Wow, I Never Noticed That v.4

coil

V. 3 was recently closed, hence the fourth thread.

Here we discuss whatever we pick on rereads, it doesn't have to be mindbreaking.

Previous editions

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/79116-wow-i-never-noticed-that/

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/80298-wow-i-never-noticed-that-v2/?hl=%20never%20%20noticed

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/100351-wow-i-never-noticed-that-v3-eyes-wide-shut-edition/

Last posts were about Lady Blizzardborn noticing a strange pattern and Rooseman validating the opinion.

I also advise to check Mrs_Darcy's closing post.

In Cats chapter before the RW, she (kind of) foreshadows whats to come in her talk with Dacey Mormont:

'This is an evil rain,' she said instead. 'We have suffered much, and there is more peril and more grief ahead. We need to face it boldly, with horns blowing and banners flying bravely. But this rain beats us down.'

And as we all know, the song signalling the attack at the RW is the Rains of Castamere.

When Lady Catelyn treats with Lord Walder he tells her the following about the tourney of the Hand:

Since Jory won his tilt against a Frey and Ser Hosteen lost to Loras Tyrell, Jory must have tilted against either Ser Danwell or Ser Perwyn.

Jory's armor is compared to that of Lothar Brune, who was a hedge knight at that time, so Walder Frey probably thought Jory was one as well.

It's not the same tournament, the quote you provided mentions Jon Arryn alive and Hand.

from Arya VII - CoK - Jaqen to Arya
"A Girl Says Nothing," a voice whispered close behind her ear. "A girl keeps her lips closed, no one hears, and friends may talk i secret. Yes?"

then in aDwD in Arya I when she is in a tavern as a beggar.
"they were talking in low voices so on one could hear, but she was no one, so she heard nigh on every word" (paraphrasing)

considering both these quotes, when Jaqen told her that: "no one hears" he is actually warning Arya that if she tells anyone about who he truly is, he will find out :)

I always thought that Ned named Jon Snow after Jon Arryn, but it could be that he was named by Rhaegar in honor of his best friend Jon Connington.

No, Jon was named for Jon Arryn by Eddard, just like Robb was named for King Robert.

I was oblivious to Oberyn's beauty and amazingness on my first read.

I also did not understand the significance of the hairnet Dontos gave Sansa for the Purple Wedding.

And (I feel so dumb looking back on this) I had absolutely no idea that Abel and the 6 washerwomen were Mance and his wilding women. I seriously remember thinking "hmm, who and why are these random people trying to save Jeyne/ fake Arya? And where is Mance! He was trying to save Arya wasn't he?" :dunce: :shocked:

The accusations against Margaery were based on Pycelle providing her with moon tea:

"Why does Margaery send for you?"

"She desires . . . she . . . she . . ."

"Say it!"

He cringed. "Moon tea," he whispered. "Moon tea, for . . ."

"I know what moon tea is for." There it is.

The 'for' could be that he was going to say WHO it was for, not WHAT it was for. I know many people already think that the tea was for someone else, however I hadn't noticed that the text actually backs it up.

I just realized the parallels of the 2 MoS

• Vary's has a great mistrust of magic and human experimentation due to his torture as a child and loss of manhood.
  • Qyburn running all kinds of sick experiments (probably involving dark magic)

Seriously just thought about that a few minutes ago.

And (I feel so dumb looking back on this) I had absolutely no idea that Abel and the 6 washerwomen were Mance and his wilding women. I seriously remember thinking "hmm, who and why are these random people trying to save Jeyne/ fake Arya? And where is Mance! He was trying to save Arya wasn't he?" :dunce: :shocked:

:agree: ME EITHER!!! I didn't realize it until my first re-read and I felt like a fool.

Cersei's gown doesn't fit anymore so she had the washerwoman beaten for "shrinking it".

It wasn't until the third or so reading where I was, "Oh right, she's on the All Arbor Gold Diet". Then I thought, "What. A. Bitch."

Well nevermind then, please excuse me ladies and gentlemen, where is the nearest exit? I shall be departing.

Aw, don't go! :frown5: We all miss things, that's why these threads exist. And there are a lot of people who think Jon Con will think that Jon Snow/Targaryen was named for him.

Archived