[TWOW Spoilers] NEW Chapter Discussion - "Mercy"

TeamMartell

Ok you lot i just realized something.

Its probably an assignment, to mess with the Westerosi envoy.

I need to shave before Izembaro sees. Mercy, I’m Mercy, and tonight I’ll be raped and murdered.

This appears to have double meaning. Mercy seems to be aware that this is her last night as Mercy. But is also referring to her character in the play. I think that Raff is probably just a happy coincidence.

About Lady Stork....that is not an actress.

The Gate rang to the sound of Mercy’s name.

“Mercy,” her friend Daena implored, “Lady Stork has stepped on the hem of her gown again. Come help me sew it up.”

“Mercy,” the Stranger called, “bring the bloody paste, my horn is coming loose.”

Shes referring to the guy who plays the Stranger as the Stranger. Daena is calling someone "Lady Stork" and its a play-character's name. Ok. So Arya is not supposed to be Sansa in the play. Someone else is.

Yeah, that's pretty much the point of the face wearing--you can't very well track down someone who's already dead.

But presumably she was placed with Izembaro by the FM. Izembaro knows what she is, if not precisely who. her going rogue like this will be a problem. I think this is where she leaves the FM.

also, I am not at all sure she does not have an FM assignment connected to the play. Maybe swyft himself. she does make clear she's going to go through with the play, but it will be her last time. and, I think she's not going back to the FM after.

The High Septon most definitely does not want Cersei to win. If he didn't want to topple her, he wouldn't have done anything in the first place.

Thats not true, the HS weakened Cersei while strengthening himself, but he didn't declare that Tommen wasn't king. Did you think about what I wrote? Why would the HS want Tommen to not be king after Tommen legalized the faith militant?

Yes, but the FM use those faces to help them kill anonymously. No one knows the "ugly girl" is the one who slipped the poisoned coin to the banker. Mercy leaving with a Westerosi guard who then will be found dead with his throad cut in the water is going to look very, very bad unless you think that she was there to kill Raff, which seems unlikely.

I didn't get the sense the Raff would be found. She says the eels will take care of him, so I think he just sinks and then the eels eat him. The biggest problem is going to be that extra guard wondering where the hell Raff is when the 2nd act comes up and she's doing her little "rape" scene. Especially if they care to question Izembaro because his little girl said to take care of them for anything they want and then Raff never returns.

Yes, but the FM use those faces to help them kill anonymously. No one knows the "ugly girl" is the one who slipped the poisoned coin to the banker. Mercy leaving with a Westerosi guard who then will be found dead with his throad cut in the water is going to look very, very bad unless you think that she was there to kill Raff, which seems unlikely.

It could possibly be bad for the acting company, but other than that, it could never point back to the FM -- unless they've been very careless in some way. Also, isn't Raff wearing mail? I have no idea how much that weighs, but it could be his body never reaches the surface.

We've yet to get any sort of confirmation that it is 301 yet, which means Arya would necessarily have to be eleven. I'm not even sure that we should assume she is close to being twelve since we have no idea whether she was born early in the year or later.

Well, if she was right and was eleven during her first Feast chapter, considering how many months Dance encompassed, she'd have to be getting close to twelve by now.

Just as (more) likely - she is missing after being with a foreigner guard, there's blood at her apartment, he isn't identifiable as referenced by her comments about leeches or eels or whatever and he is seen as the murderer... not her, sweet little Mercy.

Just as (more) likely - she is missing after being with a foreigner guard, there's blood at her apartment, he isn't identifiable as referenced by her comments about leeches or eels or whatever and he is seen as the murderer... not her, sweet little Mercy.

I’m Mercy, and tonight I’ll be raped and murdered. Bammo. You nailed it.

Another point to consider on Shae vs. Sansa: the character says "m'lord" (lowborn) rather than "my lord" (highborn) in the line “Please, m’lord, I am still a maiden.”

Good catch! BUT, maybe she isn't playing either one... Tyrion was a known degenerate who might be ravaging many harlots in this play. Mercy's credit in the playbill: "Tavern Wench 2"

It's safe to say that if she's not twelve she will be very soon -- too much time has passed for her to be eleven much longer. Then again, Arya seems to have stopped keeping track of her own age, so even she may not know for sure.

We've yet to get any sort of confirmation that it is 301 yet, which means Arya would necessarily have to be eleven. I'm not even sure that we should assume she is close to being twelve since we have no idea whether she was born early in the year or later.

Another thing is Braavos has a different calendar than Westeros. They have a different system for keeping track of the days. Not sure if their years equal the same amount as Westeros but either way, Arya is indeed not sure how old she is, because well I'm pretty sure she's lost track of what day it is, between Yoren, Harrenhall, the BwBs and the Hound and then being in a different country with a different set of rules about the days.

This kill I should think will cause her more problems with the FM than the NW guy, she's officially "on assignment" and wearing someone's face when she goes rogue and does a freelance personal kill, and one of the Westerosi envoy's guards, no less, so very high profile, not some random guy that nobody will notice or care about. And her character of Mercy was seen to have left with him, so also, not very subtle or careful on her part.

She killed the Daerion while wearing her own face and playing a role as Cat of the Canals.

but the KM told her that they don't get to kill whoever they wanted. Daerion was strike one, if you want to assume that she was "punished" for killing someone not marked for death. This would be strike two it would seem like.

Mercy is going to disappear with Raff. Not sure if people will assume that a little girl murdered him, I mean come on. She like 12 years old and Raff throws her around like a rag doll. If anything I would assume that people would assume that Raff murdered her and then ran for fear of what the Sealord / King of Mummers / etc. would do.

Yeah, that's pretty much the point of the face wearing--you can't very well track down someone who's already dead.

:bowdown:

The ship insurance guy? He died of a heart attack, the city watch did want to question the ugly little girl for trying to steal from the old man, but she is in no way connected with the "murder"

Raff is going to be taken care of by the "eels" they might not even be able to tell how he died.

Except for the fact that she's returned to do the play, and he can't return to his post due to an unexpected case of knife-in-the-throat.

But she is going back to the play, so they'll know Raff never came back but she did.

They won't really start looking for Raff until the morning. By then, Mercy will have disappeared. Arya will be back in the House of Black and White apologizing to the Kindly Man for taking a life of her own volition and not because someone asked for the gift.

Perhaps more strengthening for this argument, Arya overhears Raff say he is going to follow the Dwarf after the show, in other words she hears where she will be able to kill him away from people but still decides to take what in her own head is a risk to get him to follow her.

Could the key that Arya has in her pocket belong to a "keyholder". Im thinking obtaining that key could have been her mission while with the troupe and thatswhy now she's going to be "murdered"bum... bum... bum

I was wondering about the key as well, could be a key to a different door to the house of black and white, but keyholders was mentioned more than once in the chapter.

Archived