Books of the Fallen: Malazan thread

Michael Seswatha Jordan

Enjoyed Stoneweilder, but it was ICE's weakest book so far. And I prefer Erikson to ICE. But that being said, both are very good reads. Getting ready to start DoD.

I started DoD last night, but I read OST after Stonewielder just because I heard it didn't really matter.

But I think I liked Stonewielder more than you did. My ICE order so far is OST > Stonewielder > NoK > RotCG (other than the Nait thread which is ICE's best).

Well, almost done with Deadhouse Gates and I think I'm going to take a break from Malazan for a while. I just feel like I'm forcing myself to read this and am just slogging through and am not really intrigued enough to keep at it. I'll probably come back and tackle Memories of Ice in a month or so and see if there's anything there that keeps me interested. Malazan may just not be for me though...

One thing that REALLY bothers me is the switching of POV mid chapter. Erickson will have a POV of one character, they'll do something, meet someone, then have a conversation with another person and at the end of that conversation I'm all of a sudden following and in the head of the other character. I HATE this in writing and it's really jarring. I wish authors would not do this.

Well, almost done with Deadhouse Gates and I think I'm going to take a break from Malazan for a while. I just feel like I'm forcing myself to read this and am just slogging through and am not really intrigued enough to keep at it. I'll probably come back and tackle Memories of Ice in a month or so and see if there's anything there that keeps me interested. Malazan may just not be for me though...

One thing that REALLY bothers me is the switching of POV mid chapter. Erickson will have a POV of one character, they'll do something, meet someone, then have a conversation with another person and at the end of that conversation I'm all of a sudden following and in the head of the other character. I HATE this in writing and it's really jarring. I wish authors would not do this.

To be fair, the chapters are very long. He could have just made like 75 chapters instead, and had each chapter focus on one POV or thread. It may have seemed less jarring then. That actually would make it similar to ASoIaF, so I wonder if you are being caught up more by chapter breaks than actual content.

I am sure Erikson has thematic reasons for his long chapters and I occasionally catch them, but often don't.

I don't know why he makes most of his chapters that long, but there's a reason for The Bonehunters, chapter 7, which is the longest in the series I think.

From the Tor reread Q&A:

I remember thinking, as I rolled into Chapter Seven, how delicious it was going to be writing it -- in not letting go, not offering up any breaks, any breathers, not for the characters and not for the readers. I imagined, somewhat evilly, forcing readers to stay awake late into the night, exhausted in their crawl through that chapter, and how that exhaustion would perfectly reflect what the characters were going through.

The ending of Deadhouse Gates is great, it got me more into the series. Memories of Ice is one of my favorite books ever, and my favorite from the first half of the series.

To be fair, the chapters are very long. He could have just made like 75 chapters instead, and had each chapter focus on one POV or thread. It may have seemed less jarring then. That actually would make it similar to ASoIaF, so I wonder if you are being caught up more by chapter breaks than actual content.

I am sure Erikson has thematic reasons for his long chapters and I occasionally catch them, but often don't.

It's not the long chapters that bothers me, or the obvious space left when changing POV mid chapter (though I hate his tendency to not let you know which POV you're in until 3 paragraphs in, which almost forces a re-read of some sections). What I'm talking about is a section of the book where you're in one characters head and see their thoughts, they have a page long conversation with someone else, then after the conversation I'm suddenly in the head of the other character. It's bad writing and jarring and he's done it more than a half dozen times in two books.

For instance, you're in the head of Kalam as he's looking across the ocean, Pearl is behind him, Kalam is stabbed, Pearl has a conversation w/ him and pushes him over the side, then all of a sudden we're in Pearl's POV as he watches Kalam splash into the water. This doesn't work when you write 98% of the rest of the book in 3rd person, single POV narrative.

New to Pat's Fantasy Hotlist?

Actually, I've been reading his reviews for some now and I thought it was way too much for a book that is, according to the review, a terrible conclusion to the entire Malazan series. That deserves a special one time only - 1/10.

Actually, I've been reading his reviews for some now and I thought it was way too much for a book that is, according to the review, a terrible conclusion to the entire Malazan series. That deserves a special one time only - 1/10.

From what I'm reading, it just confirms my initial dislike for the ICE/SE split narrative structure. I liked the way TCG ended things. I stopped reading ICE after RotCG but I do have Stonewielder on my shelf, information like this makes me think I may not get around to reading the others.

It's perfectly in line with other Esslemont books: no one agrees which are the good/better ones.

I've seen reactions across forums and there are people who thought Assail was good and those who thought it was bad. And those who thought it's the worst, and those that it's the best.

No one seems to agree on anything. There are those who say Orb, Sceptre Throne is the very best and that Blood and Bone is utter trash, and those who say the exact opposite. If you look at Goodreads Assail is the best rated among all the books (but I guess there's bias since it's recent).

The only minumum consensus seems to be that Stonewielder is among the best, but even that is often contested.

As an example: both forum dwellers Pat and Larry reviewed Assail. Pat gives it 6, Larry also says it's the worst in the series. But take Blood and Bone and Pat again gives it again a 6, yet Larry says it's the best in the series.

I guess we wait for Werthead to join the fun. He gave 4 and half stars to all the latest books, so we'll see what Assail gets.

But in general? I guess you can only read the books yourself because othewise EVERYONE disagrees when it comes to Esslemont.

Archived