[TWOW Spoilers] March 2014 Chapter Part III

Stubby

Comments have to be approved before they appear, so he easily could have ignored the question as I'm sure he does with the hundreds of other plot-related comments that people are posting.

I don't know, the fact that he responded but didn't say that it was in fact a continuity error... to me it looks like the clearest answer he can give without explicitly saying "Nope, this was intentional" and thereby pretty much confirming the suspicions that Cersei has won her trial at that point in the story.

But why would he confirm it? He has stated in that same section that he doesn't desire to reveal too much and that he is 'at the limit' of chapters he can release without revealing too many details.

I think the trial by combat and Cersei's fate is surely a big plot point and I can imagine George would spoil it this way.

Perhaps his comment is designed to keep the rumour/theories turning over and maybe even to send us in the wrong direction. The release of sample chapters is to keep us busy while he works on the book and carefully chosen not to include too many details.. do you think he would really make a mistake/reveal a major plot detail by answering a question on his blog that he had no need to answer?

I would think that the Westerosi connection to Syrio would more likely be Varys than LF.

Illyrio carries himself like a water dancer so it's not out of the realm of possibility that the two could have been around those circles.

I personally don't think it matters much though.

What is the Iron Bank more concerned with; Getting it's money back or having influence over whomever rules Westeros?

The two are connected in that they'd be invested in finding a financially solvent replacement who'd also be able to take over effectively. I'd think "having influence over whomever rules" would be a means to the end of "getting money back" and/ or maintaining solid "investors."

It sounds very likely to me that somebody anti-lannister might be pulling some strings but I think that we simply have nothing to base any theory on.

If it were Littlefinger, then plot would be very complicated because IB is pro Stannis, and LF very much not.

Then again, he is known to use mummery and bards to affect the politics of Westeros. This would be in character.

Yea, it's probably way too speculative at the moment. It's just that it's such a point of intersection-- finance and the rulers of Westeros-- that it nags me to just take for granted that Braavos wouldn't be performing more negotiations/ having informants with key Westerosi people.

As an aside, I kind of assumed the IB might be hedging bets on the various contenders. As in, Stannis might not have been/ will not be the only one who's approached. Maybe not quite "assumed," but it's something I think is really plausible.

I liked the Arya as Sansa and Bobono as Tyrion interplay going on there, and Arya as Sansa uses the never word, too:

His cock flopped out for the rape... what a hideous thing... a bulbous head the color of a plum...

"We were meant to be together."... "Only when I'm on my knees"...

"But I am formed of darker stuff, of bones and blood and clay, twisted into this rude shape you see before you."

With that, he grabbed at her chest, fumbling for a nipple....

Mercy rose, to tower over the little man. "But you'll never grow another nose. You think of that, before you touch me there."

and

Even his manhood was ugly, thick and veined, with a bulbous purple head...

He wants me to kneel... It was not supposed to be this way...

"I am malformed, scarred, and small, but when the candles are blown out, I am made no worse than other men."...

When he hopped up on the bed and put his hand on her breast, Sansa could not help but shudder...

She stared at... the raw stump of his nose... This is not right.... "And if I never want you to, my lord?"

I saw the never grow another nose more as a nod to the real Tyrion. I wonder what she'll think of him if she sees him. There's no guarantee of it but if she's going to see Dany and dragons then Tyrion should be there right along with her. Although I don't agree with theories I've seen elsewhere that she might kill him. That's not happening. Tyrion doesn't die until near the end if he does die.

I don't know, the fact that he responded but didn't say that it was in fact a continuity error... to me it looks like the clearest answer he can give without explicitly saying "Nope, this was intentional" and thereby pretty much confirming the suspicions that Cersei has won her trial at that point in the story.

He answered by emphasizing the fact that this is not the final draft and that "Mercy" will undergo rewrites. Obviously he wouldn't come right out and say this was (or was not) a continuity error, but answering this question by talking about how he's still going to have to change things looks like the clearest way for him to indicate that this will be changed without coming right out and saying it. (At the very least, emphasizing how things will still be changed definitely doesn't support the idea that he was indicating this to be intentional.)

