Euron Greyjoy and Pyat Pree

Lord Varys

It's an intriguing thought that the Dusky Woman might be a galmored warlock. That would also sort of explain why she "hissed" at Moqorro "like a snake" when she first saw him (in "The Iron Suitor" I think).

Or she was just freaked out because Moqorro is not a friendly sight, especially when faced suddenly. I am 99% sure that Moqorro is a fire wight and he wears glamor just like Mel. If for a moment the dusky woman saw his real appearance, that can explain her strange behaviour.

This is interesting speculation. Have you considered that Euron was a failed candidate for greenseer? We have have been told that he fell from the tower into the water as a child and upon waking asked his maester if it was possible to fly. He himself says "How do you know if you can fly, unless you take a leap off some tower" (paraphrasing). IF this is true, then he would have some skinchanging capability, latent or otherwise. This seems to be the criteria as described by Bloodraven. That and a coma state. I think his crow's eye shining with malice indicates a pupil pemanently distended due to head injury. We aren't told how long he slept; only that he woke up.

So Pyat Pree aside; Euron could have some formidable abilities of his own. I have wondered if Aeron has experienced Euron taking over his body. If this explains Aeron's dreams of Euron's presence and the screaming, Aeron's fear of Euron. Euron is an abomination in Aeron's mind. I think the reason is shown to us in aDwD in the prologue and with Bran/Hodor.

ETA: I'm very curious to know what Euron sees when he drinks shade of the evening (and becomes Urrathon Night Walker?). For what is he searching? I think part of the answer comes in his "who has seen more gods than I" speech. He's looking for the gods with the avowed purpose of killing all of them. I wonder if he has seen Bran.

I also wonder about Quaithe's warning when she refers to the glass candles burning in the house of Urrathon Night Walker. Urrathon/Urrigon/Euron seems a little too close for coincidence. I wonder if Euron has a port of call in Qarth and whether he has been to the House of the Undying and already knows Pyat Pree. It seems to me that capturing Pyat Pree put Euron in the vicinity of Qarth. Did he kill Pyat or just throw him overboard to float away in the manner of Moqorro?

I've been heavily influenced by Schmendrick's reframing of the AA mythos. IF lightbringer refers to a character rather than a sword specifically; then I wonder who is the sword that broke on the water and who is the sword that broke when plunged into the heart of the lion. I think the first is Euron, the second is Jamie and the third is Bran. What they have in common is that at least Euron and Bran have been tested by the three eyed crow. Whereas Jamie used to jump of the cliffs of Casterly Rock until Tywin put a stop to it.

I think Bran is the Prince who was Promised since Leaf has been waiting for the Bran boy for 200 years. Jaimie seems to be tied to the golden hand that Bran sees in his visions and I agree with OP that Euron could be the badass boss of the last act. He could be the beast of the legend.

As for the red sword of heroes; I think that's in Brienne's possession. She even goes so far as to describe it as a hero's blade. If it is the blade of heroes; then will it pass through several hands?

I also think that Marwyn and Euron are connected. I think Marwyn will turn out to be another badass. Marwyn alread has connections to the Greyjoys and has been sending copies of rare books to the Reader for safekeeping. I wouldn't be surprised if he removed some of the glass candles and sent them to Euron/Urrathon. He seems like one of the good guys but I think he is behind the attack on the Citadel and would have killed Aemon if he had lived to be a danger to him.

Well sorry. It is speculation or wishful thinking after all. I'll be dissappointed if we don't get at least one Euron POV in the next book.

Just because he captured some warlocks doesn't mean that he's in league with them for some weird plot. As with most narcissistic conquerors he'll use whatever power he can that get his hands on. Pyat might be in TWoW but I don't foresee any victory parade for him anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

it's very late here , so excuse me if I save myself a lot of time by copying this over from a post I made on a much earlier thread...

I have serious doubts about the premise that Euron hired the FM to kill Balon. I've always been suspicious about the Ghost of High Heart saying " a man without a face '' instead of simply saying a faceless man... just tricky enough to possibly mean something else...There's a wide range of degrees of symbolism in her dreams, e.g. snakes-in-hair Sansa is symbolic , while giant-slaying -Sansa has one pretty literal explanation , so far... I'm not certain how Euron / Balon fits in... I'm not confident that the HoB&W would even deal with Euron.

