Small Questions v 10027

Stubby

Maybe Grandmaester Pycelle, Maester Ballabar and Maester Frenken split up their work in the rookery? If that's the case, Frenken was simply the first to receive the messages and pass it on to Tyrion, the current Hand of the King.

It could be that. I just find it curious that important letters could slip Pycelle's attention.

Or another possibility: Frenken was bringing the letters forth from his own rookery in Stokeworth. He might be travelling between KL and Stokeworth quite a lot, since the two places are fairly near to each other.

In that case King's Landing should have or would receive its copy, and Cersei would know.

Since one of the letters Franken brings Tyrion is an old letter, isn't it possible Tyrion just asked to see any letters that had arrived in the last month or so?

I understood that as the raven having taken his time from Dorne to get to King's Landing

Prologues are always about someone's death, and so I found the prologue in ADWD unusual in that Varamyr Sixchins doesn't die. Oh, his body's dead, but he lives on in One Eye. When I first read it and saw Thistle is a wight who One Eye realizes recognizes him, I assumed Thistle would get him, but no. Summer recognizes One Eye is being warged, and I assume One Eye recognizes Summer for being warged as well.

Any thoughts? Do you think Varamyr will be able to take over Summer when Bran leaves him for a while?

Prologues are always about someone's death, and so I found the prologue in ADWD unusual in that Varamyr Sixchins doesn't die. Oh, his body's dead, but he lives on in One Eye. When I first read it and saw Thistle is a wight who One Eye realizes recognizes him, I assumed Thistle would get him, but no. Summer recognizes One Eye is being warged, and I assume One Eye recognizes Summer for being warged as well.

Any thoughts? Do you think Varamyr will be able to take over Summer when Bran leaves him for a while?

He's dead enough for me.

When in second life, you cant warg again as I understand. Don't have time to find citation, but pretty sure that's what it says.

ETA Varamyr ended Haggons second life by pushing him out of his host, ie Haggon couldn't jump to another one. I think for second life your real body dies, you enter the host, and stay there and over time your personality fades out (your minds are mixing and you ultimately just become a passive 'essence' inside host).

“When the man’s flesh dies, his spirit lives on inside the beast, but every day his memory fades, and the beast becomes a little less a warg, a little more a wolf, until nothing of the man is left and only the beast remains.”

In the prologue, after Varamyr leaves Thistle's body, he goes from animal to animal to animal:

...he was a sparrow, a squirrel, an oak. A horned owl flew silently between his trees, hunting a hare; Varamyr was inside the owl, inside the hare, inside the trees. Deep below the frozen ground, earthworms burrowed blindly in the dark, and he was them as well.

Well, I think I found my answer in that paragraph.

That was his last thought as a man.

True death came suddenly; he felt a shock of cold, as if he had been plunged into the icy waters of a frozen lake.

I think it must be true death not when they make the final jump out of their dying body, but when their body actually dies. So Varamyr was jumping from animal to animal to trees even, with ease, but his jump into One Eye coincided with the death of his actual body. He did, after all, assume once he jumped into Thistle he would lose his warging powers.

ETA: Not only once he jumped into Thistle's body, obviously, once he experienced true death.

ETA 2: Varamyr only expects he will lose his ability, he does not know for sure.

snip

when Varamyr is moving animal to animal, I think his body is still alive. This is when he is in one eye after that....

His wolves would save him, he told himself. That was his last thought as a man.

True death came suddenly; he felt a shock of cold, as if he had been plunged into the icy waters of a frozen lake. Then he found himself rushing over moonlit snows with his packmates close behind him. Half the world was dark. One Eye, he knew. He bayed, and Sly and Stalker gave echo.

The bolding is him entering second life.

Eta sorry misread your post (multitasking), I think we agree if i understand, when body dies trapped in warg host.

snip

Actually he isn't jumping from one animal to another, he is all of them at once:

The white world turned and fell away. For a moment it was as if he were inside the weirwood,

gazing out through carved red eyes as a dying man twitched feebly on the ground and a madwoman

danced blind and bloody underneath the moon, weeping red tears and ripping at her clothes. Then both

were gone and he was rising, melting, his spirit borne on some cold wind. He was in the snow and in the

clouds, he was a sparrow, a squirrel, an oak. A horned owl flew silently between his trees, hunting a

hare; Varamyr was inside the owl, inside the hare, inside the trees. Deep below the frozen ground,

earthworms burrowed blindly in the dark, and he was them as well. I am the wood, and everything

that’s in it, he thought, exulting. A hundred ravens took to the air, cawing as they felt him pass. A great

elk trumpeted, unsettling the children clinging to his back. A sleeping direwolf raised his head to snarl at

empty air. Before their hearts could beat again he had passed on, searching for his own, for One Eye, Sly,

and Stalker, for his pack. His wolves would save him, he told himself.

