TWOW. Tyrion Chapter from ASOIAF App (Spoilers)

Maybe George will post it on his website soon :/ I couldn't download the update because the wifi in the building I was in had the iTunes App Store blocked. I felt horribly disconnected for 2 whole hours until I go home and was able to get it. I can't imagine how people feel if they happen to live in a country that doesn't have access to it.

Since it's free, and since most of the world outside of the US has no access to this app, can anybody give a run-down on the chapter contents?

Sure. I hope it's allowed, I'd hate to type this up for nothing. But here it goes:

EDIT: Sorry Ran, just saw your post. If a detailed summary is in violation too, then I apologize. You can just delete it...preferably without the suspension :)

Starts with Tyrion listening to the battle outside, the "music of slaughter" he calls it. The Iron Born have blocked off the river with a fire ship, trapping the slavers. Tyrion says as a Westerman he knows full well how savage they can be. The slavers are being slaughtered.

Tyrion reflects on his first battle, especially the time before it that he spent with Shae. She's on his mind a lot this chapter. Even though this is his third battle, he is terrified. He thinks about all of his crimes, questioning why he even thinks he deserves to live. Lots of self-loathing going on here. Penny, already in her armor, approaches him and offers to help him don his. Tyrion wants some wine. As he's waxing (morbidly) poetic about his first battle, Penny kisses him all of a sudden. He's left speechless, not wanting to hurt her by making it clear he's not interested.

Eventually he starts talking about all the slaughter going on outside, scaring her. She questions why he makes japes about it all, then she calls him brave. This reminds him of Shae calling him "her giant of Lannister", which makes him (irrationally) think Penny is mocking him. He gets very angry, feeling a momentary impulse to slap her. The memory of killing Shae overwhelms him, and he imagines what he would do to Penny right now if he had a chain, a crossbow or any kind of weapon.....it's a very disturbing moment, which makes one question Tyrion's mental state. I honestly thought he was coming out of his funk, but now I'm not so sure.

The sound of shouts snaps him out of it. The dragons have come. Rhaegal is circling the bay where the naval battle is happening, but not attacking anyone apparently. Viserion is closer, snapping the corpses being thrown by the large trebuchets out of the air and eating them. One of them he sets on fire and drops, landing on some Yunkish horsemen, burning and scattering them. Viserion retreats back to his lair in Meereen, while Rhaegal stays out over the bay. Tyrion smells urine and notices Inkpots has pissed himself.

A Yunkish officer representing [some slaver with a weird name] rides up, demanding the Second Sons go fight the Iron Born that are trying to land on the shore. Inkpots says Brown Ben is off meeting with [some other slaver with a weird name] and they can't do anything until he gets back. The officer rides off, outraged at this disobedience. The Yunkish command structure is a complete mess. They were rotating who was Supreme Commander on a daily basis, and now during the battle several of them are trying to claim that title, each trying to do their own thing.

Jorah walks up and says they are on the wrong side, they should switch before Dany returns. He's absolutely certain she will. He says they should save the hostages, and he swears to tell Dany that the Second Sons were playing the Yunkish the entire time, that they were always on her side. Brown Ben returns with news. Ser Barristan is attacking the trebuchets with his forces, [the slaver with a weird name he met] wants the Second Sons to defend one of them. Everyone in the tent thinks the idea is stupid. Their company is made up of mounted men, they aren't suited to hold a fixed position.

Another messenger, with a depraved image carved on his breastplate that Tyrion admires, representing [a third slaver with a weird name] shows up with different orders. The Unsullied are advancing on a trebuchet now too, Bloodbeard's company and two Ghiscari legions stand against them. The messenger wants the Second Sons to sweep around and attack the Unsullied in the rear. The messenger informs them that the Tattered Prince and his company of Windblown have switched sides...which makes Brown Ben scratch his chin in contemplation.

The messenger recognizes Tyrion as an escaped slave and demands he be turned over. Jorah stabs him through the throat with his long sword in response, sending him sprawling into the cyvasse board. The pieces fly everywhere, a white dragon with veins of Yunkish blood seeped in its grooves lands right at Tyrion's feet. As he picks it up, Brown Ben announces that they have been the Queen's men all along. Tyrion says he wants the dead man's gaudy breastplate, and the chapter ends.

The Yunkish seem to be doomed. They don't seem to have a chance: ironborn disembarking, dragons and Barristan creating havoc, trebuchets going down, the Unsullied forming up, the Windblown and now the Second Sons turning their cloaks...

I think they'll be utterly defeated but we all know Martin likes twists so I expect the Volantene to appear shortly after the Yunkai have been defeated. I think the big battle will be between the remnants of the Meerenese army and the Volantene.

One more notice: reposting copyright protected material from the app is not permitted, and those who attempt to do so will be suspended from the forum.

I didn't knew that, so I'm sorry for my post (thank you for deleting and not suspending =) but I can honestly say that I didn't copied it from the app, because I don't have access to it. I'm from Brazil and it is not available to download here. But I will respect the rules.

Eventually he starts talking about all the slaughter going on outside, scaring her. She questions why he makes japes about it all, then she calls him brave. This reminds him of Shae calling him "her giant of Lannister", which makes him (irrationally) think Penny is mocking him. He gets very angry, feeling a momentary impulse to slap her. The memory of killing Shae overwhelms him, and he imagines what he would do to Penny right now if he had a chain, a crossbow or any kind of weapon.....it's a very disturbing moment, which makes one question Tyrion's mental state. I honestly thought he was coming out of his funk, but now I'm not so sure.