The drowned crow is pretty unmistakably Euron and the GoHH later saying of Balon "I dreamed him dead , and he died" identifies the victim as Balon.

I've no doubt Euron was behind the death , but I can't see how replacing Balon with Euron would benefit Braavos , even in the short term. His actions will disrupt trade, and how many people who had their lives disrupted, ended..or just had their businesses destroyed by him , would have to default on their loans with the IB as a result ? And where would Euron's ambition lead him after Balon's death ?Or after gaining the iron throne ? What exactly would be enough for Euron ? The total negative impact of such a contract could far outweigh whatever price was theoretically paid.

This dream description given by the GoHH stays with us. The vivid images , the fact that we easily recognize characters from the other parts of her dream, both lead us to accept the Euron /FM theory. But I think it might be too obvious and we shouldn't forget Euron's wizards.

The report of the captain of the Myraham from ASoS has been given less attention, but I don't think it should be overlooked .He tells Robb...

" You know how Pyke's built on a headland, and part on rocks and islands off the shore , with bridges in between ? The way I heard it in Lordsport, there was a blow coming in from the west, rain and thunder , and old King Balon was crossing one of them bridges when the wind got hold of it and just tore the thing to pieces. He washed up two days later , all broken and bloated. Crabs ate his eyes , I hear. "..(ASoS paperback p. 632)

... Lordsport is on Pyke , so it's not like this tale has traveled far and grown in the telling before the captain heard it. And if there's truth to this story ,it would have been unlikely the FM waiting on the bridge could have escaped himself.

But looking at the wizards ...

From AFfC , The Reaver , paperback, p. 613.. Victarion has just won a victory in The Sheilds . He thinks, resentfully , "Aye, "...... "A great victory for the Crows Eye and his wizards. " ... The text goes on to explore his resentment further , and then , from the same chapter , p. 615 .. " The ironborn had come in on the evening tide , so the glare of the setting sun would keep them hidden...." - So, in from the west , then. (like Balon's storm )

And - " ... The wind was at their backs , as it had been all the way down from Old Wyk. It was whispered about the fleet that Euron's wizards had much and more to do with that , that the Crow's Eye appeased the Storm god with blood sacrifice . How else would he have dared to sail so far to the west , instead of following the shoreline as was the custom ? "

As far as I know ,it's never even been hinted that FM use weather magic.

The one thing we can be sure of from the GoHH's dream is that Euron engineered Balon's death , but the how is still open to question. He may never have had a dragon egg , or he may still have one, or he may actually have thrown it into the sea in a black rage, as he tells Victarion. ;) ( but I somehow doubt that one )

I don't see a Euron /FM contract being very desirable to either side , particularly when each has other means to try to acheive their goals.

• 1 month later...

Ok how about this... Euron/Victarion succeed in spell-binding at least two of the dragons (probably all three of them)... then takes them back to conquer Westeros. Euron claims the iron throne and Dany is left in Mereen. She pursues Euron to Westeros to save her children. Somehow she succeeds just in time to join in the fight against the Others. So Dany finally makes it back to Westeros and saves her dragons from the evil hell-horn.

What's the percentage possibility that this will happen?

Ok how about this... Euron/Victarion succeed in spell-binding at least two of the dragons (probably all three of them)... then takes them back to conquer Westeros. Euron claims the iron throne and Dany is left in Mereen. She pursues Euron to Westeros to save her children. Somehow she succeeds just in time to join in the fight against the Others. So Dany finally makes it back to Westeros and saves her dragons from the evil hell-horn.

What's the percentage possibility that this will happen?

I dont think it possible at all. Nor Victarion nor Euron will ever control any of the dragons... Moqorro is key :) Just yet I cant tell how it will play out, but Martin will surprise as no doubt :)

• 1 month later...

Sometimes elaborate magical schemes don't turn out as well as the evil servants of darkness expect... Euron also gave Vic that maester, who is just as likely to be a glamour as the dusky woman. He was probably even a better choice for an undercover warlock since he thought he would be able to use his influence to manipulate Vic. Being in charge of the ravens also gave him an advantage in this grand plot of deception.

