Can anyone help me like Jaime?

Iron Hawk

Really the only thing holding me back from liking Jaime is that he pushed Bran out of the tower. He tried to kill an innocent child. When that didn't work, he sent an assassin. This is something I can't forgive.

He was in shock and fear and especially did not know it was Bran. He had no other chance in this moment and thought of his own children, what might become of them if all this comes out. Robert would have beaten them to death, Cersei lost her throne, he his life, Tywin his power.....

Spoiler if you haven't read post Joffrey's marriage

Jaime never sent the assassin. It was Joffrey.

Meh, don't worry too much about it. You'll like him or you won't, but meantime you can enjoy the dramatic tension of a truly well writen character.

Btw it was confirmed in Clash that Jaime never sent the assassin. Catelyn questioned him about it before letting him go and Jaime claimed that Robert won the dagger when betting against him in a joust (thus validating Tyrion who told exactly the same story when Cat kidnapped him). He also pointed out the obvious - that it would take a special kind of idiot to arm a catspaw with such a recognizable weapon and that he has no reason to lie about assassination atempt after admitting to throwing Bran in the first place.

If it makes liking Jaime easier, then he also claimed he would never use a catspaw to do his dirty work for him. ;)

By this point in the series I have found myself really liking Jaime. I really, "want" to like him, but I just can't quite do it.

First there is the incestuous relationship he has. That is something touchy. I get the idea that he really really loves his sister, and that is's not promiscuity. I still don't believe that that makes the incest okay, but I understand that it is more about love than about exploring new places to put you junk. I won't say that I'll overlook this, but I will say that I can like Jaime anyways.

Really the only thing holding me back from liking Jaime is that he pushed Bran out of the tower. He tried to kill an innocent child. When that didn't work, he sent an assassin. This is something I can't forgive.

Anyways, I have seen a change, or, I have seen Jaime's true character. Now I do want to like him, but the only thing holding me back from liking him is that he tried to kill a kid. Can anyone ay anything that might make me change my mind about him?

I think you will like him more when you finish the books ;) I had not liked him too, but finally he became my favourite character.

Tbh I didn't come to like Jaime even after Feast. You get to know all his inner problems and stuff, but I still don't find it emotional enough for me to like him. There's no justification for what he did to Bran.

I could forgive him for killing Rossart & Aerys. He saved the whole King's Landing there. But I can't forgive him for attempting to kill a child for a secret. A secret is not a lie; Bran was not to blame for anything, and wasn't even on his teens. If their kids were in peril after that, it's no more than the twins' fault for having sex in just about every corner they're left alone at. Someday that would have happened anyway.

From the end of Feast:

I loved it when he gave Cersei no fucks, though! :P

Tbh I didn't come to like Jaime even after Feast. You get to know all his inner problems and stuff, but I still don't find it emotional enough for me to like him. There's no justification for what he did to Bran.

I could forgive him for killing Rossart & Aerys. He saved the whole King's Landing there. But I can't forgive him for attempting to kill a child for a secret. A secret is not a lie; Bran was not to blame for anything, and wasn't even on his teens. If their kids were in peril after that, it's no more than the twins' fault for having sex in just about every corner they're left alone at. Someday that would have happened anyway.

From the end of Feast:

He didn't kill Bran for a secret. he silenced him so all his children and his love and he himself are spared. You can call that selfish or a sense of family..

Kill one to save 4 and yourself and probably thousands more from a likely war.. seems like a scenario we had before.

The life of a child is the same value as the life of a grown up, or are persons losing their value the older they get ?

From the end of Feast:

if protecting my family meant throwing a kid out a window... he would go flying

Yeah that's pretty much it. Consider Westeros' laws on incest. Any children created from it are considered abominations to be killed, and it's pretty likely anyone caught doing it is killed too. If one peep, even from a child, got out about him and his sister, then they'd all be screwed. I imagine most people, like SnowOther up there, would kill the golly out a kid if it meant their family. The main arguable thing about it is whether he had to really try and kill Bran. As it was noted in-universe, by Cersei, they could've just scared him into silence. Though a big thing with Jaime is he's a bit straight-forward for thinking up ways to explicitly avoid the violent way out. So basically that whole deal with Bran was he acted quickly and had a thought process of

This kid knows a secret that could get us killed > So he has to die.

He didn't kill Bran for a secret. he silenced him so all his children and his love and he himself are spared. You can call that selfish or a sense of family..

Kill one to save 4 and yourself and probably thousands more from a likely war.. seems like a scenario we had before.

The life of a child is the same value as the life of a grown up, or are persons losing their value the older they get ?

Yeah, well, I suppose Jaime might get a bit less flak if he wasn't himself at fault by doing naughty in Winterfell of all places. Once Bran was already dangling from the window though... I'm really not sure what else he could do. Scaring him into silence would never work (note how Cersei only comes out with it once it seems like Bran might survive). I don't know what I would have done in similar situation and that thought is rather troublesome. :/

Yeah, well, I suppose Jaime might get a bit less flak if he wasn't himself at fault by doing naughty in Winterfell of all places. Once Bran was already dangling from the window though... I'm really not sure what else he could do. Scaring him into silence would never work (note how Cersei only comes out with it once it seems like Bran might survive). I don't know what I would have done in similar situation and that thought is rather troublesome. :/

I think Cersei was naive in this.. You can't really scare a kid into silence especially when you are prominence.. sooner or later it would have come out. And honestly, if it was any other kid than fan favorite Bran, nobody would care as much. Or if it was an adult.

One the other hand.. We could thank Jaime for doing it, because it triggered the whole story arc of Bran. And unlocked his abilities. Just like we kinda should thank for the maiming of Jaime, as it changed him.. though he would have changed anyway even with two hands.

