Greens or Blacks, and who fought dirtier?

Suzanna Stormborn

PATQ is a crazy story. Which side is everyone on? Which side fought dirtier? And who deserved the throne?

OK so my opinion is that Queen Alicent stirred the whole Dance up almost single-handedly. Her son Aegon was happy to let his half-sister Rhaenyra have the IT, as she was named heir by her father the king. Rhaenyra happened to not be at KL the day her father died, she was on Dragonstone giving birth. Queen Alicent basically took it upon herself to declare her son should be king instead, she sent to Aegon who said 'no that's ok, I am not the heir' then Alicent insisted that Rhaenyra would surely kill him and his brothers if she took the throne, at which point Aegon changed his mind.

But there was no evidence that Rhaenyra planned to kill her family members if she had been crowned, it was never discussed. All the anger started once Alicent basically lied to get her son on the throne........

So who was right?

Who Fought dirtier?

Aemond was pretty bad with Vhagar, But Dameon was very uncaring when he let like 100 people die trying to tame the wild dragons. Also the betrayers were pretty nasty to Tumbleton......

I agree with you both. The war was actually started by a Hightower and a Cole, not the Targaryens at all.

Rhaenyra was definitely right, she was the true heir, "the realms delight", it's a shame what losing her sons, and the war did to her.

As for who fought dirtiest, well both sides did really. First Aemond killing Rhaenyra's son, then Blacks countered with Blood and Cheese. I would say it's a draw on who was dirtiest, although the Greens struck first.

The Blacks, Blood and Cheese was by far the dirtiest move in the book. That being said, I'm a Black fan.

I'm not sure that Aegon was truly reluctant to take up the crown. The whole book has a level of Green bias and when you look at his reaction to Otto failing at beating the blacks and feeding his sister to his dragon, it doesn't seem that he wanted her to rule over him. I'm assuming the author wanted to paint Aegon as a reluctant king who claimed the crown to protect his family, it makes him seem more likable.

The source for Aegon's reluctance to take the crown is, according to Ran who knows the unabridged version, Septon Eustace, a Green loyalist to the core. He is also the one claiming that Rhaenyra bled at her thighs and legs when sitting on the Iron Throne in full armor. Not very trustworthy, that kind of guy.

Even more importantly, Aegon acts completely out of character in that first scene when he rejects the crown if you compare the scene to his later behavior that was witnessed by the full court. He has been groomed by his mother to desire the crown and loath his half-sister early on, it appears.

But Septon Eustace obviously was aware of Viserys' last will and testament, and that the Greens were de facto usurping the Iron Throne. Thus he surely felt the importance to portray Aegon as more innocent in the actual throne-stealing event rather than to admit that he was eager to seize his sister's throne.

The source for Aegon's reluctance to take the crown is, according to Ran who knows the unabridged version, Septon Eustace, a Green loyalist to the core. He is also the one claiming that Rhaenyra bled at her thighs and legs when sitting on the Iron Throne in full armor. Not very trustworthy, that kind of guy.

Even more importantly, Aegon acts completely out of character in that first scene when he rejects the crown if you compare the scene to his later behavior that was witnessed by the full court. He has been groomed by his mother to desire the crown and loath his half-sister early on, it appears.

But Septon Eustace obviously was aware of Viserys' last will and testament, and that the Greens were de facto usurping the Iron Throne. Thus he surely felt the importance to portray Aegon as more innocent in the actual throne-stealing event rather than to admit that he was eager to seize his sister's throne.

I definitely agree with this.

I'd say the Greens fought dirtier since they started the whole deal, with what you'd call underhanded tactics and attempting to justify queue jumping, thats not to say the blacks hands are clean, but the Greens have an awful lot to answer for, and it was a green that pushed it right over the edge and past the point of no return.

I definitely agree with this.

I'd say the Greens fought dirtier since they started the whole deal, with what you'd call underhanded tactics and attempting to justify queue jumping, thats not to say the blacks hands are clean, but the Greens have an awful lot to answer for, and it was a green that pushed it right over the edge and past the point of no return.

You mean Alicent? Or someone else?

Also that is interesting what Lord Varys was saying about the narrator being biased for the greens. I definitely felt like a lot of the blame should be laid at Alicents feet instead of Aegon, but that was due to the way the story was told and the way Aegon 'refused' the crown at first.

You mean Alicent? Or someone else?

Also that is interesting what Lord Varys was saying about the narrator being biased for the greens. I definitely felt like a lot of the blame should be laid at Alicents feet instead of Aegon, but that was due to the way the story was told and the way Aegon 'refused' the crown at first.

Alicent for sure, but also Aemond if I remember correctly, or were they already actually in open war by then? I always thought of it as kind of like the arch duke being shot, it was the moment that pushed a situation that was, barring a few very well placed assassinations perhaps, always going to result in war anyway, but that it was still pretty despicable (what Aemond did, I mean. I am pretty indifferent to real life assassinations).

It really is interesting, or maybe we just give GRRM too much credit as the master of biased point of views lol

I'm Team Black all the way, and I want some more Prince Daemon Targaryen while we're at it, just sayin'!! LOL, I hear we are getting a Dear Daemon story soon, I can't wait.

I definately agree with everyone who has pointed out that the written account we received in short story is definately biased to the Greens, and it's actually made me suspicious of Hightowers in general now, too. I do like how it was Rhaenyra's family, in the long run, that continued the Targ dynasty. I do wonder if her son Aegon didn't mind losing the dragons, after what he witnessed. That also makes my point that inspite of the nasty choices in Blood and Cheese, I still think the Greens were, on the whole, more awful.

~Waves~

PS....Hi everyone, been a while.

Archmaester Gyldayn, the narrator, was not necessarily biased, but his sources are (i.e. Septon Eustace). In the as of yet unpublished unabridged version of the story, the sources are apparently identified and put into perspective.

I don't see any Black bias in the story, though. There is no voice declaring Rhaenyra should rule, and/or a general Black hype.

While Blood and Cheese was horrifying, I'll say the Greens started the whole thing by fighting dirty three times over: 1) the whole usurping business; 2) killing the old man who oh the horror! wanted to keep his vows; 3) leaving Viserys to rot until the Red Keep became a place that was literally quite... dirty.

Archived