Wow, I Never Noticed That v.4

coil

I also don't believe that what Bran ate contained any form of Jojen. Weirwood sap is blood red, and it would make far more sense for that to be what weds Bran to the trees, than some weird method of extracting blood from a human donor. If he's still alive and well then it wasn't a blood sacrifice in the way the text means it (as in killing someone) and I think Bran would notice if Jojen were suddenly bandaged and treated for a wound from where they let his blood. I also can't see Meera allowing it, even if Jojen were willing.

I think Jojen is simply pining away because he realizes he's never going to see home again - there is no possible way for him to get back there, unless Bloodraven can form a stretcher of ravens that can carry him thousands of miles.

As for other things I missed - if I listed all the stuff that completely went over my head until I joined this forum, we'd be well into v. 5 of this.

In my aCoK reread, I've just realized that Ygritte tells Jon the story of Bael the Bard, in which he hides with Lord Stark's daughter in the crypts of Winterfell, BEFORE we learn that Bran and Rickon are alive and hidden in the same place. I wonder how many first readers guessed that when reading Jon's chapter ;)

The first time Catelyn Stark takes note of Jared Frey, he confirms to her, what she herself and most readers think is a big lie. (That Walder Frey wanted to defend his liege lord and just was too late instead of just sitting on the fence which would have been his usual modus operandi)

“To Riverrun,” Catelyn confirmed. She saw no reason to deny it. “Where I might have expected to find you, my lord. You are still my father’s bannerman, are you not?” “Heh,” said Lord Walder, a noise halfway between a laugh and a grunt. “I called my swords, yes I did, here they are, you saw them on the walls. It was my intent to march as soon as all my strength was assembled. Well, to send my sons. I am well past marching myself, Lady Catelyn.” He looked around for likely confirmation and pointed to a tall, stooped man of fifty years. “Tell her, Jared. Tell her that was my intent.” “It was, my lady,” said Ser Jared Frey, one of his sons by his second wife. “On my honor.”

On a reread I found it odd, that he specifically asked his son Jared for his confirmation, since this conversation took place in the great hall of the east castle, where he is surrounded by most of his relatives, as this passage half a page before the last passage suggests.

Her father had once said of Walder Frey that he was the only lord in the Seven Kingdoms who could field an army out of his breeches. When the Lord of the Crossing welcomed Catelyn in the great hall of the east castle, surrounded by twenty living sons (minus Ser Perwyn, who would have made twenty-one), thirty-six grandsons, nineteen great-grandsons, and numerous daughters, granddaughters, bastards, and grandbastards, she understood just what he had meant.

The next time Jared Frey does anything noteworthy, he is in White Harbour and tells Davos the Frey version of the Red Wedding.

One of the Freys stepped forward, a knight long and lean of limb, clean-shaved but for a grey mustache as thin as a Myrish stiletto. “The Red Wedding was the Young Wolf’s work. He changed into a beast before our eyes and tore out the throat of my cousin Jinglebell, a harmless simpleton. He would have slain my lord father too, if Ser Wendel had not put himself in the way.” Lord Wyman blinked back tears. “Wendel was always a brave boy. I was not surprised to learn he died a hero.” The enormity of the lie made Davos gasp. “Is it your claim that Robb Stark killed Wendel Manderly?” he asked the Frey. “And many more. Mine own son Tytos was amongst them, and my daughter’s husband. When Stark changed into a wolf, his northmen did the same. The mark of the beast was on them all. Wargs birth other wargs with a bite, it is well-known. It was all my brothers and I could do to put them down before they slew us all."

The man was smirking as he told the tale. Davos wanted to peel his lips off with a knife. “Ser, may I have your name?” “Ser Jared, of House Frey.“Jared of House Frey, I name you liar."

I never really understood, why the Freys decided to send Jared to White Harbour. They send Symond (sp?) Frey to White Harbour, since he was the spymaster and they were not sure, if Lord Manderly really wanted to bend the knee to the Iron Throne. Rhaegar Frey as an envoy makes sense, too, since he was supposed to marry Wynafryd Manderly and given her age at that time (nineteen), this marriage probably would have taken place not long afterwards. They send Hosteen and Aenys Frey with the Boltons, since Hosteen is the strongest fighter and Aenys seems like a good tactician, but I never read something, that Jared Frey was known for in the twins.

From Merrett Frey we know, that you needed some form of distinction in the Freys, else they were likely to forget you.

What if Jared Frey was the biggest liar in the Twins?

