New TWOW sample chapter - coming soon [CHAPTER NAME SPOILERS]

Hmmm... Prologues are all called "Prologue" so far, or that's where my money'd be.

Brienne/Jaime/Cat situation seems sensible...

Theon resolution (probably too good to be true).

Anyway, can't wait!

In the blog GRRM says that the chapter predates all the other samples we know of.

I find it odd that GRRM would write Theon II before Theon I.. same goes for Asha I. Unless she has a chapter before Theon I.

I think this new chapter is not a POV chapter of any of the Characters we´ve already seen in samples.

I stick to my Daenerys guess:

It was a cruel fate, yet not so cruel as Mago's will be. I promise you that, by the old gods and the new, by the lamb god and the horse god and every god that lives. I swear by the Mother of Mountains and the Womb of the World. Before I am done with them, Mago and Ko Jhaqo will plead for the mercy they showed Eroeh

1. If he wrote it a long time ago it's a main POV

2. It's a main POV where the character is not using their real name.

3. It's pivotal as he has taken the time to rewrite it often, which also means it's complicated for the author.

4. Mercy is a french girls name, so it's a girl.

5. It clearly has multiple meanings.

That's I'll I am guessing at and I look forward to the internal debate where I tell myself I won't read it, even though I want to. And the debate is on, and... now it's over and I am going to read it.

Of course the "Mercy" thing might be a hint. Perhaps TWOW is finished and GRRM is showing mercy by releasing it soon and ending our torment.

A man can dream. :(

More like he is begging for Mercy from the fans who bother him about when Winds is do out.

Brienne seems to make the most sense. I'm hoping for Sansa though.

Brienne and Sansa are the POVs I want to see the most because we've been waiting forever to find out what happens to them. (Jaime's chapter in ADWD doesn't count because there hasn't been a resolution to the Lady Stoneheart plot yet.) Davos would be nice, too.

According to Ran here: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/104993-george-has-released-a-newparagraph/page-16#entry5562289

It answers a question some have been fervent to discover the answer to since 2011. :hat:

A question like "Who/what/where is Izembaro", perhaps? Arya does sound like the best bet right now, with "Mercy" being her new FM identity.

1. If he wrote it a long time ago it's a main POV

2. It's a main POV where the character is not using their real name.

3. It's pivotal as he has taken the time to rewrite it often, which also means it's complicated for the author.

4. Mercy is a french girls name, so it's a girl.

5. It clearly has multiple meanings.

That's I'll I am guessing at and I look forward to the internal debate where I tell myself I won't read it, even though I want to. And the debate is on, and... now it's over and I am going to read it.

That's a very good breakdown for trying to figure out the POV of the chapter. Alas, GRRM is sneaky and I'm afraid to even try and apply such logic to him.

According to Ran here: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/104993-george-has-released-a-newparagraph/page-16#entry5562289

A question like "Who/what/where is Izembaro", perhaps? Arya does sound like the best bet right now, with "Mercy" being her new FM identity.

This certainly throws any POV's that weren't in ADWD out of the window, so Arya is the most likely possibility now.

Wouldn't that contradict the "no new POV's" thing?

Well, if it was written before all of the sample chapters, that means it was written originally for ADWD, so it wouldn't contradict his statement. That would be a fantastic chapter! And for all we know, it could be the introduction to the trial and The Hound finding out that Robert Strong is indeed The Mountain. That would be a questioned answered. Though I have a feeling it is going to be Arya.

Archived