[TWOW SPOILERS] Theon I, part vi

Angalin

I have two things to bring up. I'm sorry if they are repeats I have skimmed but not scoured vol. i-v of this thread:

How did Theon recognize Stannis's voice? On the first page: "He knew that voice. Stannis." When did Theon Greyjoy and Stannis Baratheon meet? Am I missing something obvious here?

Is there an error?: Stannis did not reply at once. He studied the man before him, his brow furrowed. "Get up." The maester rose. "You are maester at the Dreadfort. How is it you are here with us?"

"Lord Arnolf brought me to tend to his wounded."

How does this make sense? If Tybald was maester at the Dreadfort, why would Arnolf Karstark have brought him? Then again:

"Answer me. If we were to loose these birds, would they return to the Dreadfort?" The king leaned forward. "Or might they fly for Winterfell instead?"

Why would a Karstark raven fly to the Dreadfort if the Karstarks were about to join battle against the Boltons? To send them a pre-battle greeting? Did GRRM mean to write Karhold in both instances? This part always confused me and this may be why...or I'm missing something...help?

I agree with you that it doesn't make sense, and think it's just a textual error — i.e. it should be Karhold. As you point out, having ravens that would fly to the Dreadfort would also be incriminating.

Some people think it's intentional, though I think you have to come up with a pretty bizarre backstory to get the conversation to make sense that way.

I have two things to bring up. I'm sorry if they are repeats I have skimmed but not scoured vol. i-v of this thread:

How did Theon recognize Stannis's voice? On the first page: "He knew that voice. Stannis." When did Theon Greyjoy and Stannis Baratheon meet? Am I missing something obvious here?

I can't answer your other questions, but presumably Theon and Stannis have talked before this chapter. I imagine Tycho brought Theon to Stannis when he first arrived, and Stannis would have given him a look, and ordered him chained to the wall.

I guess there's a remote possibility of Theon remembering him from the Greyjoy Rebellion, but I think the above's far more likely.

Is there an error?: Stannis did not reply at once. He studied the man before him, his brow furrowed. "Get up." The maester rose. "You are maester at the Dreadfort. How is it you are here with us?"

"Lord Arnolf brought me to tend to his wounded."

How does this make sense? If Tybald was maester at the Dreadfort, why would Arnolf Karstark have brought him? Then again:

"Answer me. If we were to loose these birds, would they return to the Dreadfort?" The king leaned forward. "Or might they fly for Winterfell instead?"

Why would a Karstark raven fly to the Dreadfort if the Karstarks were about to join battle against the Boltons? To send them a pre-battle greeting? Did GRRM mean to write Karhold in both instances? This part always confused me and this may be why...or I'm missing something...help?

Stannis already knows of the Karstark's treachery, and their having Roose's Maester is further confirmation.

Now he needs to know how best to use the information to his advantage. A message to roose at the dreadfort would not brring him out from behind the safety of his walls necessarily, but if the Birds go to winterfell with news of a victory for the Frey manderly karstark alliance, Ramsey would be the first to open the gate to collect the prize prisoners for a spot of Reekifying

What did Theon know? I've only read half of it, sorry if it's explained later on, but it caught my eye.

"The king plucked a parchment off the table and squinted over it. A letter, Theon knew. Its broken seal was black wax, hard and shiny. I know what that says, he thought, giggling."

Edited by Lord Joker Of FunLand

What did Theon know? I've only read half of it, sorry if it's explained later on, but it caught my eye.

"The king plucked a parchment off the table and squinted over it. A letter, Theon knew. Its broken seal was black wax, hard and shiny. I know what that says, he thought, giggling."

I believe it's a letter indicating the Karstark betrayal. Jon sent a raven to Deepwood hoping to reach Stannis (black wax), Tycho stopped off at Deepwood before reaching Stannis, and Stannis takes notice of the note before bringing in the maester he intends to question about the Karstarks.

Him knowing the contents of that letter explains his interest/enjoyment later on as he watches Stannis verbally trap the maester (caught!) and physically trap the Karstarks.

I believe it's a letter indicating the Karstark betrayal. Jon sent a raven to Deepwood hoping to reach Stannis (black wax), Tycho stopped off at Deepwood before reaching Stannis, and Stannis takes notice of the note before bringing in the maester he intends to question about the Karstarks.

Him knowing the contents of that letter explains his interest/enjoyment later on as he watches Stannis verbally trap the maester (caught!) and physically trap the Karstarks.

Thanks! That's what i assumed but wasn't sure.

How would Theon know the contents of a letter from Jon? My thinking was that it was a letter from Ramsay to Maester Tybalt disguised as a letter from the Wall. That's why Theon recognized it.

How would Theon know the contents of a letter from Jon? My thinking was that it was a letter from Ramsay to Maester Tybalt disguised as a letter from the Wall. That's why Theon recognized it.

Well, the seal on it was already broken - Stannis read it earlier, and likely questioned Theon about it. This was from when they confront Karstark about it.