[TWOW Spoilers] NEW Chapter Discussion - "Mercy"

TeamMartell

Are the FM going to find out? Arya made a mistake by identifying herself as one of Izembaro's mummers and has a witness. But maybe she can increase her body count and silence them?

Hard to clean up that much blood from your room down 5 flights of stairs... more than one witness at the playhouse... sloppy. Yeah, it's a given the FM are going to find out. She's turned into a serial killer, she couldn't stop herself:

Fuss and feathers, Mercy thought, they only know the Common Tongue. That was no good. Give it up or go ahead. She could not give it up. She wanted him so bad. “I know your tongue, a little,” she lied, with Mercy’s sweetest smile. “You are lords of Westeros, my friend said.”

The problem is that Arya has murdered before in cold blood. That's not new or surprising. Arya carrying out an elaborate show of seduction with practiced ease, luring a man with the promise of sex, and going so far as to return his kiss and touch his crotch (if only to find the femoral artery, to be fair)? That is new, if not super surprising.

Survey question: knowing what's in ADWD, should the Mercy chapter have been left in ADWD to round off Arya's arc, or was it better to push it to TWOW? Thoughts?

It works better as TWOW, for me. IN my opinion, Arya being sent to Izembaro was a good end to her arc--like she had graduated up a level. It makes sense that he cut it out. In my opinion about the only thing that would make ADWD feel more complete is...: I would cut the Jamie chapter and leave it for TWOW and I would probably try to include the Battle of Meereen(unless Daenerys miraculously shows up during it, which I doubt.). Ideally, I'd 've shifted the cersei (and maybe arya?) chapters to AFFC, too, which would give space for the battle

I'm cool with the rest of it ending where it did. I know a lot of others aren't but other story-lines end where they should, I think.

The Prince Garin, mentioned in the play "The Wroth of the Dragonlords", could this be a Dornish Martell Prince? The wroth of the Dragonlords could apply to the war against Dorne Aegon started a few years into his reign, in which Queen Rhaenys was killed.

What do you guys think?

Garin the Great was a Rhoynar Prince. The Valyrians were their enemies.

Words can't describe how uncomfortable that chapter made me feel, and unnecessarily so. If the pay off of it is Raff's death with the line of, "you have to carry me," that could've been achieved without Arya acting with a sexual awareness way beyond her years. It could be assumed that the House is teaching her, but I don't care to think about it. GRRM could, and in fact did, establish Raff as a pedo via the other guard's reaction to Arya's apparent age, so the tongue on tongue and her reaching down to feel his hardness were completely unneeded.

GRRM's sex scenes have been painful enough over the years, but this went straight into Piers Anthony territory. I thought GRRM a better writer than this garbage (and let's admit it, the chapter, for having been rewritten a dozen times, really doesn't read all that well).

Words can't describe how uncomfortable that chapter made me feel, and unnecessarily so. If the pay off of it is Raff's death with the line of, "you have to carry me," that could've been achieved without Arya acting with a sexual awareness way beyond her years. It could be assumed that the House is teaching her, but I don't care to think about it. GRRM could, and in fact did, establish Raff as a pedo via the other guard's reaction to Arya's apparent age, so the tongue on tongue and her reaching down to feel his hardness were completely unneeded.

GRRM's sex scenes have been painful enough over the years, but this went straight into Piers Anthony territory. I thought GRRM a better writer than this garbage (and let's admit it, the chapter, for having been rewritten a dozen times, really doesn't read all that well).

so are you going to stop reading his books?

Oh and Tywin in Lys... a city famous for its bed slaves.

I literally guffawed out loud when i read that in the chapter. It was the first thing that came to mind. Tywin built that tunnel to Chattaya's with his bare hands :)

Could Mercy be playing the part of Arya Stark?

I know perfectly well that Tyrion has nothing to do with Arya, but he has nothing to do with the death of Robert, either, which features in the play (and might well be attributed to Tyrion by the author). It would fit with Mercy playing the part of a minor character with a few lines.

It also makes the lines where she frets over "being late for her own rape" make more sense, if she is indeed playing herself, and her character (i.e. Arya Stark) gets raped in this fictionalized version. The whole second act might be a rape rampage for all we know.

"A sexual awareness way beyond her years"? No, I don't think so. Arya is what now, 12? At 12, a lot of kids are very sexually aware, especially girls, I've found. At my school, I see the 13 year olds, specifically the girls, and the way they act is very sexual. Shit, one of my friends, also a girl, was having regular sex by the age of 13. I don't find it hard to believe Arya is becoming more sexually aware at 12. Especially when you look at her environment. She saw the rape and sexual humiliation of women in the riverlands and Harrenhal, visited a couple of inns and brothels with the Brotherhood, and the ports of Braavos have heaps of prostitutes and courtesans and brothels of different sorts, and she would go on them to sell stuff sometimes. I've gotta admit I find it kind of funny you have no problem whatsoever with a 12 year old girl murdering people in cold blood, which is not a normal or healthy thing at all do to, and something no 12 year old girls do, yet you have huge problems with a 12 year old girl expressing signs of sexuality, something very normal and to be expected :dunno:

It also makes the lines where she frets over "being late for her own rape" make more sense, if she is indeed playing herself, and her character (i.e. Arya Stark) gets raped in this fictionalized version. The whole second act might be a rape rampage for all we know.

Arya tells Rafford she's a maiden flowered (her character is a maiden flowered). Arya herself still hasn't gotten her first period yet.

so I don't think she's playing Arya Stark, but Sansa (if she's playing any Stark at all)

I'm kind of surprised Bobono has managed to last this long as it's open season on dwarfs. Maybe his status as a mummer affords him some protection. Playing Tyrion is a dangerous game, as some might wonder (as Raff did) whether Bobono was Tyrion merely deliberately hiding himself in plain sight. I wouldn't be surprised to learn in a later chapter that someone had the same thinking and acted accordingly.

Someone on Reddit pointed out that in AFFC Cersei heard from someone who claimed that he had seen Tyrion perform in a mummer's show in Braavos. Bobono, maybe? Arya does say that every mummer's group has a dwarf.

I don't understand why there is so much confusion with regards to identifying Tyrion. A dwarf that HAS A NOSE is not Tyrion. A dwarf that is MISSING A NOSE might be Tyrion. Now, if you happened to be a dwarf that was missing a nose, then I could see why you might have a reason to worry...

Archived