Small Questions v 10027

Stubby

Is there any simple explanation for the feud between Martells and Tyrells? Or is it just the common border? But then, the Stormlands also shares a border...

The Oberyn/Willas incident is what made the feud a feud between two specific families. Before that, the Reach just wasn't a big Dorne fan, since their customs are so different, and they were constantly having small border wars etc. But he Tyrells specifically hating the Martells is all because of Oberyn and Willas.

I'd add to that that the Reach/Dorne situation is similar to that between Wales and England in the 11th-13th centuries. GRRM even uses the same term for the lords who keep the borders-- Marcher Lords. Generations of constant border skirmishing led to an inbred mistrust of the people on the other side.

There was also the incident where a Lord Tyrell was killed by all those scorpions after Daeron (foolishly) appointed him governor of Dorne. I'm sure that didn't help. I think things are actually relatively civil between the two families now. Doesn't Oberyn mention that he and Garlan exchange letters or something and there is no bad blood about what happened?

There was also the incident where a Lord Tyrell was killed by all those scorpions after Daeron (foolishly) appointed him governor of Dorne. I'm sure that didn't help. I think things are actually relatively civil between the two families now. Doesn't Oberyn mention that he and Garlan exchange letters or something and there is no bad blood about what happened?

Ah yes, the end of the short Conquest of Dorne. That cannot have helped either :)

Oberyn and Willas were writing each other letters on regular basis. Oberyn mentioned that Willas does not blame him for anything that happened.

I think that once Mace dies and Willas becomes the Lord of Highgarden, the enimity between Highgarden and Sunspear will be over. Willas does not hate the Martells, Mace and Olenna do.

Do we learn reasons why?

Because they're lazy and talk funny. And the Dornish probably think the Lords of the Reach and the marchers lords are arrogant, pretentious, and soft. And whenever one lord decides to move against his rival on the other side, for water rights, or hunting rights, or some slight against the honor of his house, no doubt he whips up the prejudices of the smallfolk and his neighbors, citing past grievances and ancient history, and gets them to fight and kill and die.

Is there a list somewhere where it is stated which information was revealed only in the comic adaptions of the Dunk and Egg stories? One example I just discovered is the name of the Lord Tully during the Hedge Knight (not given in the Hedge Knight itself, given as being Medgar in the comic adaption of the Hedge Knight only).

Do we learn reasons why?

I think it also has to do with Dorne being the rogue sister that wasn't easily tamed into the Seven Kingdoms. Their identity as a different nation runs deeper than the other regions around them. The Iron Islands have the same issue, but they are islands, so there are no marches to dispute. Even as that, westerlanders (or whatever) and northmen from the west shore despise ironborn as much or more than marchers despise dornishmen.

The difference is that Dorne is held with respect, being a nation that kept away the dragonlords for centuries, and it's both feared and admired, where the ironborne are crappy pirates that nobody likes.

I think it also has to do with Dorne being the rogue sister that wasn't easily tamed into the Seven Kingdoms. Their identity as a different nation runs deeper ... where the ironborne are crappy pirates that nobody likes.

Hahah, great answer!

Hahah, great answer!

Thank you, Ser :)

Is there a list somewhere where it is stated which information was revealed only in the comic adaptions of the Dunk and Egg stories? One example I just discovered is the name of the Lord Tully during the Hedge Knight (not given in the Hedge Knight itself, given as being Medgar in the comic adaption of the Hedge Knight only).

Ok, I read the novellas, not the comic. Besides that generic Tully there, did I miss some important info?

Is it known when and how Jorah sent word to Illyrio that Daenerys was pregnant? We know he likely sent word of Viserys's death from Vaes Dothraki via the Pentoshi caravan, and of the dragons from Qarth via some ship bound for the west. The show suggested he rode for Qohor as soon as he heard Daenerys was pregnant. But that wasn't in the novels was it?

Are Wex and Cotter Pyke noble bastards? How does one end up at the wall and the other illiterate?

They both are. Wex is Lord Sawane Bolton's nephew, his father being Sargon Botley.

At least one of Cotter's parents is highborn, since he got the "Pyke" surname, too. I don't think we are told how he ended up on the wall.

As for Wex, maybe he did not grew up at his uncle's court? If he lived with his lowborn mother, it makes sense that he'd be illiterate. Or maybe he just wasn't interested in letters, like the Lord Baratheon from tPatQ.

They both are. Wex is Lord Sawane Bolton's nephew, his father being Sargon Botley.

At least one of Cotter's parents is highborn, since he got the "Pyke" surname, too. I don't think we are told how he ended up on the wall.

As for Wex, maybe he did not grew up at his uncle's court? If he lived with his lowborn mother, it makes sense that he'd be illiterate. Or maybe he just wasn't interested in letters, like the Lord Baratheon from tPatQ.

Pyke is the surname for iron islands bastards. So I don't think that Cotter should ne highborn.

Does Sam still have that horn with him in oldtown or did he leave it at the wall?

Last mention in Sam's Chapters AFfC:

The captain wanted Aemon’s chain as well, but there Sam had refused. It was a great shame for

any maester to surrender his chain, he had explained. Xhondo had to go over that part three times

before Quhuru Mo accepted it. By the time the dealing was done, Sam was down to his boots and

blacks and smallclothes, and the broken horn Jon Snow had found on the Fist of First Men. I had

no choice, he told himself. We could not stay on Braavos, and short of theft or beggary, there

was no other way to pay for passage. He would have counted it cheap at thrice the price if only

they had gotten Maester Aemon safe to Oldtown.

Archived