New books

HarrStark

I hope he splits them up like he has done with previous books, His explanation with the others to do it from different characters perspective worked great for me.

It is a testament to his story telling and writing skills. these books are the first books I have read in 20 years (35 now) and I am near the end of the last book out to date.

Does anyone know if he has split The Winds Of Winter in to more than one book?

I think with the success of the HBO Series Game of Thrones that there is definitely an incentive for GRRM to extend the series. Anyone know when the next book will be out? My fear is he will not finish the series before he dies. GRRM is 65 after all. I'm not even sure what the final resolution will be to end the books on? Is it when Westeros finally has an undisputed monarch or is it that men survive the winter and the onslaught of the Others or is it something completely different.

I to am nearing the end of ADWD and I'm like, now what do I read? I hear that there are Dunk and Egg stories and I looked it up on Amazon but I'm a little confused. Is this only a comic book? Is there a cheap paper back text only book that I can buy? Are there any other series of books that even comes close to A Song of Ice and Fire you can recommend?

GRRM has stated that he does not wish to separate the characters again, so I doubt that will happen.

I think with the success of the HBO Series Game of Thrones that there is definitely an incentive for GRRM to extend the series. Anyone know when the next book will be out? My fear is he will not finish the series before he dies. GRRM is 65 after all. I'm not even sure what the final resolution will be to end the books on? Is it when Westeros finally has an undisputed monarch or is it that men survive the winter and the onslaught of the Others or is it something completely different.

I to am nearing the end of ADWD and I'm like, now what do I read? I hear that there are Dunk and Egg stories and I looked it up on Amazon but I'm a little confused. Is this only a comic book? Is there a cheap paper back text only book that I can buy? Are there any other series of books that even comes close to A Song of Ice and Fire you can recommend?

Extending the series will mean that the series will need to pauze for a few years, to wait until GRRM has written another book. With the show already threathening to surpass the books, I doubt that will happen. GRRM has his end of the story, and only needs to write it down, filling in the blanks as he goes.

The Dunk and Egg stories are available in three different anthologies. The Hedge Knight can be found in Legends, the Sword Sword in Legends II, and The Mystery Knight in Warriors.

The Hedge Knight and The Sword Sword are also available in graphic comic editions. The Mystery Knight will become available in such a form as well, but that's still being made.

The Hedge Knight, the Sword Sword, and the Mystery Knight will all three be put in one book, named A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, which should be released sometime next year. You can read all the details about it on GRRM's not a blog entry from a few days ago, here. In his blog entry, he also mentions the next two Dunk and Egg stories, which exist in some form of another, but which won't be worked on further until Winds of Winter is finished.

Unfortunately, there is no text only paperback edition that you can buy, but as I said, that should become available next year.

Since there has been a gap of 5 and 6 years for the last two books and that we actually have no clear idea how long it willl take until The Winds Of Winter and A Dream Of Spring hit the bookshelves, it may take as long as the previous releases, I think prolonging the series looks very unlikely. George R.R Martin may very well be nearing his eighties, if all goes well which we certainly hope for him. Working news plots and ideas must be very time and energy consuming, especially at this age. Unless someone is ready at hand, to take charge of the materials and pursuie Martin's work lest his health's fails, I think it best, as a fan, for Martin to give a clear conclusion to the series.

There is also the issue with the HBO series but I don't think that should be the main reason why, since in some cases, TV shows have been known to take different path then the original materials on which they were based on.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm nearing the end of ADWD and I have to say that even though GRRM has gotten far older since writing the early books, his story telling and style remain absolutely top notch to me. I'd never have known the books were written over a period of 20 years just by reading them....

I hate how AFFC and ADWD are split up- I end up reading back and forth on them. The only sensible way to split it up (if he does, which I doubt at this point) would be to break it off in the middle and not separate the characters.

I hate how AFFC and ADWD are split up- I end up reading back and forth on them. The only sensible way to split it up (if he does, which I doubt at this point) would be to break it off in the middle and not separate the characters.

He considered that, but that would have lead to him cutting off all the storylines in the middle, and that turned out not to work.

He hopes never to have to split characters again, though. :)

Unless someone is ready at hand, to take charge of the materials and pursuie Martin's work lest his health's fails, I think it best, as a fan, for Martin to give a clear conclusion to the series.

Martin will very unfortunatly not allow that and has instructed that upon his death all his notes are to be destroyed.

Martin will very unfortunatly not allow that and has instructed that upon his death all his notes are to be destroyed.

Is this substantiated anywhere? Why would he want his notes destroyed if he died and if he did why would he have told the show's producers the ending in case of his early demise?

Is this substantiated anywhere? Why would he want his notes destroyed if he died and if he did why would he have told the show's producers the ending in case of his early demise?

The show differs from tv. Having the notes destroyed is the only way GRRM can be sure that years later there won't be anyone to acquire the rights to the notes and finisv the series. GRRM wants to finish it, or no one will.

I wish the story goes on forever.

I don't. There's nothing worse than a story lingering on too long. I lost interest in many stories over the years for precisely that reason.

Archived