On a side note: I always found it funny, that the first time he (most likely) lies Jared evokes his honor and the second time he does so, Ser Davos calls him a liar and says "what does a Frey know of honour?"

The thing I most feel bad for missing is the "Food Code" Martin implemented, where mentions of peaches signify innocence/being naive, boars change of power, Arbor Gold deception etc.

There are lots of things I found odd but couldn't figure them all out - as in, I thought that Tywin was poisoned from the way his body rotted but I thought Shae poisoned him somehow and that she wanted to say that to Tyrion as he was strangling her.

The thing I most feel bad for missing is the "Food Code" Martin implemented, where mentions of peaches signify innocence/being naive, boars change of power, Arbor Gold deception etc. There are lots of things I found odd but couldn't figure them all out - as in, I thought that Tywin was poisoned from the way his body rotted but I thought Shae poisoned him somehow and that she wanted to say that to Tyrion as he was strangling her.

Woah! woah! STOP. my mind has been blown

*facepalm* never even occured to me

HouseHarrison

Theon has missing time (brought on by insanity) in ADWD which is clearly when he was committing the "ghost of winterfell" murders.

As the garrison broke it's fast on stale bread fried in bacon grease (the lords and knights ate the bacon), the talk along the benches was of >little but the corpse. "Stannis has friends inside the castle." Theon heard one serjeant mutter. He was an old Tallheart man, three trees sewn on his ragged surcoat. The watch had just changed. Men were coming in from the cold, stomping their feet to knock the snow off their boots and breeches as the midday meal was served-blood sausage, leeks, and brown bread still warm from the oven.

Breakfast right to lunch in the same paragraph!

The first time Catelyn Stark takes note of Jared Frey, he confirms to her, what she herself and most readers think is a big lie. (That Walder Frey wanted to defend his liege lord and just was too late instead of just sitting on the fence which would have been his usual modus operandi)

On a reread I found it odd, that he specifically asked his son Jared for his confirmation, since this conversation took place in the great hall of the east castle, where he is surrounded by most of his relatives, as this passage half a page before the last passage suggests.

The next time Jared Frey does anything noteworthy, he is in White Harbour and tells Davos the Frey version of the Red Wedding.

I never really understood, why the Freys decided to send Jared to White Harbour. They send Symond (sp?) Frey to White Harbour, since he was the spymaster and they were not sure, if Lord Manderly really wanted to bend the knee to the Iron Throne. Rhaegar Frey as an envoy makes sense, too, since he was supposed to marry Wynafryd Manderly and given her age at that time (nineteen), this marriage probably would have taken place not long afterwards. They send Hosteen and Aenys Frey with the Boltons, since Hosteen is the strongest fighter and Aenys seems like a good tactician, but I never read something, that Jared Frey was known for in the twins.

From Merrett Frey we know, that you needed some form of distinction in the Freys, else they were likely to forget you.

What if Jared Frey was the biggest liar in the Twins?

On a side note: I always found it funny, that the first time he (most likely) lies Jared evokes his honor and the second time he does so, Ser Davos calls him a liar and says "what does a Frey know of honour?"

Great picks that I would have never found... thanks!

Some wilding gave the Night's Watch a dildo as payment for being allowed through the Wall.

May it be the very much famed Tormund's member? >_>

I thought that Tywin was poisoned from the way his body rotted but I thought Shae poisoned him somehow and that she wanted to say that to Tyrion as he was strangling her.

I saw somewhere in the forums a theory that Tywin was poisoned by Oberyn, instead of Shae. For me, one of the most believable theories.

I have never noticed until recently that Sybell Spycer's mom was Maggy the Frog. Suddently the whole "love potion" theory makes sense, though I still doubt it.

Wasn't it grandmother? But yeah, i just discovered it recently as well.

I saw somewhere in the forums a theory that Tywin was poisoned by Oberyn, instead of Shae. For me, one of the most believable theories.

Yeah, I didn't make that clear - I believe now that Oberyn poisoned Tywin, that it far more believable than Shae doing it.

Rereading ACoK, I just noticed Arya gives Jaqen, Rorge and Biter an axe to escape the cage in the burning shed when Amory Lorch attacks. When her party returns to the scene, they find Yoren killed by an axe, and some of the victims of the battle mauled by a dog or wolf. Only now I realize it must have been either Rorge or Jaqen to kill Yoren, and Biter to have been at the corpses. And that this probably influenced Amory Lorch sparing their lives, and permitting them to join his company.

Oh that is awful. Poor Yoren. Makes so much sense though. It always niggled at the back of my mind as to how those three joined The Bloody Mummers.

Thank you for that.

Archived