Yes, I got that feeling as well at points, but he does move from animal to animal, from the owl to the hare, not both at the same time, and that paragraph does go on to say "Before their hearts could beat again he had passed on, searching for his own..."

So I think it's more a feeling of "I am powerful and magnificent, I can be everything" rather than he is literally the whole wood at the same time.

Perhaps a strange question. When I'm on my laptop on the forum, typing posts and such, several words that I type autocorrect themselves (on a laptop without an autocorrect function) by giving the first letter of that word a capital letter. This happens to words like Always and Original, for example (haven't corrected them to show :) ). Is this a thing more people have, and is it a function that can be turned off? It's kind of annoying sometimes.

Once succesfully warged into One Eye, Varamyr will slowly disappear and become One Eye. And like Varamyr said, his power will most likely die with his body, meaning that once he's succesfully warged and his original body has died, he won't be able to warg anymore.

On the topic of characters who don't die in their own POVs... though Varamyr does die (his body and being seizes to exist, only his soul remains in the body of One Eye), Chett actually does survive his POV in Storm, though it doesn't help him much that he dies shortly after, and is eventually spotted as a wight by Sam. But when his POV ends, Chett is still standing and breating :)

On the topic of the One-Eye/Varamyr situation, how is that working with Bran/Summer?

In Bran I he wargs Summer when he dominates One-Eye and takes the pack under his control. Then in Bran II, as they are approaching the cave, mention is made of wolves pursuing them... any ideas?

On the topic of the One-Eye/Varamyr situation, how is that working with Bran/Summer?

In Bran I he wargs Summer when he dominates One-Eye and takes the pack under his control. Then in Bran II, as they are approaching the cave, mention is made of wolves pursuing them... any ideas?

As far as I know the pack is still under Summers control I remember they killed and ate a undead....deer?Or something like that

Summer is now their pack leader, Bran mentions it when he is spending more time in the birds than with Summer:

The moon was a crescent, thin and sharp as the blade of a knife. Snowflakes drifted down soundlessly to cloak the soldier pines and sentinels in

white. The drifts grew so deep that they covered the entrance to the caves, leaving a white wall that Summer had to dig through whenever he went

outside to join his pack and hunt. Bran did not oft range with them in those days, but some nights he watched them from above.

Flying was even better than climbing.

snip

Most likely it is the dictionary installed on the particular browser.

Schroedinger's Chett:

On the topic of characters who don't die in their own POVs... though Varamyr does die (his body and being seizes to exist, only his soul remains in the body of One Eye), Chett actually does survive his POV in Storm, though it doesn't help him much that he dies shortly after, and is eventually spotted as a wight by Sam. But when his POV ends, Chett is still standing and breating :)

Whoa! I'll have to look again at that one.

Schroedinger's Chett:

Whoa! I'll have to look again at that one.

Oh you had me terribly confused for a moment. No Schroedinger's Chett. All he does is survive his own POV in a prologue, which is unexpected after the Prologue POVs dying in AGoT and ACoK ... and later AFfC ... and entering second life in ADwD. All settled.

Aegon the Conqueror was Lord of Dragonstone before he declared himself King, right? So, who was his overlord, if any? Harren the Black, the Storm King? Or was it a, "OK, you have dragons, just stay there and we'll leave you alone" kinda thing?

Aegon the Conqueror was Lord of Dragonstone before he declared himself King, right? So, who was his overlord, if any? Harren the Black, the Storm King? Or was it a, "OK, you have dragons, just stay there and we'll leave you alone" kinda thing?

No one was his overlord. :) The Targaryens ruled Dragonstone all on their own. It was the westernmost outpost of the Valyran Freehold.

Oh you had me terribly confused for a moment. No Schroedinger's Chett. All he does is survive his own POV in a prologue, which is unexpected after the Prologue POVs dying in AGoT and ACoK ... and later AFfC ... and entering second life in ADwD. All settled.

Haha, being a prologue or epilogue POV does seem to increase your chances of dying with an extreme amount.. Makes me fear for who the prologue POV will be in Winds!

No one was his overlord. :) The Targaryens ruled Dragonstone all on their own. It was the westernmost outpost of the Valyran Freehold.

Even after the Doom? I figured power hungry Kings would do anything to get their hands on more land.

Even after the Doom? I figured power hungry Kings would do anything to get their hands on more land.

Even power hungry Kings will leave one family on a small Island alone if that family has 5 dragons :) It's not like those kings can work together and march towards Dragonstone.. They'd have to go by ship, which will unfortunately sink once a dragon sets it afire. Also, Dragonstone would be too small to divide amongst the kings, nor would there be much profit from the lands (one of Stannis' main complaints about Dragonstone).

Archived