Is this the first time that the time of day has been given a number, rather that being the Hour of the Bat, or Wolf, or whatever?

"What hour?" Mercy called down to the man who stood by the snake's uplifted tail, pushing her onwards with his pole.

The waterman gazed up, searching for the voice. "Four by the Titans roar"

is it just a Braavosi thing, and would 2 be by the Titans shoe?

What is the Iron Bank more concerned with; Getting it's money back or having influence over whomever rules Westeros?

Probably maintaining its reputation as the people it is a very very bad idea not to pay back. That's worth more than a vault full of gold.

Arya got their hopes up. The sailors will never find Mercy since she's "dead". ETA: Or will be soon.

Oh, and I wonder if Mercy could not always understand them because Mercy doesn't know the trade language like Cat does just like Mercy didn't know the Common Tongue.

She used to hang out with sailors all the time as Cat.

As far as the Forel link, I don't think there's anything there. It seems that George wrote Syrio in without having to think much of his backstory. Since he wasn't going to be included in future books, there wasn't any need to explore that character more, especially since this is a westerosi story and not a free cities story. Not everything that he writes has to be symbolism or hidden agenda or some secret that he wants the reader to figure out.

The parallels with Sansa's wedding night chapter were all over the scene between Arya and Bobono. they leapt out all over the page. The hideous bulbous purple headed cock had me laughing so much my husband gave me a raised eyebrow and asked if I might care to share what was so hilarious!

What a good chapter...

I don't know if someone already mentioned it (not going to read all the posts now, I'll leave it for times of famine ^^) but I love the fact that Harys Swyft's terrible saga of misfortunes continues.

First of all, we get the mention of his wife, who seems quite... interesting, to say the least.

Then we happen to know that he's entrusted with a risky task he's most likely doomed to fail (the Iron Bank will support Stannis, if Theon's spoiler chapter can be taken into account).

But what I find most interesting it's the fact that his own guards do not refer to him with titles, nor with his name. It's just "he", if not right out "bloody bugger". We already know since of ACoK that guards do despise him, plus Tywin is referred as Lord even if already dead since time.

Recognising Harys Swyft in the crowd was the happiest moment of my read!

About Arya... I'm not that disturbed: sexuality can be used as a weapon, and she uses it as a proper tool.

I mean, we are talking about a child who has stabbed, poisoned and generally murdered/caused the death of about a dozen people. Her flirting with someone who is going to be killed in minutes is not, and should be not, our main source of disturb.

As far as the Forel link, I don't think there's anything there. It seems that George wrote Syrio in without having to think much of his backstory. Since he wasn't going to be included in future books, there wasn't any need to explore that character more, especially since this is a westerosi story and not a free cities story. Not everything that he writes has to be symbolism or hidden agenda or some secret that he wants the reader to figure out.

Well, hang on-- at the very least the repetition of Forel is a bit of joke about all those "is Syrio dead" questions he's gotten, and a play on Shakespeare, so there's something intentional going on. I mean, it's not random chance that yields 2 Forels connected to Arya.

But the notion that it's a story about Westeros, and this is a chapter in which a play about KL by a Forel is being performed, is why it's worth asking. I'm not sure if there's a literal connection between the party who recommended Syrio and a possible silent patron behind Phario (I tend to want to say no, but I'm still a little curious). The Westerosi have some degree of investment in the IB's moves given that they've been known to oust political systems, so with that in mind (and that it's probably a safe bet that this will all have an impact back on Westeros), it seems rather logical to at least contemplate that there could be players who might want to influence some sort of an outcome by having connections to Braavos.

The most disturbing thing about Arya for me is not her use of sexuality, but the way her desire for vengeance was described like sexual desire:

It would be best if I could take him back to my place, have him all to myself. But will he come with me?

Give it up or go ahead. She could not give it up. She wanted him so bad.

eeeek! :leaving:

Archived