TWOW. Tyrion Chapter from ASOIAF App (Spoilers)

Did any of you who've read the chapter notice any significant change in Tyrion or potential foreshadowing for Tyrion doing something "really terrible" later in the book (I mean, something worse than what he's already done)? I kind of figured Tyrion had bottomed out--psychologically, morally, everything-ly--in ADWD, but who am I kidding? This is ASOIAF: there's always more down.

I think she somewhat exaggerates. There is quite a bit of self-loathing going on but no more so than in the previous book.

Both apps are the same, they're just the iOS and Android versions of the app. I actually have no idea why their names are different between the platforms. It's quite confusing.

Ironborn! Come on, i wanna see some Kraken violence!

Ok, liek, Penny totally snarked and i lol'd. "You'd sell your sister for a cup of horsepiss!" Nice.

"The gods did not fashion me to wield a sword, so why do they keep putting me in the midst of battles?"

Damn right no one cared! Gods, Tyrion just isnt over himself yet and thats annoying. Jeez.

Penny is distracting and thats really the only thing that annoys me about her. The character does not irritate me but Tyrion's opinion of her is distracting. Ehhh.

Firing corpses at dragons. Fun.
And Jorah does something useful! Thats nice. How nice of Jorah to finally make himself useful. I like that one dude's armor. Its gotta be seriously ribald and my headcanon is that its a dude nailing a chick upside down and spread eagle. Cuz thats pretty depraved and would make Tyrion chuckle.

White dragon piece + dude's blood = Weirwood colors. Deal with it. B)

White dragon piece + dude's blood = Weirwood colors. Deal with it. B)

Yeah, I'd have to think some pretty obvious weirwood imagery would trump the fact that it fell at Tyrion's feet and that he picked it up in the potential foreshadowing department.

Did any of you who've read the chapter notice any significant change in Tyrion or potential foreshadowing for Tyrion doing something "really terrible" later in the book (I mean, something worse than what he's already done)? I kind of figured Tyrion had bottomed out--psychologically, morally, everything-ly--in ADWD, but who am I kidding? This is ASOIAF: there's always more down.

I think your instincts are on point, Newstar.

ADWD, in part, seemed to track Tyrion's loss, confusion and acting out driven from his previous actions, current circumstances, ongoing bad luck and so forth, where this chapter - in my view - would seem to foreshadow a turning point, and an urge to "seize control" driven from having hit bottom, and recognizing that he might just be able to impact events for the better, given the right circumstances and/or opportunities.

In short, I don't see a dark turn in Tyrion's imminent future from I've read... Further, to do so would only repeat the emotional component of his arc in ADWD, which would seem unnecessary, if not redundant besides.

As for dragon riding, I'm sure I'll add more thoughts on that later...

For now, as "crucial" as it appears that he grabs the white cyvasse dragon in this chapter, he equally as adamantly grabbed the black dragon in his cyvasse game with fAegon in ADWD and flew it across a range of mountains, so I'm not so sure how "obvious" it is that he's "guaranteed" to ride the white dragon just yet...

Additionally, Tyrion recalls his previous cyvasse experiences more than once in this chapter, as well as his and Tywin's very different roles in the Battle of the Green Fork (him in the van, and Tywin safely away from the action), almost as a "coming of age" moment indicative of his gravitation toward the onus of command, and finally being a true "player" of the game of thrones...

So, yeah. I got a lot more optimism here (in the face if adversity) than others might have taken away on their first read...

But I may have missed a detail or two as well. :)

Wait a minute...

For now, as "crucial" as it appears that he grabs the white cyvasse dragon in this chapter, he equally as adamantly grabbed the black dragon in his cyvasse game with fAegon in ADWD and flew it across a range of mountains, so I'm not so sure how "obvious" it is that he's "guaranteed" to ride the white dragon just yet...

Maybe it doesnt mean dragon riding at all. Maybe its just about how much Tyrion influences the "dragons" in motion? Meaning Aegon and Dany in this case. He grasped the black cyvasse dragon and Aegon went west. Tyrion grabs the white dragon, perhaps Dany goes west? A foreshadowing that Tyrion will move another dragon on the "cyvasse" board? Hes already getting ready to fight for Dany so...

