Can anyone help me like Jaime?

Iron Hawk

I think Jaime was naive in his gesture, he didn't even think of scaring Bran into silence or plot anything else, he just did it on the spur of the moment and he did it "for love". At that time he was a total different person, not thinking too much, a very superficial person.

As I said above, I rather think Cersei was the one being naive (or purposefully obstinate) with the "scaring into silence" thing. Just how was that supposed to work? "Say, Bran, you better not go running to daddy or else..." what? If anything, it would have made Bran realise he just witnessed something his father absolutely must know about. It's not like they can keep watching him forever, the truth would have come out sooner or later. (And sooner rather than later).

Jaime is one of the if not the most complex character I've read about in a book in perhaps forever. At first I didn't like him, twincest-ewww and the whole Bran thing but oddly after reading his first chapter he became my favorite character. It's like GRRM pulled some kind of magic trick. Anyway, he's a splendidly written character, I think he represents real character development of a person over time and experience. When I was younger I made stupid mistakes (not like Jaime though haha) that I never would because I've evolved just like Jaime and I think that's one of the main reasons I like him so much along with the fact that once again, he's an extremely well-written character.

Well, i didn't mean the "real" good, but what was good in his eyes, that is loving and being loyal to Cersei. The fact that this brought about killing a boy etc. didn't matter for him at the time.

He was just being blind to anyone else's good but Cersei, quite sefish and superficial. But then he started to reconsider many things.

I said "in his own way" because it was not so clever and thoughtful to really think what was good or bad besides very simple things such as the love for Cersei or saving King's Landing from the mad King..

As I said above, I rather think Cersei was the one being naive (or purposefully obstinate) with the "scaring into silence" thing. Just how was that supposed to work? "Say, Bran, you better not go running to daddy or else..." what? If anything, it would have made Bran realise he just witnessed something his father absolutely must know about. It's not like they can keep watching him forever, the truth would have come out sooner or later. (And sooner rather than later).

I understand your point, I too don't know how it would work..but that because I am not Cersei! :wideeyed:

When she said that I had the feeling that she would surely be able to scare a boy and also a grown man into silence. She had power and friends and many ways to do it.

Of course Bran's life would soon become horrible, he could take an illness too, or being kidnapped.

I don't think much of Cersei's intelligence but I think she still could figure out some other way.

And I think she didn't want to do that out of pity but only because Bran did not face sudden death: her main worry after the fact was Bran waking up and talking..in this case she wouldn't just have the time to scare him into silence or doing anything else. She just wanted to be sure of his everlasting silence.

By this point in the series I have found myself really liking Jaime. I really, "want" to like him, but I just can't quite do it.

First there is the incestuous relationship he has. That is something touchy. I get the idea that he really really loves his sister, and that is's not promiscuity. I still don't believe that that makes the incest okay, but I understand that it is more about love than about exploring new places to put you junk. I won't say that I'll overlook this, but I will say that I can like Jaime anyways.

Really the only thing holding me back from liking Jaime is that he pushed Bran out of the tower. He tried to kill an innocent child. When that didn't work, he sent an assassin. This is something I can't forgive.

Anyways, I have seen a change, or, I have seen Jaime's true character. Now I do want to like him, but the only thing holding me back from liking him is that he tried to kill a kid. Can anyone ay anything that might make me change my mind about him?

I don't think you have to like or hate any character (except for Jofferey, Ramsey and the Mountain. They seem to be the only characters that are 100% evil through and through) In fact, I would argue that the feelings you have for Jamie are what GRRM intended. Personally, I love Jamie as a character but he has done some seriously awful things throughout the series. The thing that personally draws me to him is his search for redemption. Jamie is a complicated character, that's what makes him so interesting. Maybe you're not supposed to like him until he has redeemed himself. Maybe you'll never really like him and that's fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is 100 percent conjecture. Jaime neither thinks nor says he did it to save his children, as it happens, the one instance when he talks about the incident, he states he did it in order to hide the affair, thus the assessment that he killed Bran for a secret is absolutetly accurate.

(If Jaime displayed affection for his children, the assumption that this was the reason would've at least been a reasonable one, but as it happens, he is indifferent towards them)

This is true, if you read Bran's GoT POV again. Jamie says "the things I do for love" In a voice filled with loathing & pushes Bran from the window. It's not until much later & you understand the dynamic of Jaimie's feelings of self worth that it becomes clearer this is 'self loathing' & loathes the action he is taking to protect their nasty secret. (There are actually lots of clues in this chapter for later revelations)

Archived