What he didn't count on was getting raped by his own crew, then thrown overboard at the whim of a big scary fire priest who popped out of nowhere. Talk about bad luck!

Does Euron not also claim he survived a trip to the smoking sea? There are some intresting things in the new book about that area that may apply to both Euron and Dany.

( I don't know if I am allowed to site info attained from the new ice and fire book ????????????)

Just use spoilertags

[/ spoiler]. Remove the space between / and spoiler and you're good to go ;)

Sometimes elaborate magical schemes don't turn out as well as the evil servants of darkness expect... Euron also gave Vic that maester, who is just as likely to be a glamour as the dusky woman. He was probably even a better choice for an undercover warlock since he thought he would be able to use his influence to manipulate Vic. Being in charge of the ravens also gave him an advantage in this grand plot of deception.

What he didn't count on was getting raped by his own crew, then thrown overboard at the whim of a big scary fire priest who popped out of nowhere. Talk about bad luck!

Not really. A FM wouldn't have been raped in that situation, he would have killed a few people, quitly if possible and made sure he wasn't the victim. Furthermore, the maester has a prior history. I believe he came from one of the Shield Islands. Finally, there is also the heavy death-forshadowing with the Dusky Woman.

There is an ancient legend out of Asshai that there his a hidden city of shadow people so old they have no name. They are said to have taught the Valyrian's how to control the dragons

I think Euron may have used black magic to kill his brother. He waisted no time gathering troops and heading for the dragons.

There is an ancient legend out of Asshai that there his a hidden city of shadow people so old they have no name. They are said to have taught the Valyrian's how to control the dragons

I think Euron may have used black magic to kill his brother. He waisted no time gathering troops and heading for the dragons.

Black magic? Don't you agree on the Faceless theory?

Finally, there is also the heavy death-forshadowing with the Dusky Woman.

Please explain :D

Black magic? Don't you agree on the Faceless theory?

The Faceless theory is a good one and seems most likely. However the end result is still the same. Euron shows up out of nowhere just after Balon dies, when he was a wolrd away and banished. GRRM loves to tell us story fables, gives us clues through profecies and such. I think when the story is over we may not know the answer to many questions that we mull over on these boards and around the world.

the ghost of high heart vision lays credence to this.

"

The old gods stir and will not let me sleep. I dreamt I saw a shadow with a burning heart butchering a golden stag, aye. I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings. I dreamt of a roaring river and a woman that was a fish. Dead she drifted, with red tears on her cheeks, but when her eyes did open, oh, I woke from terror. All this I dreamt, and more.[2]

– the ghost of High Heart, to Tom, Lem, and Greenbeard"

I don't have an e-book, so I can't quote the entire exchange, but this is what Moqorro said to Victarion in the chapter where they meat for the first time and Vic's hand gets healed:

Moqorro: "Your death is with us now, my Lord. Give me your hand."

Victarion: "My hand. What do you know of my hand?"

Moqorro: "I have seen you in the nightfires, Victarion Greyjoy, You come striding through the flames stern and fierce, your great axe dripping blood, blind to the tentacles that grasp you at wrist and neck and ankle, the black strings that make you dance."

When Moqorro says this to Victarion, there are only three people in the room. Victarion (unlikely to commit suicide), Moqorro (who could have let Vic rot away then and there and who has zero connections to euron) and the Dusky Woman. This heavily implies that the Dusky Woman will do him in eventually.

Especially when you recall another famous line about Euron. Sadly Victarion does not take his own advice by heart: "Euron's gifts are poisoned"

Now, the Dusky Woman was a present to Vic from Euron. She obviously has a connection with Euron. Victarion on the other hand is totally blind to the possibility. He doesn't suspect a thing and tells her all his plans. That would certainly qualify as "being blind to the tentacles that grasp you at wrist and neck and ankle, the black strings that make you dance."

Personally, I am convinced that the Dusky Woman is the FM (rogue or otherwise) that killed Balon. I think she's in league with Euron and that Victarion's mission to get Dany is more a front than anything else. That horn needs to be blown and a sacrifice of blood must be made to bind a dragon to a family. Victarion is Euron's sacrifice, with his brother's blood, he'll try to claim a dragon for his own.

Archived