Harys Swyft's fate

So from the WoW sample just released it's clear that Cersei survived her trial and reinstated herself as Queen Regent. It's also evident she's told Harys Swyft to go to Braavos to treat with the Iron Bank as he'd discussed with Kevan and if he doesn't return with gold he'll be executed. Poor guy considering it was Cersei who created this mess.

So will he get the gold then? Does that mean the Ironbank will fund both Tommen and Stannis? What about the fact that Raff gets killed perhaps he might accuse the Sealord of doing this. Will they just kill him off or use the Faceless Men? Also is anyone else hoping for an epic showdown between him and Justin Massey show up?

Discuss

The bank will probably not give them a penny. What he should be doing is finding a way to refinance the debt and start paying again so the IB stops funding Stannis (not that he knows that)

As far as he'll think, Raff just killed an innocent Braavosi so the Sealord may hold that against him.

We do not know if Arya knows the IB is backing Stannis, so we may need to take her assumptions with a grain of salt

I am not sure it matters too much.

But if it does, maybe Swift will either decide to stay in Braavos voluntarily because going back to Cersei without money is not safe, OR he and all of his party will be taken prisoner as incentive for the throne to pay the debt.

I am not sure it matters too much.

But if it does, maybe Swift will either decide to stay in Braavos voluntarily because going back to Cersei without money is not safe, OR he and all of his party will be taken prisoner as incentive for the throne to pay the debt.

Swyft deciding to not go back to Westeros would probably be smartest decision in his life.

I don't think that Harys being in Braavos necessarily means Cersei won her trial. Kevan tells him in the ADWD epilogue that he has to go to Braavos to talk to the IB, so it's possible he left before the trial.

The older guard says to Raff "If he goes back without the gold the queen will have his head". The older guard seems to be fairly intelligent compared to the average Clegane man-at-arms. He knows things about Essos, thinks it's a ridiculous notion that the dwarf in the play could be Tyrion and isn't a creep like the rest of them. So overall i personally consider him a fairly reliable source and it implies Cersei is in power again. She can't execute Swyft unless she's in a position of power and all her power comes from being Tommen's regent

The older guard says to Raff "If he goes back without the gold the queen will have his head". The older guard seems to be fairly intelligent compared to the average Clegane man-at-arms. He knows things about Essos, thinks it's a ridiculous notion that the dwarf in the play could be Tyrion and isn't a creep like the rest of them. So overall i personally consider him a fairly reliable source and it implies Cersei is in power again. She can't execute Swyft unless she's in a position of power and all her power comes from being Tommen's regent

I agree.

So from the WoW sample just released it's clear that Cersei survived her trial and reinstated herself as Queen Regent. It's also evident she's told Harys Swyft to go to Braavos to treat with the Iron Bank as he'd discussed with Kevan and if he doesn't return with gold he'll be executed. Poor guy considering it was Cersei who created this mess.

So will he get the gold then? Does that mean the Ironbank will fund both Tommen and Stannis? What about the fact that Raff gets killed perhaps he might accuse the Sealord of doing this. Will they just kill him off or use the Faceless Men? Also is anyone else hoping for an epic showdown between him and Justin Massey show up?

Discuss

How do you know that the Queen Regent isn't Margaery?

Not that it makes too much difference.

I think Swyft is done for as is their loan. From the Braavosi perspective, Stannis looks stronger.

The only way Braavos gives Swiyft the loan is if he agrees to pay Stannis' debts just as Stannis agreed to pay the Iron Throne's. I suppose that's possible.

Wait, wasn't Harys' mission to placate the Iron Bank not to take more gold from them? Why would Cersei need more gold since she's the Lady of Casterly Rock (the richest person in the kingdoms, if I'm not mistaken)?

How do you know that the Queen Regent isn't Margaery?

Not that it makes too much difference.

I think Swyft is done for as is their loan. From the Braavosi perspective, Stannis looks stronger.

The only way Braavos gives Swiyft the loan is if he agrees to pay Stannis' debts just as Stannis agreed to pay the Iron Throne's. I suppose that's possible.

Swyft is Cersei's creature.

Could be a continuity error however which might get fixed. It's just a sample, not necessarily the final version.

Swyft is Cersei's creature.

Could be a continuity error however which might get fixed. It's just a sample, not necessarily the final version.

He's not Cercei's specifically. He's just loyal to House Lannister. He was also loyal to Tywin and Tyrion.

He was appointed Lord Treasurer. I don't see any particular reason the Tyrells would remove him.

I think it's very likely Margaery is Queen Regent. I hardly see Swyft as Lord Treasurer as proof of Cercei's return as Regent.

Ser Harys would effectively be removed from the Small Council by sending him as an envoy to Braavos. He can't vote on the council and perform his duties from Braavos, or can he?

As to Cersei's apparent restoration to power: I'd take that with a lot of salt. Neither Raff nor the other guy mention Cersei's walk of shame, although that walk must have happened before they left for KL. That's especially irritating since they also make fun of poor Ser Harys' wife, which should be a huge sign that they would have talked about Cersei's walk when mentioning her - be she Queen Regent again, or not.

My guess is that those lines reflect an earlier draft of the conception of AFfC/ADwD when Harys was indeed supposed to go to Braavos before Cersei's fall.

The queen quote could mean a host of things. The guards could be ignorant of how things have changed in to capitol, the Iron Bank could be feeding him false information, Cersei could have ordered Harys before her trial since she still is his liege, they could mean Margaery, they could mean whoever is Aegon's queen, they could even mean Myrcella or Daenerys for all I know.

Wait, wasn't Harys' mission to placate the Iron Bank not to take more gold from them? Why would Cersei need more gold since she's the Lady of Casterly Rock (the richest person in the kingdoms, if I'm not mistaken)?

Yeah it was to restore a working relationship between the crown and the Iron Bank. In ADWD prologue they discuss the need for gold to hire sellswords seeing as they can't really raise new forces from the westerlands. In regards to the gold of Casterly Rock and this has been discussed in a couple of threads. I think that either the Lannisters are really cheap or their gold is vastly overstated (like Dorne having 50000 troops). Kevan considers using Casterly Rock gold as a last resort to pay back the Iron Bank, Cersei could've used Casterly Rock gold to pay the debts or to make her ships but she does neither and just uses whatever money the crown had and the Westerlands' forces were sent home to collect the harvest when Tywin could very well have bought food with all this supposed gold and keep his troops intact.

It would be hilarious if we find out that it's like how Xaro had nothing in that vault like he claimed in season 2

While I think it is well established that Cersei was in power at the time Harys Swyft left KL, I don't know that it confirms that Cersei won her trial. With Kevan and Pycelle dead, the Faith would almost have to postpone the trials - for the funerals if nothing else. Harys could have left KL after his son-in-law's (goodson?) funeral but before the Queen's trial by combat. I wonder if Raff would be talking about Ser Gregor the way he did if Robert Strong had been revealed (as I think a lot of people think will happen win or lose during the trial). As for his fate in Braavos, I think he doesn't make it out alive. The Iron Bank may have ways of getting someone more sympathetic to their interests into that position.

Archived