Small Questions v 10027

Stubby

Oh I see - I am app-less, unfortunately.

But looking at the app I think they were referring to Wex having to be taught his letters to explain everything that happened with Ramsay and Winterfell so maybe Wex wasn't trying to tell them just about Rickon but it came out in the wash later on. I guess we won't know for sure until WoW.

I find it easy to imagine Wex literally not having words for what happened with Ramsay and Winterfell. Aside from being mute and illiterate. I think that, too, would be hard to guess for the questioners if they had no inkling as to which treasons and perversions Ramsay was into.

Is it known when and how Jorah sent word to Illyrio that Daenerys was pregnant? We know he likely sent word of Viserys's death from Vaes Dothraki via the Pentoshi caravan, and of the dragons from Qarth via some ship bound for the west. The show suggested he rode for Qohor as soon as he heard Daenerys was pregnant. But that wasn't in the novels was it?

Looking at both text and the Journeys map from The Lands of Ice and Fire, Daenarys crossed Norvos and Qohor. The other places they pass are all ruined cities, long uninhabited. However, Daenerys notices that she is pregnant "at the far side of the Dothraki Sea" where there are no true cities anymore either. When news of her pregnancy reaches court in KL, Varys tells them Daenerys "is nearing Vaes Dothrak, where it means death to draw a blade" (or something similar to this). Either there is a ruined city where still trade and such is going on, that we simply don't know about in description, or Jorah send word in Vaes Dothrak, and Varys was only pretending that Daenerys hadn't reached Vaes Dothrak yet.

I can't see another way, though perhaps there is one.

Haha, that's why I added my voice to your question :laugh:

I just found this: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/List_of_characters_and_arms_in_The_Hedge_Knight_graphic_novel_collection

It's only about the Hedge Knight, but still.... it's something.

On Wex:

Having re-read the chapter where Davos meets Wex, this is what I can say about it.

Wex is a mute, and muteness is the inability to speak because of a speech disorder. Wex is very much capable of pointing out places on a map, he does so in the chapter.

Muteness can have several causes. Either there are problems with the parts of the body necessary to produce speech (throat, vocal chords, etc.), or there is an intellectual disability, or autism. You can either be born a mute, or become a mute later in life due to injury or disease.

I first thought I might have been overanalyzing this, but I read this on the subject: Trauma or injury to the Broca's area of the brain can cause muteness.

Broca's area is the brain area involved in producing speech. While aphasia of Broca's area (caused by a lack of oxygen to the specific brain area) makes the patient lose the ability to produce speech (both spoken and written, and thus not what is going on with Wex), dysarthria is a motor speech disorder, specific for the production of speech (spoken). The patient will still be able to produce sounds, but won't be able to produce words. This disease can eventually lead to anarthria, where the patient suffers from a complete loss of speech.

Even though it is possible that Wex at some point of his life (during birth, later on..?) suffered from trauma in his Broca's area, it is most likely that he was born with his muteness. Still being able to understand speech, and even being able to learn how to write, shows that several of the neurological disorders that crossed my mind are not the case. Though I am glad I was not completely wrong in my overanalyzing, I doubt that any of it was actually the cause.

The tourney Walder Frey mentions to Catelyn in Game of Thrones, which tourney is this? He mentions his sons were riding, but mentions as well that the tourney occured more than a year ago. However, in addition, he mentions that during that tourney he approached Jon Arryn about fostering Sweetrobin, which was the first time Lysa Tully learned of Jon Arryn's plans of having Sweetrobin fostered with Stannis. This led to Lysa poisoning Jon.

Am I wrong to say that this tourney was the tourney on Joffreys 12th nameday? Jon Arryn died 2 weeks later. I know it's not more than a year ago, but I do believe it was confirmed somewhere that this was when Lysa learned of Sweetrobin going to Dragonstone, right?

The wiki places the tourneyin 297 AL, but it seems strange to me that Jon and Stannis delayed sending Sweetrobin away for so long after deciding it, and Lysa not doing anything about it for a year. Is the wiki wrong here (and should it thus be corrected)? I think it is, but I'm really wondering what you guys think.

I couldn't get an answer in the WOW thread, cause it's hot there, so I'll ask here.

I don't think it's a spoiler, but I'll put the tags anyway:

Does Syrio mention he has a playwright brother in AGOT and when?

Thanks.

People are claiming that he did, but I haven't been able to find anything.

Most likely, people have concluded they must be brothers because both men are

from Braavos and both men have the last name Forel. Yet, no textual evidence has

been found for this claim, and until such a moment, you should consider it not

true, I think.

from Braavos and both men have the last name Forel. Yet, no textual evidence has

true, I think.

:agree:

I gave up trying to get an answer in the WoW thread, but I've since talked to someone who has looked very closely at Syrio and considers this claim bs.

true, I think.

I gave up trying to get an answer in the WoW thread, but I've since talked to someone who has looked very closely at Syrio and considers this claim bs.

Thank you both. It had more to do with my immediate feeling

that they were brothers

, so when someone claimed there was evidence, I was like, "Yey, I was right" ":P

that they were brothers

, so when someone claimed there was evidence, I was like, "Yey, I was right" ":P

It's possible, of course. But there is absolutely no evidence for this right now. Perhaps we'll get evidence some day, perhaps we won't. For now, consider it a theory, and not fact.

that they were brothers

It's possible, of course. But there is absolutely no evidence for this right now. Perhaps we'll get evidence some day, perhaps we won't. For now, consider it a theory, and not fact.

That whole thing is a crackpot goldmine though, that should give everyone enough to argue about until WoW finally does come out. :D

Regading Wex; why did I think he had his tongue removed? I could be imagining that though

Regardih Syrio:

I personally think they are relatives of some degree, but it exosts as a little golden gem to find. Theh may be brothers, cousins, second cousins teice removed or whatever :D

Regading Wex; why did I think he had his tongue removed? I could be imagining that though

Regardih Syrio:

I personally think they are relatives of some degree, but it exosts as a little golden gem to find. Theh may be brothers, cousins, second cousins teice removed or whatever :D

The striking similarity in the first names is what makes me think they are brothers. Syrio and Phario sound as names to give two brothers, or even twins.

Also another ASOIAF-short story to be released this year. Happy days.

Yes, The Rogue Prince, or the King's Brother, which will appear in the anthology Rogues, which will be released on June 17th this year :) The World of Ice and Fire: The Official History of Westeros and The World of A Game of Thrones will be released this autumn.. :)

Are Wex and Cotter Pyke noble bastards? How does one end up at the wall and the other illiterate?

They're both illiterate, actually. Maybe Cotter's taking the black has to do w Balon's Rebellion? Ironborn have had a presence @ the Wall in the past--if memory serves, Harren's brother was LC @ one point...

Archived