spicy little girl who defends Sam on the piers in Braavos is Arya? We meet her in Feast for Crows simply as 'Cat' selling clams, but in Dance we learn that our fiesty little Cat is Arya.

She recognizes Sam as a man of the Nights Watch, but she doesn't even ask about Jon. That part I don't really understand. She's not fully 'no one' yet. Isn't she curious about her bastard brother she misses so much? Why wouldn't she question Sam a little bit about him?

• 4 weeks later...

The FM constantly ask Arya who she is and she answer's "no one" and the kindly man calls her a liar. Now in this situation she's trying to take her training seriously. So when she sees Sam she probably instantly thinks Jon Snow but Cat doesn't have a brother named Jon Snow...Arya does. Basically that's something Arya would ask and she's trying to portray "Cat". Also of course we realized that Cat was Arya in Samwell's chapter...pretty obvious

Now, now, let's not belittle anybody for not recognizing a particular plot twist that you may have seen right away. GRRM has slipped plenty of things in these books that got past me until somebody here explained it to me so I know the feeling of not realizing the significance of a particular scene then feeling dumb when somebody explains it and it actually makes sense. I totally missed that the alchemist was likely Jacquen in the prologue of Feast for instance...

• 1 month later...

Did anyone notice that the spicy little girl who defends Sam on the piers in Braavos is Arya? We meet her in Feast for Crows simply as 'Cat' selling clams, but in Dance we learn that our fiesty little Cat is Arya.

You better do a re-read. AFFC makes it perfectly clear. Cat of the Canals:

..."I'm a cat now, not a wolf. I am Cat of the Canals." The wolf dreams belonged to Arya of House Stark. Try as she might, she could not rid herself of Arya.

Arya chewed her lip. "Would it work on dogs?""On any animal with warm blood." The waif slapped her...."It is Arya of House Stark who chews on her lip whenever she is thinking."...

We know from Blind Beth that Arya is well informed about the proceedings at The Wall, be it Hardhome or the deeds of Jon Snow, the "Black Bastard of The Wall". After all, it's just 2 weeks by ship from Eastwatch to Braavos.

I wonder wether Jon ever mentioned his fierce left-handed little sister, so good with blades, to his friend Tarly. Sam might have figured out who helped him in the incident with Terro and Orbelo...

Edited for grammar.

Archived