I think Cersei was naive in this.. You can't really scare a kid into silence especially when you are prominence.. sooner or later it would have come out. And honestly, if it was any other kid than fan favorite Bran, nobody would care as much. Or if it was an adult.

One the other hand.. We could thank Jaime for doing it, because it triggered the whole story arc of Bran. And unlocked his abilities. Just like we kinda should thank for the maiming of Jaime, as it changed him.. though he would have changed anyway even with two hands.

Cersei's being rather inconsistent here: When Bran's at the window she freaks out worse than Jaime and only discovers a concience when it turns out Bran is still alive and might yet wake up and talk, at which point she comes out with the implausible alternative scenarios to exenorate herself in her own eyes. Kind of sad, really.

Yeah, Bran's fall and Jaime's choppity-chop turn out for the best, but it makes a rather lousy excuse for the perpetrators in either case. It's not like they were planning on it. :P

Cersei's being rather inconsistent here: When Bran's at the window she freaks out worse than Jaime and only discovers a concience when it turns out Bran is still alive and might yet wake up and talk, at which point she comes out with the implausible alternative scenarios to exenorate herself in her own eyes. Kind of sad, really.

Yeah, Bran's fall and Jaime's choppity-chop turn out for the best, but it makes a rather lousy excuse for the perpetrators in either case. It's not like they were planning on it. :P

judge : Mr. Lannister, you stand accused for crippling this young boy. Your defense ?

Jaime : But only trough that, I unlocked his special ability! He should thank me, really. :dunno:

Bran : I am sorry, Mr. Lannister that I accused you and started a war, can you forgive me ? :crying:

Jaime : Aaaaahh you little rascal ;)

He was in shock and fear and especially did not know it was Bran. He had no other chance in this moment and thought of his own children, what might become of them if all this comes out. Robert would have beaten them to death, Cersei lost her throne, he his life, Tywin his power.....

(...)

This is 100 percent conjecture. Jaime neither thinks nor says he did it to save his children, as it happens, the one instance when he talks about the incident, he states he did it in order to hide the affair, thus the assessment that he killed Bran for a secret is absolutetly accurate.

(If Jaime displayed affection for his children, the assumption that this was the reason would've at least been a reasonable one, but as it happens, he is indifferent towards them)

This is 100 percent conjecture. Jaime neither thinks nor says he did it to save his children, as it happens, the one instance when he talks about the incident, he states he did it in order to hide the affair, thus the assessment that he killed Bran for a secret is absolutetly accurate.

(If Jaime displayed affection for his children, the assumption that this was the reason would've at least been a reasonable one, but as it happens, he is indifferent towards them)

Keep on reading. Then you will understand that I was right. I don't want to spoil you anything here, but there will come a moment when you realize that protecting his children was the cause. Jaime is not that cruel as to simply kill a child because of himself. He is quite selfless but can't say it. The whole Kingslaying scene will be in another light once you read the later Jaime chapters.

So yeah, from where you are in the story I agree with you, as you don't know yet, but if you read on, you will see that I was right. ;)

Keep on reading. Then you will understand that I was right. I don't want to spoil you anything here, but there will come a moment when you realize that protecting his children was the cause. Jaime is not that cruel as to simply kill a child because of himself. He is quite selfless but can't say it. The whole Kingslaying scene will be in another light once you read the later Jaime chapters.

So yeah, from where you are in the story I agree with you, as you don't know yet, but if you read on, you will see that I was right. ;)

Feel free to bring the relevant quote in spoiler tags.

And to be frank, the notion that Jaime pushed Bran to "save thousands from a war" is simply ludicrous beyond expression seeing how he was perfectly willing to go to war over "Cersei's cunt" and slept with her next to passed out Robert.

I agree that pushing Bran out the window is the worst thing Jamie did. Everything else is forgivable, and like he says, killing the Mad King was his greatest act. One thing that helps me get over him pushing Bran out the window is that he paid a karmic price for it. He took away Bran's legs, and his sword hand was taken away from him.

After his sword hand was removed by the Goat, he was 'born again' in the bath with Brienne.

Jaimie has been my favorite character since the first episode of Game of Thrones (hadn't read the books yet). I love how power does not appeal to him at all. He's an artist with a sword.

I think Jaime was naive in his gesture, he didn't even think of scaring Bran into silence or plot anything else, he just did it on the spur of the moment and he did it "for love". At that time he was a total different person, not thinking too much, a very superficial person.

I liked him anyway from the beginning because it was quite clear that he didn't kill the king for lust of power, he handed over the realm to Robert who repaid him by mocking and humiliating him continuosly.He was surely naive in thinking that Cersei loved him the same way he loved her.

In his way he always acted honestly, after his maiming and talks with Brienne he just grew more aware of life, more adult.

But I never saw any wickedness or cruelty in him, in his own way he always acted for the good..

I think Jaime was naive in his gesture, he didn't even think of scaring Bran into silence or plot anything else, he just did it on the spur of the moment and he did it "for love". At that time he was a total different person, not thinking too much, a very superficial person.

I liked him anyway from the beginning because it was quite clear that he didn't kill the king for lust of power, he handed over the realm to Robert who repaid him by mocking and humiliating him continuosly.He was surely naive in thinking that Cersei loved him the same way he loved her.

In his way he always acted honestly, after his maiming and talks with Brienne he just grew more aware of life, more adult.

But I never saw any wickedness or cruelty in him, in his own way he always acted for the good..

in how he was searching for Arya in order to kill or maim her because that's what Cersei gets off to?

Archived