I actually see this as a positive sign for Tyrion. He killed Shae in a black, murderous rage, an out-of-control feeling that I suspect he never really thought he'd come to. Ever since then he's been trying to dull his senses so that doesn't happen again. When he decided earlier in the chapter that he did want to live, along with that is coming to terms with that black rage.

I actually see this as a positive sign for Tyrion. He killed Shae in a black, murderous rage, an out-of-control feeling that I suspect he never really thought he'd come to. Ever since then he's been trying to dull his senses so that doesn't happen again. When he decided earlier in the chapter that he did want to live, along with that is coming to terms with that black rage.

I can't see how his desire to harm the very childlike Penny is a positive sign for his coming to terms with what he did. That particular moment read like he was slipping into another black, murderous rage. Well, at least he didn't go through with it this time....so I guess that's positive, heh :drunk:

The Yunkish seem to be doomed. They don't seem to have a chance: ironborn disembarking, dragons and Barristan making havoc, trebuchets going down, the Unsullied forming up, the Windblown and now the Second Sons turning their cloaks...

I think they'll be utterly defeated but we all know Martin likes twists so I expect the Volantene to appear shortly after the Yunkai have been defeated. I think the big battle will be between the remnants of the Meerenese army and the Volantene.

The Volantene fleet is crewed by slaves though, if I'm not mistaken. That's probably gonna bite them in the ass big time. I'd be shocked if they didn't turn on their masters. So I'm not expecting much of a battle there myself.

The Volantene's alone are bringing like 300-500 ships. Add to that what the Iron Born brought, plus however many Vic captures from the slaving coalition he's currently laying a beat down on, and Dany could have a huge fleet waiting for her by the time she gets back.

If there's a twist waiting, I'd guess it would be that this newly gained fleet get's destroyed somehow (infighting? Vic's attempt at "courtship" turns violent?) and Dany has to march overland anyway, after all that struggle.

i find the Cyvasse white dragon passage as another piece of foreshadowing that Tyrion will ride Viserion.

i understand the wierwood link (and there is something there probably), it just doesn´t trump all the other hints that point towards tyrion riding Viserion

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/102076-danys-dragonriders-tpatq-spoilers-with-the-improved-op/

Is anybody (meaning the characters around Mereen) aware of the intentions of the IronBorn?

I would feel as though the Ironborn aren't even sure of their intentions. They know they're here to save a hot chick with bright blond hair, but other than that they can't be too aware of who's on whose side, can they?

Then will all these sellsword companies switching...I guess I just don't want Barristan to accidentally kill Jorah or something like that.

i find the Cyvasse white dragon passage as another piece of foreshadowing that Tyrion will ride Viserion.

i understand the wierwood link (and there is something there probably), it just doesn´t trump all the other hints that point towards tyrion riding Viserion

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/102076-danys-dragonriders-tpatq-spoilers-with-the-improved-op/

I find it odd that no one is considering the foreshadowing here could be of another nature. that being, that the death of Viserion is caused by Tyrion. Afterall a bloody cyvasse piece falling at his feet could very well be indicative of a dragon's death having been caused by the one person who has been studying dragons all his life and has read the book that explains how to kill a dragon. just some food for thought.

I find it odd that no one is considering the foreshadowing here could be of another nature. that being, that the death of Viserion is caused by Tyrion. Afterall a bloody cyvasse piece falling at his feet could very well be indicative of a dragon's death having been caused by the one person who has been studying dragons all his life and has read the book that explains how to kill a dragon. just some food for thought.

I'm the most innocent/ignorant reader. So, in 3 reads of the series not once has it crossed my mind that one if not all the dragons might die. Like, subconsciously I'm thinking "Why would someone write a series begin without dragons, then have 3 dragons, then have a dragon die?" So it has never cross my mind that a dragon could die but I really appreciate this comment, because it further helps me be a more cognitive reader.

To comment on your idea, it's very interesting and I think your connections make sense, I just hope you're wrong.

well if the dragon was destroyed, then fine.. but since its just blood... And there is a popular theory that Viserion will be wounded in the battle.. .

plus one dragon dying before ever reaching westores sounds a bit disappointing

As soon as the Ironborn start attacking the slavers both on land & sea, breaking the siege, I think their intentions will be clear to all involved. The impression given is that the slavers of Essos are actually a lot wealthier than lords in Westeros. The ironborn will have a blast paying the iron price and looting the corpses of the ostentation Yunkai'i. Even their slaves wear gold collars, for example The efficacy of the dragonhorn is the wild card in all this, however

The evidence of there being a Targ in the North falls at his feet (hence the weirwood-esque dragon)?

Anyway, I don't think that bit of symbolism means Tyrion will ride a dragon either.

I like "weirwood-esque dragon". And the cyvasse pieces being human dragons.

Also I too think all three real dragons will die.

well if the dragon was destroyed, then fine.. but since its just blood... And there is a popular theory that Viserion will be wounded in the battle.. .

plus one dragon dying before ever reaching westores sounds a bit disappointing

based on what GRRm was saying about making the end of the books into a movie, he said 'you know the dragons will get really big and we will need a bigger budget"

I think that means the 3 dragons will live at least until the last couple hundred pages of the books. I seriously doubt one will die in Mereen.

Haven't read the chapter so far, but I think Penny is important to the story because she and her innocence appeal to the better side of Tyrion. Maybe she will prevent him from doing something "really terrible" later in the story. There's a reason why Martin included her in Tyrion's storyline I think.

Archived