Which continent is more "evolved," Westeros or Essos?

Fanless Mace

As we follow events of the Seven Realms and other points North and South in Westeros, we are also learning more about the history and modern culture of the free cities, Slavers Bay, etc. Overall, based on our understanding of how cultures and technologies evolved on Earth, would you say that Essos or Westeros was further along the path towards modernity?

Consider weaponry and other technologies, economic structures, slavery vs. virtual serfdom, inclusion of religion in society, levels and types of self-determination or castes or hierarchies, educational systems, etc.

As we follow events of the Seven Realms and other points North and South in Westeros, we are also learning more about the history and modern culture of the free cities, Slavers Bay, etc. Overall, based on our understanding of how cultures and technologies evolved on Earth, would you say that Essos or Westeros was further along the path towards modernity?

Consider weaponry and other technologies, economic structures, slavery vs. virtual serfdom, inclusion of religion in society, levels and types of self-determination or castes or hierarchies, educational systems, etc.

Essos, the people shit there and they are silly as silly, but their system of government and weapons are more advance then westeros. Though they do lose some points for not getting rid of slavery, which is an and makes beggars of freedman, and having the dothraki in the same continent.

I don't think we can compare Essos as a whole against Westeros as a whole since Essos is so much bigger.

I think there are some places in Essos that are more advanced than Westeros, like the Free Cities, and places that are much less, like the Dothraki.

Militarily: Westoros is more advanced I guess. But I don't think any part of human history was dominated by the odd type of warfare we see in Essos, so I don't know how to judge. Overall Westoros is a far more militant culture than what we see in Essos barring the Dothraki.

Socially: We don't really know enough about the social structure of the Free Cities outside Bravos and Volantis to judge. Slavery and serfdom lived side by side in our world for a long time. Essos practices more "classical' slavery than the more modern "chattel" slavery. The cartoonish amounts of slaves in some of Essos probably gives this to the Westorosi as well, however I would say Bravos is the most advanced social society we've seen.

Technologically+Medically: Essosi seems to produce more luxury goods(Myrish laces, lenses). We don't see much in the way of Essosi medical care(nor much detail on Westorosi for that matter) so that's hard to judge. Probably would lean to Essos here.

Economically: Essos appears to have a far more complex economy than Westoros does. Part of that is due to being mad up of different nations but still, got to give this one to Essos.

Essos, the people shit there and they are silly as silly, but their system of government and weapons are more advance then westeros. Though they do lose some points for not getting rid of slavery, which is an and makes beggars of freedman, and having the dothraki in the same continent.

What weapons? There armies are miles behind westeros, tactically and technologically

There governmental structure is different in each so can't really say. The sea lord of braavos is basically a king, volantis is ruled by a triumvirate like Rome back in the day etc

Westeros by pretty much every standard you want to measure such things by: Militarily, governmental, socially.

Like someone said already, Essos is almost a charicature of an ancient civilization rather than anything else.

Now, the Free cities do seem to somehow not be part of the rest of Essos, and to have come quite a bit farther, in some cases even surpassing Westeros.

What weapons? There armies are miles behind westeros, tactically and technologically

There governmental structure is different in each so can't really say. The sea lord of braavos is basically a king, volantis is ruled by a triumvirate like Rome back in the day etc

The myrish make many a great weapon, their crossbows are the best. Yes I know their armies are crap, but weapons aren't. When seeing advancement don't look at the unsullied or dothraki, look to the sellswords and tigers, you, know, people that actually fight wars.

The sea lord is elected more like a president, and the volantean do not tolerate dictators unlike the romans.

The myrish make many a great weapon, their crossbows are the best. Yes I know their armies are crap, but weapons aren't. When seeing advancement don't look at the unsullied or dothraki, look to the sellswords and tigers, you, know, people that actually fight wars.

The sea lord is elected more like a president, and the volantean do not tolerate dictators unlike the romans.

How do we know their crossbows are the best? And what do we know about the Tigers and how they wage war? It's interesting to note that the best mercenary company is westerosi

Good point on the sealord

I dont think the Slaver Bay are less evolved than the others. Slavery isnt a proof of retarded behavior. they only have differents morals. A slavery free world isnt where evolution lead to.

The only idiots of the slaver bay are the ones who sold all the unsuilled(which is basically also their army) to 1 little girl.

But it is true i think Braavoos is truly better than any other city in this world

Archived