Small Questions v 10027

Stubby

Thank you :) You wouldn't happen to know of any way to isolate Ran's comments in that thread would you? I'm trying to track what extra info he gave

1. Go to the Search Form.

2. Type "Ran"(without quotes) next to Find Author.

3. Next to Display Results select As Posts

4. Next to Topics with at least type in 2082 in the 1st box and 205906 in the 2nd. This will isolate all of Ran's posts within TPatQ thread.

5. Next to Result Sorting select Ascending.

Theon was a lean, dark youth of nineteen

I know the Greyjoys are First Men and supposedly white-skinned, so what is this "dark youth" about? It's not like Theon has a dark personality or mood, and George seems to be describing him physically so that wouldn't fit anyway.

I know the Greyjoys are First Men and supposedly white-skinned, so what is this "dark youth" about? It's not like Theon has a dark personality or mood, and George seems to be describing him physically so that wouldn't fit anyway.

I'm just wildly guessing here, but I thought it was referring to Theon's hair color or maybe clothing.

I second the thought of CreativeName, I think it's about his hair colour, not his skin. Had he been blonde, it probably would have said "Theon was a lean, blonde youth of nineteen" or something like that.

I'm pretty sure all the Greyjoys have dark hair and dark eyes.

While doing a little bit of background reading on the Wiki (not sure how reliable the Wiki is) I noticed that Houses Glover and Tallhart are said to be Masterly Houses not Lordly Houses. I am just wondering if anyone knows what the difference is?

While doing a little bit of background reading on the Wiki (not sure how reliable the Wiki is) I noticed that Houses Glover and Tallhart are said to be Masterly Houses not Lordly Houses. I am just wondering if anyone knows what the difference is?

A Masterly House is like the House of a landed knight in the South, since there are almost no knights in the North.

Think "Master of Deepwood Motte" instead of "Knight of Ninestars".

A Masterly House is like the House of a landed knight in the South, since there are almost no knights in the North.

Think "Master of Deepwood Motte" instead of "Knight of Ninestars".

Thanks, was just confused. Also does a Master of a House have the same powers and prestige as a Lord?

Thanks, was just confused. Also does a Master of a House have the same powers and prestige as a Lord?

I assume it is the same as a landed knight, i.e. he does not have the right of pits & gallows, but otherwise rules his lands and gathers taxes like an actual Lord would.

Also the style "Lord" is considered more prestigious than Ser or Master (the latter we never actually see used, iirc?), even though a petty lord could own less lands than a powerful landed knight, in theory.

Who sent Swyft to Bravos.

I cant see it being Cersei. Unless she is silly enough to think she can get a loan after she defaulted on her payments.

If anything what chapter is this discussed so i can read it. I must of missed it.

I cant see it being Cersei. Unless she is silly enough to think she can get a loan after she defaulted on her payments.

If anything what chapter is this discussed so i can read it. I must of missed it.

It was Ser Kevan Lannister and the information comes from his epilogue chapter in ADwD. He sent him in order to try reestablishing good relations between the Iron Throne and the Iron Bank.

The chapters this is mentioned in is the new sample chapter, Mercy, which is available on GRRMs website. Due to its contents being new, we're to use spoiler tags. Discussion about the chapter can be done in the Winds of Winter subforum. There are already three rather long threads about this chapter, but I've found that asking questions in those threads usually results in being ignored.

If you ask questions about the capter here, put them in spoiler tags.

This was placed about spoilers in the beginning of this thread:

Also, please DO NOT post spoilers from the new TWOW chapter in this or any other General (ASOIAF) thread.. Such comments must be properly spoiler tagged or (better yet) not posted here at all. For the record, we consider publishing the identities of the POVs as spoilers.

In the Merchant's Man it is stated that Quentyn and his friends changed ship in Lys, and that that's where they boarded the Meadowlark. However, a little further in the chapter, Quentyn thinks the following about his voyage on the Meadowlark:

The captain of the Meadowlark led his crew in a prayer for the souls of their slain shipmates. Then he turned to his Dornish passengers, the

three who still remained of the six who had come aboard at the Planky Town.

Planky Town is a town in Dorne, where Quentyn and his friends first took ship. This ship brought them to Lys, where they boarded the Meadowlark. So is the statement in the quote a mistake? Perhaps it's because I'm not a native speaker, but I take the last sentence to mean that they had boarded the Meadowlark in Planky Town, while in truth, they boarded in Lys.

So is the statement in the quote a mistake? Perhaps it's because I'm not a native speaker, but I take the last sentence to mean that they had boarded the Meadowlark in Planky Town, while in truth, they boarded in Lys.

It's at least a little ambiguous, I have to agree. And it could very well be an outright mistake. Actually, I'm inclined to believe so.

Then he turned to his Dornish passengers, the three who still remained of the six who had come aboard at the Planky Town.

However, this sentence can be read in two different ways, I suppose. (Not a native English speaker myself.) And I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say that GRRM wasn't specifically referring to the boarding of the ship Meadowlark, but instead in general to the journey to the east as a whole.

In other words: "Then he turned to his Dornish passengers, the three who still remained of the six who originally had started their journey (on a different ship) at the Planky Town."

Granted, it's a weak defence and I'm not willing to buy it myself, but I have to admit that to me the sentence is a bit ambivalent. Any native speaker here who can confirm or disprove this?

Just noticed that, in aCoK Tyrion XI :

Hallyne the Pyromancer was waiting on him when Tyrion returned to his solar, and Maester Frenken had brought messages. He let the alchemist wait a little longer while he read what the ravens had brought him. There was an old letter from Doran Martell, warning him that Storm's End had fallen, and a much more intriguing one from Balon Greyjoy on Pyke, who styled himself King of the Isles and the North. He invited King Joffrey to send an envoy to the Iron Islands to fix the borders between their realms and discuss a possible alliance.

Tyrion read the letter three times and set it aside. Lord Balon's longships would have been a great help against the fleet sailing up from Storm's End, but they were thousands of leagues away on the wrong side of Westeros, and Tyrion was far from certain that he wanted to give away half the realm. Perhaps I should spill this one in Cersei's lap, or take it to the council.

Pycelle's chambers is under the rookery, so I guess he's in charge of the ravens. If Pycelle had seen this letter, he surely would have tell Cersei. So does that mean that Frenken works for Tyrion and intercepts letter for him ?

Just noticed that, in aCoK Tyrion XI :

Pycelle's chambers is under the rookery, so I guess he's in charge of the ravens. If Pycelle had seen this letter, he surely would have tell Cersei. So does that mean that Frenken works for Tyrion and intercepts letter for him ?

Maybe Grandmaester Pycelle, Maester Ballabar and Maester Frenken split up their work in the rookery? If that's the case, Frenken was simply the first to receive the messages and pass it on to Tyrion, the current Hand of the King. Or another possibility: Frenken was bringing the letters forth from his own rookery in Stokeworth. He might be travelling between KL and Stokeworth quite a lot, since the two places are fairly near to each other.

By the way, Frenken was also the first to receive Stannis' message regarding the incest of Cersei and Jaime. He was at Stokeworth at that time. (Tyrion III, ACOK)

“Maester Frenken received the first missive at Castle Stokeworth,” Grand Maester Pycelle explained. “The second copy came through Lord Gyles.”

Other than that, I don't believe he is actively working for Tyrion (as an accomplice). However, he seems to be the only one of the Maesters who Tyrion can really trust. After the Battle of the Blackwater, Tyrion specifically demands Frenken as his healer after dismissing Ballaber. But I don't think we should read too much into that.

Edit: typo

Archived