Benioff, Weiss On Board for 2 More Years

Westeros

James Hibberd scores another exclusive, revealing that David Benioff and Dan Weiss have renewed their contracts with HBO, setting them on course to run the show through a prospective sixth season. As Hibberd puts it:

“Though HBO has not yet officially renewed the show for a fifth year, Thrones is the premium cable networkâs most-watched series (averaging 14.3 million viewers last season across all the networkâs platforms) and is second only to The Sopranos as its most popular show of all time. Recently the producers told EW they suspect Thrones will conclude after seven seasons.”

So, just to emphasize, a two year contract renewal is not a guarantee of a sixth season… but at this point it seems that, short of some catastrophe happening to HBO or the production, a sixth season is all but assured.

And then Weiss and Benioff will be up for contract renegotations again… and so, too, will a number of actors, we suspect, as six year option contracts are pretty normal in TV.

Visit the Site!

Ah so that is official now.

Noted a number of people picked up on the Facebook interview .... (where are all those other interviews? We saw everybody in some long shots, many who did not appear on the Facebook deal.)

Indeed D and D did say something about 7, but correct me if I am wrong, seems Dan qualified that with a "We are half way through", and Dave repeated that too.

I know that means nothing... still.....I would like to note it.

(So weird that HBO shimmy's around the green-light thing! Don't know what that's about.)

I am a big fan of Dave and Dan. No one agrees with all the changes they made, or their perspective on characters (Stannis) but they are as solid as GRRM is IMO. They are doing an incredible job at a pace that is freakish. I am big fans of their work and when GOT ends it will be good to see what else they will do. Probably a long vacation . .

IHey so I just was in my Ottoman history class. My professor was talking about how a former student is pitching a show to HBO about Mehmed the conquerer and Vlad Tepes (aka Vlad Dracula) and their rivalry in the fifteenth century. Sounds like it would actually make a good tv show but that's beside the point. This former student was asking him to be a historical advisor to the show if they get picked up. Don't worry I'll get to the point.

The student was saying that HBO is looking for new material because they are anticipating their two most popular shows Trublood (last season) and Game of Thrones ending in the next 18 months. According to my professor HBO said that the author, GRRM, has run out of material and won't have anything new for them and they won't release shows if there is no book to base it on.

Now this isn't the best source and it may just be a precaution, but I'm worried that we may not finish the tv run and Winds of Winter may be further than we feared.

IHey so I just was in my Ottoman history class. My professor was talking about how a former student is pitching a show to HBO about Mehmed the conquerer and Vlad Tepes (aka Vlad Dracula) and their rivalry in the fifteenth century. Sounds like it would actually make a good tv show but that's beside the point. This former student was asking him to be a historical advisor to the show if they get picked up. Don't worry I'll get to the point.

The student was saying that HBO is looking for new material because they are anticipating their two most popular shows Trublood (last season) and Game of Thrones ending in the next 18 months. According to my professor HBO said that the author, GRRM, has run out of material and won't have anything new for them and they won't release shows if there is no book to base it on.

Now this isn't the best source and it may just be a precaution, but I'm worried that we may not finish the tv run and Winds of Winter may be further than we feared.

Rest assured, in the unfortunate event that Martin cannot keep up with the show it will continue nonetheless. They have Martin's notes and outlines and will invented the final 2 or 3 seasons from those.

No way they'll end the show without a resolution. HBO will give us an ending (be it season 7 or 8) with or without GRRM. Although if GRRM truly has nothing for them but a rough outline, then I would expect no more than 7 seasons.

No way they'll end the show without a resolution. HBO will give us an ending (be it season 7 or 8) with or without GRRM. Although if GRRM truly has nothing for them but a rough outline, then I would expect no more than 7 seasons.

Exactly. Which is why Dan and David had that big session with GRRM last year, and continue to work with him to sort out the ultimate directions. I thought it was good that their interview made it perfectly clear that they don't want the show to just linger on and wander indefinitely. Therefore they need to know the end point(s) so that they can lay the groundwork for them in previous seasons. So even though GRRM might decide to take us on all sorts of side roads and detours while he finalises things (however many books it takes!), it's clear that D & D are going to cut to the chase and give us the essential story arcs and endings for the core characters as envisaged by GRRM.

Which means that Season 5 could be 'very interesting' in terms of which book characters appear or are cut, because D &D are not going to waste time or resources on secondary characters (no matter how interesting they are to the book fans) if those characters are not essential to the final story developments, or if a couple of them can be combined into a single subsidiary arc.

Archived