Small Questions v 10027

Stubby

Hey guys and gals this is my first post and im sorry if this question has been asked before. Does grrm's world have a name? As in the collective name for westeros, essos, ulthos and the rest.

It's usually referred to as Planetos or GRRth.

It's usually referred to as Planetos or GRRth.

:agree: Though I don't think he has ever actually named it. Some of the characters in the book refer to "earth" on a number of occasions but I think that is usually just in the same context as "ground".

Is there somewhere I can find a description of all the house sigils? I would swear I saw such a list in the past, but it doesn't come up on the Wiki with anything I've used.

HERE ya go!

There is a whole site dedicated to it on westeros.org

Thank-you, mindchap, I had not thought of looking there. But I would swear I saw on the Wiki (or somewhere else) actual depictions of the sigils, not just written descriptions.

I may have been dreaming, of course. :P

ETA: Duh, just click on the names, eh? My problem was I was searching the Wiki.

Thank-you, mindchap, I had not thought of looking there. But I would swear I saw on the Wiki (or somewhere else) actual depictions of the sigils, not just written descriptions.

I may have been dreaming, of course. :P

ETA: Duh, just click on the names, eh? My problem was I was searching the Wiki.

Yeah there are pics of all the known ones, George has even referenced them on the SSM before.

Ok. Now I have looked at all the sigils, and there are two houses with eagles as part of their sigils, one a minor house barely mentioned, and the other House Mallister.

I was curious because in Tyrion's opening chapter in aDwD, at his dinner with Illyrio, Illyrio says to him

"You Westerosi are all the same. You sew some beast upon a scrap of silk, and suddenly you are all lions or dragons or eagles. I can take you to a real lion, my little friend."

There's more, but it's not important. My question is, why does Illyrio say lions or dragons or eagles? GRRM could have jut written lions or dragons, he didn't have to mention eagles, or he could have mentioned an animal that no one uses that we know of. But the only well known house with an eagle sewn on their clothes and their banners is House Mallister. When and where has Illyrio come across the Mallisters? Their House is on the other side of Westeros, at Seaguard. Any ideas?

Or it could just be a throw-away line (mutter mutter mutter, that could be true :p ).

Ok. Now I have looked at all the sigils, and there are two houses with eagles as part of their sigils, one a minor house barely mentioned, and the other House Mallister.

I was curious because in Tyrion's opening chapter in aDwD, at his dinner with Illyrio, Illyrio says to him

There's more, but it's not important. My question is, why does Illyrio say lions or dragons or eagles? GRRM could have jut written lions or dragons, he didn't have to mention eagles, or he could have mentioned an animal that no one uses that we know of. But the only well known house with an eagle sewn on their clothes and their banners is House Mallister. When and where has Illyrio come across the Mallisters? Their House is on the other side of Westeros, at Seaguard. Any ideas?

Or it could just be a throw-away line (mutter mutter mutter, that could be true :p ).

Well Lions and Tigers and Bears was already taken, eagles are a classic sigil and there is a point to the types of animals being mentioned. He is just making a point is all, that's why he didn't use flowers, and hay stacks, or lemons, or a plow man. He is kind of saying your not all that in a rather subtle verbal way with over the top symbolism. Though this is from a guy with a naked statue of himself in his courtyard. So take it for what it's worth from a bit of an ego maniac who doesn't think he is an ego maniac.

Woulda been way cooler if he'd said griffins...

Ser Creighton, he could have said "lions and dragons and eagles" as a tribute to "lions and tigers and bears", but in which case he could have said "lions and dragons and bears".

Take a look at how we parse every word and phrase here!

mindchap - good idea! A griffin has the head and wings of an eagle. That must be it. :)

Ser Creighton, he could have said "lions and dragons and eagles" as a tribute to "lions and tigers and bears", but in which case he could have said "lions and dragons and bears".

Take a look at how we parse every word and phrase here!

mindchap - good idea! A griffin has the head and wings of an eagle. That must be it. :)

I wrote a 20,000 word theory on the symbolic use of repetitive 3 breaking down each use of the word used in the rule of three into sub categories, theorized the use of every form of punctuation in said rule, applied 17 different rhetorical devices to said pattern, detailed the use of upper and lower case and how it is defined, and then designed a cypher for it using a possible ascending tricolon, so I have a mild idea oh the type of deconstruction of phrasing, that occurs on the board. Though it was wrong.

If avoidance is a lie, then yes, yes he has many and more times than can be counted. His characters do most of his lying for him. Though do release dates count? Cause then yes his early dates were way wrong though that is a mistake rather than a lie unless he really knew he couldn't finish the books in that amount of time. Which I think he knew, just wanted to toy with the fans hope.

Archived