[TWOW Spoilers] NEW Chapter Discussion - "Mercy"

TeamMartell

“She’s more brown than black.”

“The first Black Pearl was black as a pot of ink,” said Daena. “She was a pirate queen, fathered by a Sealord’s son on a princess from the Summer Isles. A dragon king from Westeros took her for his lover.”

“I would like to see a dragon,”

This does remind me of a certain black dragon, Daemon II, who had the same name as the first Black Dragon, his father. He was called the "Brown Dragon" in TMK. The girl Arya is talking with is Daena, which was the name of Daemon I Blackfyre's mother, which can further clue us in. Daena's father was Aegon III, originally a prince from Dragonstone, and her mother a Velaryon, the Lords of the Tides, and whose influence is more in the sea than land.

So we have a Targaryen bastard by Aegon the Unworthy whose mother was a queen (Bellegere was a pirate queen) whose descendant became a prostitute. Daena, Dameon's mother, was Baelor's queen, and Serra, a sex worker, is descended from Daemon. The descendents of Bellegere Otherys have used the title of "Black Pearl" like their forebear for generations just like the descendents of Daemon have continued to use the black dragon of their forebear. They continued to follow Daemon to raise rebellions, and try to take the IT.

Also, the Black Pearl descends through the female line. A pearl is a treasure hidden in an oyster, so a black pearl could clue us in to a hidden black dragon descended through the female line.

Hmmm. My first though was "Mummer's Dragon", but then I realised she isn't actually part of the Mummery. Perhaps she will have a larger part to play in Arya's storyline.

I don't think this chapter tells us much about her sexuality. It's not like she desired Raff and when she talked about blow jobs there was no personal desire there either so on that front she has not changed. She is using sexuality but it's just another tool.

I agree, I thought that people were misreading the BJ passage, she was never considering this, it was her internal analysis of how that situation would/could go, it was never a part of her calculation that 'she' Arya would have taken that path. The level of casual sexualization though, of adults pinching her nipples and such is disturbing. Not as disturbing as the recreation of Lommy's death, but just sad all the way around.

She's, like, ten. Her becoming more sexually confident is creepy as fuck.

You should re-read my post. I was arguing that we need to see her GROW GRADUALLY into becoming more sexually confident. That the sexual act we saw her put on in this chapter was out of character, imo, for the Arya we last saw in the books. That even though it is just an act, it's one that requires a sexual awareness and confidence that I don't feel we have seen book Arya develop yet. That the way we saw her behave in this chapter - calling to sailors to meet her by the gate if they had coin, for instance - is inorganic.

I think she is playing Arya Stark - it says a few times "cant miss her own rape - her own murder".

Arya is missing and presumed dead is Westeros... I think this playwright (Forel) is either just adding another depraved act to Tyrion's bloody legacy,

or if he is related to Syrio Forel, or is infact Syrio himself - and may also infact be Jaquen H'gar - he is further writing a cover story - further killing Arya in the eyes of the Westerosi...

So, hows that for a stretch?

While I find the idea that Tywin could only be visiting Lys to further his whoring to be incredibly hilarious, his visit probably had more to do with his position as Hand. It is possible that he was sent by Aerys to find a wife for Rhaegar like Steffon Baratheon was, putting him in a perfect position to sabotage any potential foreign brides, making his plan for Cersei to be queen more likely. It also makes what the Martells did, "stealing" the match with Rhaegar out from under the Lannisters, a kind of karmic payback if he did indeed screw over someone else.

I'm still cool with her, LOL. But, I know now after that chapter in my heart that he's going to kill her when she gets back to Westeros. She's not going to be any master of whispers or 'come back to herself' and live as Arya Stark, she's dying, her entire arc is about death, she's living with an insane death cult that is teaching her death is a gift for crying out loud. She will die I'm sure in some superbadass, sad, tragic, meaningful way, but she's dead. And I will hate him for it.

Arya may be the only one safe from GRRM. aparently arya is his wifes favourite charecter so she made him promise not to kill her.

I think she is playing Arya Stark - it says a few times "cant miss her own rape - her own murder".

Arya is missing and presumed dead is Westeros... I think this playwright (Forel) is either just adding another depraved act to Tyrion's bloody legacy,

or if he is related to Syrio Forel, or is infact Syrio himself - and may also infact be Jaquen H'gar - he is further writing a cover story - further killing Arya in the eyes of the Westerosi...

So, hows that for a stretch?

It has been mentioned upthread a few times but it appears that there is a memory transfer when FM don new faces. "Own rape" and "own murder" could be Mercy's memories. Also note that it is only Arya/Mercy who mentions rape and murder.

She's playing Sansa in the play.

Because it seems the play is retelling Robert's death, and Joffrey's reign, all the way up until his wedding. First of all, Arya was never there while Tyrion was there, but Sansa was. She was even made to marry him. Why put the character of Arya in the play, while ignoring the character of Sansa?

Mercy claims to Rafford that she is a maiden flowered, but that's a lie. Sansa, however, was a maiden flowered, and got her first flowering around the time men had tried to rape her. That fits perfectly.

I'm not saying that Arya specifically plays Sansa in the play, but I doubt she's playing herself, since Arya had nothing to do with Robert's death or Joffrey's reign. As Tyrion's wife, Sansa would be more known throughout the world than Arya, who was nothing to the Lannisters.

"Why put the character of Arya in the play, while ignoring the character of Sansa?" Yeah, they would definitely also have Sansa in the play, I suppose... I wouldn't bet on my guess being right, I'm just saying that it would fit certain clues.

Another excellent sample chapter! Probably the best yet, although I really enjoyed the Theon, and Barristan ones as well. Arianne's was probably my least favorite. The last bit was so good. I absolutely love Arya, and Braavos too for that matter.

As for the lemon tree, I really think it's just a case of only wealthy houses having them in their personal gardens, and not some clue about Dany's memory. That said, it's curious he put that in there.

just so.

but he is a man and if he enjoys a peaceful life he wont anger his wife.

That is a thin thread on which to hang one's hope. All signs point to dead. I don't even know what I am reading for anymore, that leaves me with only two characters who I really want to see live, Jon and Bran, Rickon being a non character cipher for 'future Stark generations' so he doesn't count.

You don't know that for certain. It seems like the most likely thing, but you could be wrong.

I think Ran said earlier in the thread that the character Arya was playing could either have been Sansa or Shae

You should re-read my post. I was arguing that we need to see her GROW GRADUALLY into becoming more sexually confident. That the sexual act we saw her put on in this chapter was out of character, imo, for the Arya we last saw in the books. That even though it is just an act, it's one that requires a sexual awareness and confidence that I don't feel we have seen book Arya develop yet. That the way we saw her behave in this chapter - calling to sailors to meet her by the gate if they had coin, for instance - is inorganic.

Maybe this is because she absorbed some of the personality and memories of Mercy through her face... That's how it works with the Faceless Men, right?

Archived