Small Questions v 10027

Stubby

1.How do the ravens work?

2. Are the Andals and the first men pretty much like Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals?

3.What's the deal with airline food?

1. It's magic. They used to speak the messages.

2. No. Like Saxons and Normans.

3. I'm so old I remember when they used to give that stuff away for free.

Question before my re-read of aDwD. What's the deal with Harry Strickland and the elephants? There is something I'm missing about him or he simply likes elephants?

(for the record, I like elephants, especially tiny toy elephants, I collect them)

The elephants are part of the GC's attacking force. Obviously in a pitched battle they offer some significant advantage. So when they are lost in the crossing to Westeros he panics. However, at the end of the Griffin Reborn, we discover that some elephants did make it

The elephants are part of the GC's attacking force. Obviously in a pitched battle they offer some significant advantage. So when they are lost in the crossing to Westeros he panics. However, at the end of the Griffin Reborn, we discover that some elephants did make it

Thanks. That's what I thought but I wasn't sure.

ANd I hope Stickland gets all his elephants. Looks like he actually liked them.

Well???

Haha, my own question wasn't answered as well. Wanna trade? :)

The tourney Walder Frey mentions to Catelyn in Game of Thrones, which tourney is this? He mentions his sons were riding, but mentions as well that the tourney occured more than a year ago. However, in addition, he mentions that during that tourney he approached Jon Arryn about fostering Sweetrobin, which was the first time Lysa Tully learned of Jon Arryn's plans of having Sweetrobin fostered with Stannis. This led to Lysa poisoning Jon.

Am I wrong to say that this tourney was the tourney on Joffreys 12th nameday? Jon Arryn died 2 weeks later. I know it's not more than a year ago, but I do believe it was confirmed somewhere that this was when Lysa learned of Sweetrobin going to Dragonstone, right?

The wiki places the tourneyin 297 AL, but it seems strange to me that Jon and Stannis delayed sending Sweetrobin away for so long after deciding it, and Lysa not doing anything about it for a year. Is the wiki wrong here (and should it thus be corrected)? I think it is, but I'm really wondering what you guys think.

All I found on the scented oil was this in Dance:

Ibbenese whalers who reeked of blood and blubber, a pair of bravos with scented oil in their hair, a fat man out of Lorath who complained that Pynto’s booths were too small for his belly.

No courtesans I'm afraid..

I think you are right that the wiki is wrong (ha, that sounds so bizzare :p). Joffrey isn't old enough when the Royal Party reaches Winterfell for his 12th nameday to have been in 297 is he?

I think you are right that the wiki is wrong (ha, that sounds so bizzare :P). Joffrey isn't old enough when the Royal Party reaches Winterfell for his 12th nameday to have been in 297 is he?

Well, seeing as how we see his 13th nameday, and he's still 13 on the first day of 300 AC, we actually see Joff turn 13 in 299 AC, meaning that his 12th nameday was in 298 AC, a fortnight before Jon Arryn died :)

But it is true that Lysa learned about Sweetrobin going to Dragonstone at Joff's 12th namedaycelebration (tourney) and that that's why she poisoned Jon within a fortnight after that, right?

Most likely yes. I don't think it was just that which lead her to poison him, but that was the straw that broke the camels back si to speak, which allowed Petyr to give her the push over the edge

I thought so :) I'll change that then..

Stupid Walder, misremembering... aargh..

Edit: whoever made the page, he has put all the correct info on it, it's actually called Tourney for Joffrey's 12th nameday ... Seriously only the date is wrong haha..

Stupid Walder, misremembering... aargh..

Actually, Walder doesn't say it happened "more than a year ago" but "It was, oh, a year ago, no more." So I guess Walder could be approximate, with his meeting with Catelyn happening in the late 298, and Joffrey's tourney in the early 298, ten or eleven months ago.

Actually, Walder doesn't say it happened "more than a year ago" but "It was, oh, a year ago, no more." So I guess Walder could be approximate, with his meeting with Catelyn happening in the late 298, and Joffrey's tourney in the early 298, ten or eleven months ago.

Aaaah, stupid me then, for not reading correctly :) *facepalm* I always read that sentence as "It was, oh, a year ago, no, more."

Forgive me..

I have no doubt it was at Joffrey's tourney. And thanks! I was wondering if Daenerys's smells of home were associated with courtesans.

What is this mark Lord Godric Borell mentions to Davos?

When Davos saw her hand, he stared. Lord Godric did not fail to make note of it.

"Aye. She has the mark. Like all Borells, for five thousand years.[...]"

Is this the webbing evocated before?

"[Lord Godric] had a sort of webbing bewteen the tree middle fingers of his right hand."

Webbed hands would improve one's swimming skills for sure. Did Martin allow a little human genetic evolution to some of his characters?

What is this mark Lord Godric Borell mentions to Davos?

When Davos saw her hand, he stared. Lord Godric did not fail to make note of it.

"Aye. She has the mark. Like all Borells, for five thousand years.[...]"

Is this the webbing evocated before?

"[Lord Godric] had a sort of webbing bewteen the tree middle fingers of his right hand."

Webbed hands would improve one's swimming skills for sure. Did Martin allow a little human genetic evolution to some of his characters?

This has the relevant information. I think the part you want is around 6 minutes but I'm not sure

ETA: I also have a question. For those who were in tPatQ spoiler discussion, can you remember how many dragons Ran said were excluded from the text? I tried searching the thread but Ran's name is too short :)

Thank you :) You wouldn't happen to know of any way to isolate Ran's comments in that thread would you? I'm trying to track what extra info he gave

For the sake of completeness, here's the quote:

Q: I read it half asleep both last night and this morning; Is Silverwing, Sheepstealer & the Cannibal the last living dragons at the end?

Ran: There's one more that was omitted from TPatQ. So four dragons in total.

Regarding the search function:

(1) type in "ran"

(2) you then get the usual error (search keyword below 4 characters)

(3) but now you are also in the advanced search function for this thread, so scroll down

(4) simply erase "ran" from the search field (leave it blank)...

(5) ...and type "ran" into the "find author" field

For the sake of completeness, here's the quote:

Regarding the search function:

(1) type in "ran"

(2) you then get the usual error (search keyword below 4 characters)

(3) but now you are also in the advanced search function for this thread, so scroll down

(4) simply erase "ran" from the search field (leave it blank)...

(5) ...and type "ran" into the "find author" field

:D you are a wonderful person :D (and Rhaenys too :)

Archived