Maester Aemon (MAJOR SPOILERS)

KellieBom

When Ned died, it cut me deep. I loved that man like a father. But Neds death really taught me the ways of the Westeros. Valar morghulis. It is known.

It has been many books since a death has affected me, and Maester Aemon surprised me. He wasn't even a favorite character. I always liked him, he is a good man and kind, but when he died, I had a little frog in my throat! Where did that come from?!

RIP Aemon Targaryen, Maester of the Citadel. May you ride a great dragon into the night.

it was sad. there were so many things he wanted to know but didn't have the energy or means to come by in his old age. there are two ways to learn from someone's life and actions, and i believe his were both. you either learn how to be/act, or how not to. i think jon and sam will learn to be loyal and pursue knowledge, not that aemon didn't pursue knowledge, but i guess i mean pursue the answers that really matter

For me (as I haven't read D&E stuff) the sad part was he was one of Jon's friends in the Wall, which were admittedly few, an example to Samwell, a tough pillar to the Watch, a member of a major House who had information from long before the actual war, and a possible second "real maester", that is, if the obsidian candle guy really is telling Sam the truth. He was a key to knowledge lost in time and space before he could spread it to the world.

I had a feeling it was all over when they were on the ship and Aemon started making big plans for all the things he wanted to do at the Citadel, and how he wanted to help Daenerys. I know all that ambitious talk was an omen of his demise. Aemon will be missed. He was one of my favorite characters.

Archived