I think he will have influence over something Dany winds up doing. I dont think "white dragon = Tyrion riding it".

Wait a minute...

Maybe it doesnt mean dragon riding at all. Maybe its just about how much Tyrion influences the "dragons" in motion? Meaning Aegon and Dany in this case. He grasped the black cyvasse dragon and Aegon went west. Tyrion grabs the white dragon, perhaps Dany goes west? A foreshadowing that Tyrion will move another dragon on the "cyvasse" board? Hes already getting ready to fight for Dany so...

I think he will have influence over something Dany winds up doing. I dont think "white dragon = Tyrion riding it".

Exactly! Every time a dragon cyvasse piece is mentioned it represents a targaryen. When Arianne got her piece from her father it was about Daenerys. Here the dragon may just represent Dany and he holds it as a symbol to himself that he is on her side now. He was sent to her by Illyrio, perhaps he will control her by advice.

That dragon piece has some clear weirwood imagery going for it though, so if it represents a Targ it would definitely be Jon (or perhaps BR, but I doubt it), not Dany or Aegon. However, I struggle to imagine what the significance of it landing at Tyrion's feet would mean in that case, since he and Jon are so far away from one another. This is maybe a little crackpot, but could it mean that Tyrion will be the one to uncover R+L=J somehow? The evidence of there being a Targ in the North falls at his feet (hence the weirwood-esque dragon)? Crackpot, like I said.

Anyway, I don't think that bit of symbolism means Tyrion will ride a dragon either. I've been of the opinion for a while now that Tyrion will leave Meereen before Dany shows up, since she will probably be gone a long time if the whole Vaes Dothrak theory is true (likely imo). I don't think Tyrion is going to want to wait around Meereen with Vic that long...there is decent enough "monkey" symbolism to point to those two not getting along at all (in addition to common sense, based on their personalities). So if this theory that the bloody dragon piece represents Viserion getting injured pans out, then I could see Tyrion using the Second Sons to help him cart the injured dragon off along the Demon Road to keep it from Vic. He could meet up with Dany later, once they are both closer to Westeros.

Loved it! Also, the app is totally worth it...less than $10 for all info packs together, hours of entertainment.

Some thoughts:

-Love the descriptions of panic and fear in the background. So THIS is what a battle looks like with dragons around!

-Agree with several posters about Jorah. He is back in business!

-The depraved breastplate guy is mentioned in Dance. He comes to court with Bloodbeard to drop off Groleo's head.

-Brown Ben's laid-back attitude is hilarious. Also like how he makes the messenger come into the tent, presuming some stabbin needs to be done.

There isn't much new in this chapter, since it has been reported on before from a reading. Nevertheless, it is good to have something new to keep us going.

There is a ton of stuff going on, I will have to read it a couple more times to get all the different armed groups sorted out - lots of description of such and such a company going here and different groups moving elsewhere.

If the white cyvasse piece does end up being foreshadowing, it is done in a really heavy-handed, obvious way.

Good to see the command structure of Meereen's ambushers in action, and proving to be as ridiculous as it should be (each commander being in overall command for twenty-four hours).

It's really sad that some countries don't have access to this app.

I live in France and I can't download it. I understand that the reason for that is that there is no available translation, but I think that many French (replace French by any non English speaking country) readers would love to get the app even in English.

It's really sad that some countries don't have access to this app.

I live in France and I can't download it. I understand that the reason for that is that there is no available translation, but I think that many French (replace French by any non English speaking country) readers would love to get the app even in English.

I hope that's not the reason. I'm American, I'd prefer it in English.

I hope that's not the reason. I'm American, I'd prefer it in English.

ffs zillion apps are available in English only so if translations is the problem then that is the daftest thing ever. Release the thing in English worldwide.

I'm wrong actually.

According to Ran's comments on another thread, it seems that the availability depends on the rights holders for the books in each country.

Archived