[TWOW Spoilers] NEW Chapter Discussion - "Mercy"

TeamMartell

On the Queen thing:

I've entertained the idea that Mace may name Margaery Queen Regent should she win her trial, just to spite Cersei and hammer the fact home that his daughter is innocent beyond any doubt whatsoever.

That could explain why a queen is mentioned. But from the reading it's very obvious that Cersei must be the queen in question ('having his head' is nothing Marge would do, or Lannister men would fear her doing). That could really be a glitch since they must also be aware of Cersei's walk by now, which could be a hint that Ser Harys was originally supposed to be going to Braavos before the queens were arrested...

The chapter in itself is great work, by the way. Really great stuff. Originally I thought the Faceless Men may be after Ser Harys himself, signed contract with Stannis and all. It would not surprise me if Mercy being there was a distraction the Faceless Men counted on, enabling them to murder Ser Harys. But that remains to be seen.

You're right. Mace Tyrel runs the country now. All the Lannisters are dead except Cercei (discredited), Lancel (off being religious) and Jamie (missing). The queen regent is most likely Margaery

It was super uncomfortable, for me, to read Arya using sexuality like that.. But other than that, really good chapter. I forgot Raff had killed Lommy. I can't wait to read it again in context of the whole book.

AWESOME chapter. Love that there's a play about Tyrion. I wish we could have seen more of it.

And damnit, for as badass as Arya is she screwed up again. Could have had Jaqen assassinate anyone she wanted and made crap choices. Now she passed up a chance to assassinate Harys Swyft in favor of Raff.

I'm betting she heads back to Westeros now.

TheSpiderLion, from the reddit AMA of a guy who saw ep. 401 it seems that what happens to Polliver slightly references this. I guess that's why D and D have read this then. I'd hoped it was because it was consequential. I kept thinking the King o' the Mummers would be Varys somehow...

I wonder if he dropped off Tysha there, Mrs. Grumpy.

AWESOME chapter. Love that there's a play about Tyrion. I wish we could have seen more of it.

And damnit, for as badass as Arya is she screwed up again. Could have had Jaqen assassinate anyone she wanted and made crap choices. Now she passed up a chance to assassinate Harys Swyft in favor of Raff.

I'm betting she heads back to Westeros now.

50/50. Harys Swyft would not have been easy to kill.

+ i dont think she really gives a crap about all that

Arya was clearly playing Shae, not Sansa... Silly folks.

I loved how each of the mummers asking for Mercy's help represented Arya's siblings.

Daena - sewing - Sansa

Stranger - bloody paste - Bran

Izembaro - crown/king - Robb

Bobono - child sized - Rickon

We know from the last conversation that the Kindly Man wondered how Arya should look next time, and tells her she'll have a pretty face, as pretty as her own -- which implies that she's in fact "wearing" Mercedene's face. And given that, I wonder to what degree some of Arya's internal voice may be subtly changed not just by her being a little older and more wordly-wise, but also because we know that a remnant of the deceased's memories come along with them when you don their face; some of their personality might "seep in", so to speak.

I don't know if this is me confusing the show with the book, but could this be a nod to Yoren's threat to the Gold Cloaks when they come the first time to collect Gendry?

I think it is a nod to Lommy Greenhands. Remember Lommy injured his leg and told Raff "you got to carry me" just before Raff drove a spear through his throat. Raffs last words “you’ll need to carry me” before Arya drove Needle through his throat.

People saying that Cersei will definitely win her trial thanks to UnGregor are forgetting something.

Cersei is absolutely certain that UnGregor is her salvation. It's all but screamed out at us that the thing is invincible in combat.

What does GRRM like to do to characters that are 100% certain that an event will turn out in their favor?

I just read a chapter involving crude sexual material, murder and a twelve years old... and enjoyed the sh!t out of it. What does that make of me?

That being said, amazing chapter. Beautifully written and constructed, uneasy to read, and just another confirmation that, screwed up as she may be, Arya is the best and most badass character ever. I am unsure if the end means she will willingly leave Braavos to return to Westeros, if she expects the FM to throw her out, or if she thinks they will do something like making her blind again.

It's very heavily hinted in the chapter that this isn't the first time she kills like that, and from the way it happens it seems she takes an almost sexual pleasure from murder. I see a Romeo and Juliet connection here; she is deflowered by Death. Death is the only true lover she will ever have, it seems.

Seems like all the men around the envoy being Lannister bannermen is a sign that Cersei is back in power, not Marg, else they would be Tyrell bannermen.

Oy that was fucking creepy that she recreated in toto Lommy's death scene.

Plus Harys, the envoy himself, is a Lannister man.

Archived